Need to trust Zimmer to fix their run defense

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Zim needs time and players, but will he have them?
Mac has no contract yet, who knows how this season will turn out? Might be his last chance.
Will the Jones boys revamp everything again next season?
Will they bring Bellichick to sell the fans again?
Buckle up guys, this will be a hell of a ride.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Hopefully Lawson, Phillips and Joseph find a niche here and zims gets it together, lie jerry said better to have bad games in the RS but find it before the playoffs.

I'm not saying that's goanna happen, but I got to have hope it's too early in the season to give up we are 1-1 ties for 1st pace in our division. October is better place to see if they will start improving.
Always believe, come Thanksgiving we will have a better idea how good or bad this team is.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Always believe, come Thanksgiving we will have a better idea how good or bad this team is.
Yes and I know no one wants to believe this but maybe by then or at least at the bye week,

Jerry Jones sees the need either to boost the offense or something big on defense and makes a trade like he did with Cooper people going to say he won't do that but he might do it we don't know what he will do until he really sees the team looking bad you know like the three and five start we had in 2018 when we went out and got Amari...

I can see him maybe bringing in a different running back maybe make a trade for one or a better #2 wide receiver to take the heat off CD lamb would you notice he was getting doubled on every single snap last week or at least it looked like it to me... Ori gets some big piece on defense I don't know what that would be maybe another pass rusher take the heat off Parsons but I think something would happen before the trade deadline but it would usually happen at the bye week that's when Jerry usually makes some changes...

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes and I know no one wants to believe this but maybe by then or at least at the bye week,

Jerry Jones sees the need either to boost the offense or something big on defense and makes a trade like he did with Cooper people going to say he won't do that but he might do it we don't know what he will do until he really sees the team looking bad you know like the three and five start we had in 2018 when we went out and got Amari...

I can see him maybe bringing in a different running back maybe make a trade for one or a better #2 wide receiver to take the heat off CD lamb would you notice he was getting doubled on every single snap last week or at least it looked like it to me... Ori gets some big piece on defense I don't know what that would be maybe another pass rusher take the heat off Parsons but I think something would happen before the trade deadline but it would usually happen at the bye week that's when Jerry usually makes some changes...
Point is, we are just 2 weeks in, whole lot of football remaining, there are going to be a lot of peak and valleys!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Thanksgiving we will have a better idea how good or bad this team is.
As Parcell put it, you wanna play your best ball after T'givings. In other words, hang around the top of the division to give yourself a chance to win on the backend.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Zimmer has a strong track record of having good, disciplined defenses, we have to trust he will find some solutions to least make the run defense hold up.
Hiring another re-tread, especially a geriatric one who was completely out of the league for multiple years was a mistake.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Having a good run defense isn't too difficult. There are many things a DC can do to help out stopping the run. Clearly you can play more men inside the box, play bigger alignments, etc. However, to have an effective run defense cannot be undisciplined, beaten up at the point of attack and tackle poorly.

Yes, we all know there are personnel issues, especially inside at the DT position, but the Edge lineman, including DLaw have struggled against the outside zone runs for years. Our linebackers have really struggled to get off blocks, sure better DT's could help, but they need to be a better job of reading and reacting before a hat gets on them.

Jerry/Stephen have to give Zimmer the necessary resources if he doesn't have the right players to run his scheme. If some veterans continue to struggle with the fundamentals, Zimmer will not put up with it, like Dan Quinn did for years.

Zimmer has a strong track record of having good, disciplined defenses, we have to trust he will find some solutions to least make the run defense hold up.
mr Cowboyny----very concerned after such humiliating blow out loss to saints in our backyard now facing a very desperate 0-2 Ravens that has all talent in the world to put a beatdown

on .... both offense and defense.....i like Zimmer but i watch tape as many of you do also....the D-Line and linebackers took plays off were getting pushed around like punks....missisng

reads....not crashing in when obviously warranted....Dak truly has only one consistent playmaker...CeeDee.....i would be very surprised we win this game...but i have never said

cowboys will lose a game.....just very concerned

Cowboyny

Reaction score
mr Cowboyny----very concerned after such humiliating blow out loss to saints in our backyard now facing a very desperate 0-2 Ravens that has all talent in the world to put a beatdown

on .... both offense and defense.....i like Zimmer but i watch tape as many of you do also....the D-Line and linebackers took plays off were getting pushed around like punks....missisng

reads....not crashing in when obviously warranted....Dak truly has only one consistent playmaker...CeeDee.....i would be very surprised we win this game...but i have never said

This game will tell is a lot about the team, facing the most physical run team in the league. You are right could be a disaster as the matchup looks ugly.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Hiring another re-tread, especially a geriatric one who was completely out of the league for multiple years was a mistake.
Right because he's running marathons and his age matters because he's pumping iron and out playing on the field oh wait he's doing none of those things so he has all these years of experience with multiple defenses...

