Negotiation Tactics and variables (Zeke)

Verdict

Reaction score
There are a lot of different variables in this Zeke contact situation and you can’t overlook how it affects the other players (good and bad).

For example:

1. Zeke holds out, Pollard plays good enough to win (acceptable Zeke substitute).

Does that drive Zeke’s leverage down? Maybe so. But it also might drive Dak’s leverage the other way.

2. Zeke holds out and digs in. If the Cowboys give in and pay Zeke, you can bet that the other Cowboys players who become eligible after their 3rd year will start pushing the envelope too. So the Zeke contract might cost you big with LVE on down the road.

3. Zeke holds out and the game plan features Dak passing the ball. If Dak balls out, then that could really cost us some money. On the other hand if Dak falters his asking price could plummet.

In negotiating with Zeke, the Cowboys seem to have been trying to keep Zeke happy. The Jerry comment about Zeke who is a departure from that. At some point the Cowboys could go nuclear and say if this contract is not done by game 1, we refuse to negotiate with you for the remainder of the season. That is what I would do, personally, and then be ready to ride out the rest of the season. I would be looking for an upgrade over Morris though. He’s done.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
There are a lot of different variables in this Zeke contact situation and you can’t overlook how it affects the other players (good and bad).

For example:

1. Zeke holds out, Pollard plays good enough to win (acceptable Zeke substitute).

Does that drive Zeke’s leverage down? Maybe so. But it also might drive Dak’s leverage the other way.

2. Zeke holds out and digs in. If the Cowboys give in and pay Zeke, you can bet that the other Cowboys players who become eligible after their 3rd year will start pushing the envelope too. So the Zeke contract might cost you big with LVE on down the road.

3. Zeke holds out and the game plan features Dak passing the ball. If Dak balls out, then that could really cost us some money. On the other hand if Dak falters his asking price could plummet.

In negotiating with Zeke, the Cowboys seem to have been trying to keep Zeke happy. The Jerry comment about Zeke who is a departure from that. At some point the Cowboys could go nuclear and say if this contract is not done by game 1, we refuse to negotiate with you for the remainder of the season. That is what I would do, personally, and then be ready to ride out the rest of the season. I would be looking for an upgrade over Morris though. He’s done.
Good points, cant disagree with any of it.

I too would tell Zeke that he has till the last preseason game to accept our offer...………...after that, no negotiations once the season starts.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I'm over him. Trade him. Or let him sit all year and then make him play for this year's contract next year. I am sure missing 3.9m this year plus fines and then not getting his 9m next year will teach him something.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn’t make the trade but I’d be putting out rumours that Cowboys are considering a trade offer by the Dolphins. I bet that gets him to training camp.

Zeke will get paid either by Jerry or some other team this is GUARANTEED!
Again I stress if you consider that the FO want's to keep Jaylon and Byron 1 of the 3 will not get his big money contract.
So is it Coop,Zeke,or Dak who is left without a Kings Ransom?
Smart money is on Dak as he is the least talented.
Time will tell the tale and it should be soon....

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry hasn't fined Zeke yet, to the best of my knowledge. Why show him more respect than he deserves? It might not be a bad time to start! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Good points, cant disagree with any of it.

I too would tell Zeke that he has till the last preseason game to accept our offer...………...after that, no negotiations once the season starts.

What is the point of telling him no negotiations? Doesnt make sense.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score

For example:

If Dak balls out I would much rather pay him than Zeke due to the poor longevity of RBs compared to QBs. Who knows how long before Zeke’s production falls off a cliff as most heavily used RBs do. Could be in year 1 or 2 of his new contract.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I wouldn’t make the trade but I’d be putting out rumours that Cowboys are considering a trade offer by the Dolphins. I bet that gets him to training camp.

No team is going to trade for Zeke unless they know they can extend him. That question would be asked, so how would you answer it if you're bluffing?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
No team is going to trade for Zeke unless they know they can extend him. That question would be asked, so how would you answer it if you're bluffing?

Any team inquiring would already know Zeke expects to be the highest paid RB so they are likely willing to make that happen. You give them permission to talk to his agent after you have an agreement about the trade. Personally, I would let it leak that Zeke is available and see what happens, both on the trade front and with Zeke. I would not give Zeke and his agent permission to go seek a trade though. I would let him stew without being in control of where he might end up. He still could nix any trade by simply refusing to sign a contract with the team but several things could happen. No team could come forward willing to pay him more than Gurley and that then becomes leverage for Dallas. Zeke could decide to take a little less if he really wants to stay in Dallas. Maybe some team comes forward and gives up picks and Dallas is better off with the picks and the cap savings.

CWR

Reaction score

For example:

I feel like signing 30 year old, one dimensional Morris was a complete waste. We need to find a legitimate RB to pair with Pollard. As we are right now there is no one proven to be capable if/when Zeke's hold out is prolonged.

I want to buy the Pollard hype but his ability to withstand 300+ touches is unknown. We need some additional help.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Jerry was smart, he would shut up with the public posturing about Zeke. Silence is the best public negotiating tool. Unfortunately, our GM lacks the ability to ever resist speaking into any microphone placed in front of him.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
My negotiation tactic would be...

giphy.webp

jsb357

Reaction score
JJ & Son should have taken the hard line from the start.

We will NOT negotiate with ANY player with two years left on their contract.

Sent his agent a reminder that under the CBA he will be fined and
DCB will start the process to recoup bonus money already paid.

But the FO could not keep their mouth shut and have created this media frenzy.

JJ rakes in billions for his good decisions.

But he whiffed on this one.

And we as fans wonder why the NFC title game looks the faint light of a distant star in the night sky.

JJ reminds us almost daily.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I mean seriously how much can a team take. Guy ruined the 2017 season. Still causes headaches. Holding out with 2 years left on his deal. A RB??? Imagine giving him $30-40MM guaranteed? Huge mistake. It sucks because he is a great player and talent wise can really be a difference maker but does anyone really believe he is not going to be a problem anymore with a huge deal. Look at what Brown is doing in Oakland. Guys like this are not worth the hassle. They need to deal him before his value is diminished.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
If Jerry was smart, he would shut up with the public posturing about Zeke. Silence is the best public negotiating tool. Unfortunately, our GM lacks the ability to ever resist speaking into any microphone placed in front of him.

This, that is why he ran the tuna out of here.