New 4th and 15 onside kick rule?

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Something has to be done to even out odds a bit for onside kick. It went from having a small but possible chance to having no chance at all due to formation and run up rule

Why should they make it easier for a team that has been losing the entire game to have a chance to win by stealing it at the end?

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
This is what I love about the Alliance league. It’s exploring new ideas and implementing technologies and in this case a means for games to be more exciting finish.

You have to be trailing by 17 points or more and under 5 minutes to play to opt for the 4th and 15 to retain possession. Why not..

Again, why would you reward a team that has been losing all day to have a chance to steal it at the end?

_sturt_

Reaction score
Under the premise of being down 17 under 5, it's a misguided rule.

It does nothing for the teams that actually typically implement an onside kick... down by one score with less than 4 minutes left.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Under the premise of being down 17 under 5, it's a misguided rule.

It does nothing for the teams that actually typically implement an onside kick... down by one score with less than 4 minutes left.
Right. And why fans are over reacting. It’s a rule that seldimly would come up and most likely have little effect but to keep some butts in the seats or from changing the channel.

Fans aren’t thinking this thru. You have to be down 17 points under 5 minutes. So even if you score after converting the 4th and 15 you’ll still be down by 2 scores.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Let me throw this one out there and see how it's received, because it doesn't set any new precedent, but rather just expands on what already exists.

Allow teams to implement a free kick on the kickoff, if they so choose...

The downside being that they kick from their own 20, but the upside being that they can, effectively, "onside punt" the ball with some likely better success than the regular kick off from their 35.

Take a look...

Or, alternatively... if you really don't care about precedent... (I do, but not everyone does...)

You know how all these years there's been some murmuring about making it somehow meaningful to the game if the kicker gets the kickoff to sail through the uprights... pretty much ever since the Arena League decided to make it a scoring opportunity?

How's this...

Kickoff through the uprights, and the kicking team gets the ball from the spot where they kicked off from, i.e., the 35.

Plumfool

Reaction score
Right. And why fans are over reacting. It’s a rule that seldimly would come up and most likely have little effect but to keep some butts in the seats or from changing the channel.

Fans aren’t thinking this thru. You have to be down 17 points under 5 minutes. So even if you score after converting the 4th and 15 you’ll still be down by 2 scores.

Because you have to complain about something in The Zone

HungryLion

Reaction score
Again, why would you reward a team that has been losing all day to have a chance to steal it at the end?

Exactly. And to take it a step further.

A ton of NFL games are already competitive until very very late in the game, under the current rules, without needing onside kicks.

Why can’t the team trying to make a comeback in the 4th quarter play defense to get turnovers or force 3 and outs? I mean seriously. What is the need for this change? The games are fine the way they are without onside kicks at all to be honest.

Hardline

Reaction score
You can tell by the rule changes the past few years that they are slowly getting rid of kickoffs. It's the most dangerous (top speed, high collisions) play in the football.
One, there are NFL people who generally care about players welfare and want to make the game safer. Two, from a legal standpoint, it shows the league is taking real steps to reduce opportunities for concussions.

Mark my words, within 10 years the kickoff will be gone, and kids will not play tackle football until 12, possibly high school age. It's the only way football will survive.
If that's the case then let football die a quick death.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
If that's the case then let football die a quick death.

Honestly, I haven't missed kickoffs in the Alliance.

Instead of a rule change to give teams a better chance to steal it at the end, maybe they should start playing better sooner.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Exactly. And to take it a step further.

A ton of NFL games are already competitive until very very late in the game, under the current rules, without needing onside kicks.

Why can’t the team trying to make a comeback in the 4th quarter play defense to get turnovers or force 3 and outs? I mean seriously. What is the need for this change? The games are fine the way they are without onside kicks at all to be honest.
And why this won’t come into play very often. It’s about keeping fans in the game on blowouts..$$$$$$$$$$$

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/24/john-mara-is-only-competition-committee-member-opposed-to-onside-kick-alternative/

This is a terrible idea, and Dallas would have a huge disadvantage if passed. This favors teams with elite quarterbacks HUGELY.

Imagine Aaron Rodgers against the Dolphins. He'd have a 80% chance of converting the inside kick. Lol

Special teams should determine onside kicks, not quarterbacks.

Bad idea.
What are you talking about?

We have Clutch Prescott!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/24/john-mara-is-only-competition-committee-member-opposed-to-onside-kick-alternative/

This is a terrible idea, and Dallas would have a huge disadvantage if passed. This favors teams with elite quarterbacks HUGELY.

Imagine Aaron Rodgers against the Dolphins. He'd have a 80% chance of converting the inside kick. Lol

Bad idea.

Just have a fight between the starting QBs to determine possession.

Dak wins most of those...

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks onside kicks are stupid and should be eliminated anyways?

For that reason, I actually liked the new rules to make it even harder so any change to make it pretty dang easy as this proposed rule change would makes the game that much more blah for me.

If you want more scoring opportunities to win the game, try doing it earlier in the game and not when it's too late!!

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score

Bad idea.

I have to agree. And if this rule is passed, for the teams with a dynamic passing attack, I’d go for the onside kick after every touchdown. 4th and 15 is definitely makeable.

If they really want to make the percentages the same, they should make it at least like 4th and 20.