You're trying to tell me that there are younger defensive coordinators that somehow recreated the NFL and recreated football and they're running things that Mike Zimmer has nothing and no knowledge at all that it exists and can't run it himself is that what you're trying to tell us that they reinvented the wheel that there are coordinators out there that have secret defenses that no one else runs and no one else can possibly figure it out and run it themselves?

So you're saying somehow that Mike zimmer's age can keep him from being a good coordinator? Why is that I mean I really would like you to explain how his age which usually in the world of business and I would say life means this man has a lot of experience that these young players don't have and his he has the capability to run any defense he wants there's one thing he may not have is all the pieces to do so given I don't know he's a lame duck coach a new hire to come in and take somebody else's players and turn them into something in one season because there is no guarantee he's gonna be back so he had to come in in an offseason and try to find enough players to run his defense and get this turned around overnight because we seen Dan Quinn who other people hired do the same damn thing as we saw last week you know the Green Bay game that was not Mike zimmer's defense that was Dan Quinn's defense and then we saw this with Mike Nolan's defense and we saw this with marinelli's defense and I look around the league and I've seen this way I don't know you can insert any name and they have games like this...

The difference between the great defenses and ones that need work and that are inconsistent up and down are players like more Pro Bowl players more young studs on your team the better you can run a defense and a team I hate I hate to break it to you but talent trumps coaching sure coaching can elevate talent but it's hard to elevate the retrench and let's talk about the retreads along the defensive line that could be causing some of these problems but most of us here have enough of our own opinion that we can watch with our own eyes and tell you that this man just came into the offseason there's a lot of new players trying to run a new defense and the one thing people keep skipping here is Kubiak is one of his ex coordinators and was up in his playbook and in his head and that was the mistake that Zimmerman is probably being less predictable to someone who knows him very well...

Right you're gonna come back with something like this was too long to read and this it makes no sense and I didn't use enough punctuation it's just a ramble and I'm gonna tell you if you think it's because of his age you might wanna look around the league it doesn't matter how old you are it more matters what kind of players you have and you figuring out how to use your players and I think people are gonna give Mike Zimmer some time because when you don't play preseason games and the players are adapting to the coaches and the coaches adapting the players and then you have to see your ex coordinator who knows you very well you might end up having one of these games but I bet if we play the Saints again that this not gonna happen twice especially since there was about 7 blatant penalties that weren't called that could have kept this game a lot closer than it was go back and watch the all 22 and a lot of the offensive lineman were holding a lot of the quarterbacks were holding and they were getting away with everything and we were getting called everything as usual seem like this game had a very predictable outcome it was being steered in One Direction it was quite obvious not saying it's rigged but it definitely was lopsided in the penalty calling.

So yeah his defensive line looked like trash instead of the linebackers but then after I started remembering the game we talked about the no calls but what we really got to watch the film again started watching there were so many holes some tackles by their offensive lineman that weren't even called I mean literally blatant face masks and their corners just mugging our receivers and they just weren't even called or they were picked up so yeah this game had a weird vibe about it it was terrible but your opinion is worse... Rant over

blueblood70

Reaction score
Did you realize that with age comes experience and wisdom the ages mean nothing you know the harbors are in their 60s you look around a lot of the coaches in the league many of them fit the same exact age area the age range you think that because he's older he doesn't know how to run defenses that he can't run defense at super secret other coordinators because of their age they know something he doesn't like he doesn't football like there's something new that he's just incapable of implementing or is it something to do with the fact that he's new to this team and this set of players and then everyone talks about the offseason being historically bad because Jerry doesn't do enough to get actual big time free agent talent in here younger players more studs more talent along the defensive line instead he brings in retread players I mean isn't that the narrative I mean which is it you're trying to tell me that because of coaches age he can't coach I mean him actually playing or coaching because I think you're mixing up the age with a man that has enough experience to run any defense he wants but he has to have the players to do it and the time to implement it you do realize he's brand new to this team right didn't have any of his starters in preseason I'm trying to figure out how you think that age matters when I look around the league and I see some young coaches which are very few and far between by the way they fell just as hard I mean we had Kellen Moore here and he did nothing he didn't do anything with the chargers and they're blaming him for that play call I mean this how is this about age when coaches don't play football it doesn't matter about their physical tools this man has more experience.... His experience says he can get this right that's what this thread's about he can get it fixed but he only has one offseason to try to get rid of Quinns players and try to get his own and then try to make them fit his scheme and also figure out his players so maybe he can make some adjustments we're two games into the season and you're using aegis attitudes because he's old I mean what young superstar coordinator are we talking about here that you think could fix this defense that knows something that he can't pick up on film that Mike Zimmer has nothing like he doesn't know anything about like he is there's coordinators out there reinventing football reinventing defense running things that are so elaborate that no one else can figure it out who's this guy???

