Negotiation Tactics and variables (Zeke)

morasp

Reaction score
Another variable is Zeke's agent. He's trying to get Zeke top dollar but no deal is reached and the offense looks good without him he doesn't get his payday either.

superonyx

Reaction score
The Cowboys cannot give into Zeke b/c it sets an expensive precedent for every other guy on the team playing on a rookie contract.
Nope. Only RB's.

Do you not realize the difference between contracts and age of RB's vs every other position on the field or are you pretending to not get it?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Any team inquiring would already know Zeke expects to be the highest paid RB so they are likely willing to make that happen. You give them permission to talk to his agent after you have an agreement about the trade. Personally, I would let it leak that Zeke is available and see what happens, both on the trade front and with Zeke. I would not give Zeke and his agent permission to go seek a trade though. I would let him stew without being in control of where he might end up. He still could nix any trade by simply refusing to sign a contract with the team but several things could happen. No team could come forward willing to pay him more than Gurley and that then becomes leverage for Dallas. Zeke could decide to take a little less if he really wants to stay in Dallas. Maybe some team comes forward and gives up picks and Dallas is better off with the picks and the cap savings.

Most of that sounds fine except we're getting emotional again, which serves no business purpose because of this statement.

If you really want to gauge interest, or simply get him off your hands, then commit to it without trying to stick it to him like an angry spouse.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If Jerry was smart, he would shut up with the public posturing about Zeke. Silence is the best public negotiating tool. Unfortunately, our GM lacks the ability to ever resist speaking into any microphone placed in front of him.

His son suffers from the same affliction, which gave us the "starts at Gurley money" stupidity months ago. Then we're supposed to act surprised when Zeke decides he wants Gurley money.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Nope. Only RB's.

Do you not realize the difference between contracts and age of RB's vs every other position on the field or are you pretending to not get it?

Nice lab. Everyone here understands that RBs are unfairly punished by the CBA. Their ability diminishes about the same time their second contract revs up. The stats show this clearly. It stinks for them. That said, under the current paradigm, teams are foolish to dump huge contracts into RBs. Layer on the immaturity Zeke has shown from the jump and Dallas would be absolutely stupid to cave in. Zeke has no leverage. He doesn't get paid. Fines mount. If he doesn't play that contract pushes 1 year out. He is a year older. Probably will do something stupid to diminish his value. The Gurley situation really hurts him. He has ZERO leverage here.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Most of that sounds fine except we're getting emotional again, which serves no business purpose because of this statement.

If you really want to gauge interest, or simply get him off your hands, then commit to it without trying to stick it to him like an angry spouse.

I don’t want to stick it to him. I want to move the situation along to a resolution and I think him not having any control over what might happen could help get things moving. Sure, he could refuse to sign a deal with another team but then he is throwing away the money he wants and what are his options then? Continue holding out and lose money or accepting Dallas’ offer. You basically have 4 outcomes if you put a trade on the table and 3 of them are good for Dallas. First, I’d gladly take a 1st for him and recoup all that future cap space and be done with the headaches. Second, he could decide to accept a deal much closer to the current offer and I’d be happy with that outcome as well. Third, he could end his hold out and play on his current deal while continuing to negotiate. If no trade materialized, that is leverage for Dallas. I think we all would love this scenario. Fourth, he could simply continue to holdout. That’s really the only bad outcome and it’s exactly where we are now so that’s why I would do something to move it along to one of the other three outcomes.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Zeke will get paid either by Jerry or some other team this is GUARANTEED!
Again I stress if you consider that the FO want's to keep Jaylon and Byron 1 of the 3 will not get his big money contract.
So is it Coop,Zeke,or Dak who is left without a Kings Ransom?
Smart money is on Dak as he is the least talented.
Time will tell the tale and it should be soon....
Zeke has no path to getting a new contract from the Cowboys or any other team so long as Jerry wishes to enforce the current contract. As long as the offense does not falter sans Zeke, this is exactly what will happen. The only contracts that need to be paid this season are Amari and Dak's. The current cap space will easily allow this to happen. 2020 is the last year of the current CBA which allows teams to utilize the franchise tag and the transition tag in the same season. Look for these tags to be used on Byron Jones and Jaylon Smith if they do not agree to terms for an extension. The Cowboys do not have a salary cap problem now or impending next season. What they have is what Stephen Jones is calling a distribution dilemma, but as Jerry has emphasized, these things will work themselves out. The Cowboys are resolute to allow Zeke to sit out the entire season. This will remain their position so longs as the offense does not falter. Guaranteeing Zeke will get paid is just foolhardy.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke has no path to getting a new contract from the Cowboys or any other team so long as Jerry wishes to enforce the current contract. As long as the offense does not falter sans Zeke, this is exactly what will happen. The only contracts that need to be paid this season are Amari and Dak's. The current cap space will easily allow this to happen. 2020 is the last year of the current CBA which allows teams to utilize the franchise tag and the transition tag in the same season. Look for these tags to be used on Byron Jones and Jaylon Smith if they do not agree to terms for an extension. The Cowboys do not have a salary cap problem now or impending next season. What they have is what Stephen Jones is calling a distribution dilemma, but as Jerry has emphasized, these things will work themselves out. The Cowboys are resolute to allow Zeke to sit out the entire season. This will remain their position so longs as the offense does not falter. Guaranteeing Zeke will get paid is just foolhardy.

