Negotiating Leverage

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Nvm.. I found it.

Dez accounts for 16.5M of our cap in 2018....

They're going to do something to bring that cap number down. Watch!

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Dez is due for 12.5m in new money this year, all in base salary. If he got cut, it is very likely he would get that much in first year salary and SB when you consider the numbers receivers are getting signed for.
12.5 plus the 4 mil allocated from his original 20 mil signing bonus(split evenly across his 5 year contract).

16.5 mil.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Nvm.. I found it.

Dez accounts for 16.5M of our cap in 2018....

They're going to do something to bring that cap number down. Watch!
4 of it is dead money. So the question is do you want to pay him $12.5 million. That is what is in play here. Considering what other WRs have been signed to, the Cowboys should keep him for that price for another year.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You do realize that a restructure would involve them extending him further and likely giving him more money, right?

Do you think a restructure is he'll just agree to take a pay cut out of the kindness of his own heart?
That is not a restructure..... new money is an extension .....even if it is a pay cut

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Dez won't be asked to take a pay cut, per se. I'm guessing they will ask him to take a lower base salary with incentives that allow him to make the full contract or more. That's a true "prove it" deal, and he's already started preparing for it with his route work.

We gave Lee a similar incentive laden contract related to his injuries and availability; Dez's will be related to production.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
12.5 plus the 4 mil allocated from his original 20 mil signing bonus(split evenly across his 5 year contract).

16.5 mil.

The SB pro rata is just an accounting move. That money is in the bank. If Dez is cut, all he is losing is this year's 12.5m salary. I would almost guarantee he would get that much guaranteed on any new deal, especially when guys like Moncrief and Watkins and Robinson got what they did.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
If I am Dez i am laughing in their faces..
Go ahead and cut me. I'll just get a raise... Did you see what these lesser WR's just got paid.

Come on man.....Stop it already...
The Hurns contract is all Dez would get. His name is worth more than his production at this point and believe it or not teams pay more now for the later.

Sydla

Reaction score
That is not a restructure..... new money is an extension .....even if it is a pay cut

I should clarify. Not new money persay but potentially guaranteeing more of the unguaranteed portion of his contract.

If it was so simple to restructure with no real pain to us, why hasn't it been done yet?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I should clarify. Not new money persay but potentially guaranteeing more of the unguaranteed portion of his contract.

If it was so simple to restructure with no real pain to us, why hasn't it been done yet?
Because the FO is cheap and stupid

Sydla

Reaction score
Dez won't be asked to take a pay cut, per se. I'm guessing they will ask him to take a lower base salary with incentives that allow him to make the full contract or more. That's a true "prove it" deal, and he's already started preparing for it with his route work.

We gave Lee a similar incentive laden contract related to his injuries and availability; Dez's will be related to production.

Why would he accept that though? Why would he take a base pay that he'd earn just being on the team in 2018 for a deal where he could actually lose money if he doesn't make incentives?

I guess you could assume that the leverage is the threat of being outright cut but I don't think that's a fear that Bryant and his agent care about.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Hurns contract is all Dez would get. His name is worth more than his production at this point and believe it or not teams pay more now for the later.

LOL.

Moncrief got a one year deal for $9.6MM and he caught like 30 balls last year.

Dez would get that on the open market easily.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
This is what I am trying to convey to my fellow fans. Dez is no longer who he used to be... He might be lucky to get 8 mil from another team on the open market. So add a voidable year and restructure him down to about an 8 mil cap hit this year so we can bring talent in any other positions.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
From the link I posted above:

3. Add voidable year to deal, restructure 2018 base
One recommendation would be to add a voidable year to his deal and then restructure his 2018 base salary. Restructure bonuses work the same as signing bonuses in that the cap hit can be spread evenly on the remaining years of the contract, up to five seasons. The club could reduce Bryant’s base salary down to the vet minimum for his tenure, $915,000. They then spread that $11.585 million restructure across 2018, 2019 and phantom 2020 at the hit of $3.86 million.

Instead of $16.5 million, Bryant’s cap hit is now $8.78 million ($915,000 base + $3.86 million restructure + original $4 million signing bonus). He’d have an additional $3.86 million in cap hit in 2019 (even if released next season) and would have $3.86 million of dead money in 2020.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I can see him signing a lifelong contract that gets more cash upfront and more guaranteed over longer years but lower cap number . He’s gonna want to win. He’s a cowboy for life. He knows they butchered their cap and cost us ware and can’t manage their roster.

He’s a better wr than they are gm’s

Last edited:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I like QBs that can actually throw it to a receiver in stride so they do not have to stop, dive, or try and be air Jordan to catch it.
Figured the DHC would chime in eventually. Do you have anything to add to the leverage discussion?

jrumann59

Reaction score
He only saves 1MM if traded.

So the notion of getting him off the books doesn’t make much sense.
But if he is going to play about the same number of snaps as Butler why keep him if you can get a draft pick this year or next.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

I would add 3 years and 25m.... and I would guarantee 20m

That would leave us with 5/50m and 20m gtd.......... lower his cap hit to around 10m