I'm not saying he will get it turned around I'm saying let's give him a chance he's been here two games didn't have his starters in the offseason they brought in defensive lineman that are now not working they're injured have you watched that game again there are several and I mean several holding calls on our defensive lineman 1 was a tackle on mozzie that wasn't called I mean the game got away from us Kubiak his ex coordinator got the best of them but don't act like he can't fix this that's what this threads about and I think we're gonna need to give him a chance to do so that's nothing about his age age has nothing to do with coaching the fact is the coaches that are been in this league longer can run any defense or any offense they want they just have to have the players to do so...
I mean you need proof I mean Dan Quinn since he left Seattle even though his defenses are at times playing hero ball and stacking up stats he never ever has been as good as when he had the legion of boom in Seattle... Why is that oh that's right because I had so many Pro Bowl players in players to use that it made the coach look really really good.... I mean that's why Bill Belichick is getting heat right now because since Tom Brady left New England fell apart couldn't restock it with talent and now he's jobless and people are saying he's probably too old to do the job anymore like the league has passed him up no you have to find the talent to run your schemes or it's not gonna work...

kskboys

Reaction score

No one was taking plays off. They were getting dominated, much worse. And that's because we're undertalented.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Point is, we are just 2 weeks in, whole lot of football remaining, there are going to be a lot of peak and valleys!
True, with a caveat that I’ll get to…

The tougher part of the schedule is early on (six of the final nine are at home) and many figured this team needed time to gel given the amount of rookies and second year guys that are basically rookies that they are counting on….that’s fair.

But they can’t squeak into the playoffs and expect to call the season a success overall. If you don’t win your division, there’s almost no chance of a home game, and I just can’t see this team getting to even an NFC final without one.

If they don’t get that far, how it is called progress? Are they building from here? Was this a rebuild/reset year that they didn’t want to admit? Will they then be willing to add the necessary pieces other than using the draft? Is there ANY PLAN at all??

It looks to me as if “secret sauce” is about signing your own stars for big money, and filling in the gaps with rookies and cooked veterans. It’s been more than proven to not work, and gets tougher as you draft lower.

I dunno, maybe a new coach demands change in FO philosophy, but I doubt that person is hired as Stephen and Jerry’s ideas couldn’t possibly be wrong. I mean, who is smarter than them?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Right because he's running marathons and his age matters because he's pumping iron and out playing on the field oh wait he's doing none of those things so he has all these years of experience with multiple defenses...
Cognitive abilities and mental acuity decline rapidly in your 60s. It's just a fact. That's why the mandatory retirement age for airline pilots is 65. Zimmer is pushing 70. The NFL is a young man's game, even on the coaching side, and the game has passed Zimmer by. Jerry knew this when he let go of Coach Landry, who was 64.

There are only 5 head coaches in the NFL 60 or older. Only Andy Reid is 65+

Last edited:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Did you realize that with age comes experience and wisdom the ages mean nothing you know the harbors are in their 60s you look around a lot of the coaches in the league many of them fit the same exact age area the age range you think that because he's older he doesn't know how to run defenses that he can't run defense at super secret other coordinators because of their age they know something he doesn't like he doesn't football like there's something new that he's just incapable of implementing or is it something to do with the fact that he's new to this team and this set of players and then everyone talks about the offseason being historically bad because Jerry doesn't do enough to get actual big time free agent talent in here younger players more studs more talent along the defensive line instead he brings in retread players I mean isn't that the narrative I mean which is it you're trying to tell me that because of coaches age he can't coach I mean him actually playing or coaching because I think you're mixing up the age with a man that has enough experience to run any defense he wants but he has to have the players to do it and the time to implement it you do realize he's brand new to this team right didn't have any of his starters in preseason I'm trying to figure out how you think that age matters when I look around the league and I see some young coaches which are very few and far between by the way they fell just as hard I mean we had Kellen Moore here and he did nothing he didn't do anything with the chargers and they're blaming him for that play call I mean this how is this about age when coaches don't play football it doesn't matter about their physical tools this man has more experience.... His experience says he can get this right that's what this thread's about he can get it fixed but he only has one offseason to try to get rid of Quinns players and try to get his own and then try to make them fit his scheme and also figure out his players so maybe he can make some adjustments we're two games into the season and you're using aegis attitudes because he's old I mean what young superstar coordinator are we talking about here that you think could fix this defense that knows something that he can't pick up on film that Mike Zimmer has nothing like he doesn't know anything about like he is there's coordinators out there reinventing football reinventing defense running things that are so elaborate that no one else can figure it out who's this guy???