I'm saving these post so we can refer back to it at some point in the future.
I laugh when you state that the Boys are resolute in having Zeke sit out for the entire season as you have forgotten what happened last time Zeke wasn't in the backfield.
We shall meet again Joeking.....

NeathBlue

Reaction score
His son suffers from the same affliction, which gave us the "starts at Gurley money" stupidity months ago. Then we're supposed to act surprised when Zeke decides he wants Gurley money.

Stephen Jones dropped a major bollock when he said that about Gurley money,... Sims said on PFT the day it was said that it would come back and bite him, and it has.
Someone should remind Jones Jr It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm saving these post so we can refer back to it at some point in the future.
I laugh when you state that the Boys are resolute in having Zeke sit out for the entire season as you have forgotten what happened last time Zeke wasn't in the backfield.
We shall meet again Joeking.....
That's fine, just don't ignore the caveat I included with my statement about the Cowboys being resolute in their position. It's just as long as the offense does not falter. There is a reason I said it twice.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Stephen Jones dropped a major bollock when he said that about Gurley money,... Sims said on PFT the day it was said that it would come back and bite him, and it has.
Someone should remind Jones Jr It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt.
Stephen Jones didn't anticipate these negotiations with Zeke to start until at least a year from now. Zeke's holdout has thrown a monkey wrench in that plan. But it doesn't mean Stephens comment was foolish. It establishes Stephens intent to, in good faith, pay Zeke handsomely when he deems it's time to negotiate. Zeke's holdout has no doubt spoiled that good faith.

Verdict

Reaction score
Zeke will get paid either by Jerry or some other team this is GUARANTEED!
Again I stress if you consider that the FO want's to keep Jaylon and Byron 1 of the 3 will not get his big money contract.
So is it Coop,Zeke,or Dak who is left without a Kings Ransom?
Smart money is on Dak as he is the least talented.
Time will tell the tale and it should be soon....

Maybe. But what if Bell folds like a cheap accordion after a year lay-off? How bad does that hurt Zeke if he sits out the year? So much to ponder!

Verdict

Reaction score
What is the point of telling him no negotiations? Doesnt make sense.

Sure it does. All the sense in the world. Zeke waited until the season was upon us to start his negotiations. Do you think that was random? Lol. Of course not, because it put pressure on the Cowboys to get something done. He is following Tank’s lead.

The Cowboys need to put the pressure back on Elliott by giving him a deadline and start fining him immediately.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Rocky might think the cowboys need Zeke .

No one is indispensable in the NFL today .

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If Jerry was smart, he would shut up with the public posturing about Zeke. Silence is the best public negotiating tool. Unfortunately, our GM lacks the ability to ever resist speaking into any microphone placed in front of him.
Jerry is going to be asked about Zeke every interview.
There is no shutting up option.
His joke wasn't funny and was poorly used but end of day it is Zeke's agent that looks like a clown here.

Public sentiment is almost entirely with the team and Zeke looks terrible for going back out to Cabo rather than staying in there in the first place or staying in Frisco or going to train literally anywhere that isn't major vacation destination.

I fault Zeke or the Cowboys zero in this. The agent is the one who keeps making terrible decisions.
If I were Zeke I'd return to Frisco, remain holding out, hire a new agent. Ask for the Cowbiys best possible offer to get deal done by Week 1 and seriously consider and/or take that offer.

My Zeke priorities would be:
1. Getting 10M+ in bonus right now plus my 10M in base over the next 2 years. So you gotta bring 20+M GTD and over first 2 seasons.
2. Returning by game 1 so there is no other RB getting MY meaningful game snaps. --lotsa guys at RB have been good for short stretches when the league doesn't know them yet and they are 100%.
3. Getting a deal that allows me to get a 3rd real contract before I am done without losing GTD money on this 2nd deal.

What I wouldn't do:
1. Haggle over 1M a year to the point of hurting myself/stats.
2. Fight hard to be the highest paid back knowing that title is fleeting anyway.
3. Ask for larger bases but give up GTD money to get them.
4. Sign a deal that lasts forever removing my chance to get a 3rd contract in 3/4 years if I remain at top of the game versus a much larger salary cap.
What would I sign for?

AAV of the top 3 RBs: 13.5M
AAV of the top 3 GTD RBs: 36M

4 years 54M; 36M GTD.
Anything below that I sit.

cern

Reaction score
what would belichick do???? I wish I knew.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Jerry's joke about "Zeke who?" , really puts zeke's agent in an embarrassing situation .

Rocky is not being taken seriously ..

cern

Reaction score
My negotiation tactic would be...

giphy.webp
mc2=E

aikemirv

Reaction score
If Dak balls out I would much rather pay him than Zeke due to the poor longevity of RBs compared to QBs. Who knows how long before Zeke’s production falls off a cliff as most heavily used RBs do. Could be in year 1 or 2 of his new contract.

If Dak balls out without Zeke, he deserves all the credit for it and he will get paid. I don't believe in him so I doubt he will. If he does, that is a great thing for the team long term and Zeke will be out of luck.

cern

Reaction score
Stephen Jones didn't anticipate these negotiations with Zeke to start until at least a year from now. Zeke's holdout has thrown a monkey wrench in that plan. But it doesn't mean Stephens comment was foolish. It establishes Stephens intent to, in good faith, pay Zeke handsomely when he deems it's time to negotiate. Zeke's holdout has no doubt spoiled that good faith.
a most succinct, accurate statement.