I'm not saying he will get it turned around I'm saying let's give him a chance he's been here two games didn't have his starters in the offseason they brought in defensive lineman that are now not working they're injured have you watched that game again there are several and I mean several holding calls on our defensive lineman 1 was a tackle on mozzie that wasn't called I mean the game got away from us Kubiak his ex coordinator got the best of them but don't act like he can't fix this that's what this threads about and I think we're gonna need to give him a chance to do so that's nothing about his age age has nothing to do with coaching the fact is the coaches that are been in this league longer can run any defense or any offense they want they just have to have the players to do so...
I mean you need proof I mean Dan Quinn since he left Seattle even though his defenses are at times playing hero ball and stacking up stats he never ever has been as good as when he had the legion of boom in Seattle... Why is that oh that's right because I had so many Pro Bowl players in players to use that it made the coach look really really good.... I mean that's why Bill Belichick is getting heat right now because since Tom Brady left New England fell apart couldn't restock it with talent and now he's jobless and people are saying he's probably too old to do the job anymore like the league has passed him up no you have to find the talent to run your schemes or it's not gonna work...
If he was hired as DC with the understanding he needs time to rid the team of players that can’t play in his defense before the defense will be successful, then Jerry Jones is the worst GM in NFL history. The league is very different than it was 20/25 years ago. The rules aren’t even the same. It is very possible that the older OCs and DCs in the league are at a disadvantage because their “experience” actually works against them. There’s another ancient DC is the NFCE, only two games in, and his defense is just as unimaginative, and is about to get just as whipped this weekend by the same team the Cowboys “D” struggled with last weekend.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cognitive abilities and mental acuity decline rapidly in your 60s. It's just a fact. That's why the mandatory retirement age for airline pilots is 65. Zimmer is pushing 70. The NFL is a young man's game, even on the coaching side, and the game has passed Zimmer by. Jerry knew this when he let go of Coach Landry, who was 64.

There are only 5 head coaches in the NFL 60 or older. Only Andy Reid is 65+
give it a break you're not bringing me over there I don't care,,,, just stop it nobody is buying into the hype/// the fact is these coaches can still coach and many of them are in the league.. Maybe read if he's 65 he's one of the top head coaches and coordinators in the league it blows up your curve bro give it a break I am not going to side with you I say you're completely in the wrong zip code of this conversation has nothing to do with and more about talent and the fact that he hasn't been on this team long enough to figure out how to uniquely use our talent here or you can say lack thereof 'cause you remember Jerry Jones historically bad offseason didn't do anything for the team but you're blaming Mike Zimmer two games into his only season here??????3

I don't care what you say... So some of the best coaches in the NFL the last decade have been over 65 years old that would be Pete Carroll Bill Belichick and Andy Reid two of them are over 70 right now I realize they're no longer working but your whole theory is getting blown out of the water age doesn't matter as much as having the right players in the right scheme match and he's brand new to the system this is 2 games in and now you're an ageist now age matters in coaching like this dude's playing no your mental acuity is being run down by all the weeds you smoke and the alcohol you drink because you must be hi we're drunk trying to bring age into this argument no debate something else..

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
give it a break you're not bringing me over there I don't care,,,, just stop it nobody is buying into the hype/// the fact is these coaches can still coach and many of them are in the league.. Maybe read if he's 65 he's one of the top head coaches and coordinators in the league it blows up your curve bro give it a break I am not going to side with you I say you're completely in the wrong zip code of this conversation has nothing to do with and more about talent and the fact that he hasn't been on this team long enough to figure out how to uniquely use our talent here or you can say lack thereof 'cause you remember Jerry Jones historically bad offseason didn't do anything for the team but you're blaming Mike Zimmer two games into his only season here??????3

I don't care what you say... So some of the best coaches in the NFL the last decade have been over 65 years old that would be Pete Carroll Bill Belichick and Andy Reid two of them are over 70 right now I realize they're no longer working but your whole theory is getting blown out of the water age doesn't matter as much as having the right players in the right scheme match and he's brand new to the system this is 2 games in and now you're an ageist now age matters in coaching like this dude's playing no your mental acuity is being run down by all the weeds you smoke and the alcohol you drink because you must be hi we're drunk trying to bring age into this argument no debate something else..
If the defense continues to struggle, and it’s not because coaching a defense in the contemporary NFL is beyond Zimmer’s ability, and it’s not because of his age, then the problem will have to lie elsewhere. I assume you’ll be anxious to point out what the issues are.