Twitter: New catch rule going into effect

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Simpler yes, but there will be more fumbles now.

That’s what we discussed several weeks ago. As I stated then I would much rather have more fumbles than more negated catches due to the receiver not being able to survive the ground. A receiver is still going to have to demonstrate control before it’s called catch.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
It is obvious that the ability part is there for plays in the endzone where a player is not going to perform a football move.
Was just going to post that the "ability" part was probably for the end zone.

Unless they're just really, really stupid.

blindzebra

Reaction score
The issue the NFL had was they went away from the intent of the rule and then micro-managed it with replay.

The intent was not to have going to the ground trump the catch process, it was there for giving a requirement for when the catch process was not completed so officials could judge a catch. The rule was officiated and written that way until the Dez overturn. They then tried to adjust the rule to make the bad call in GB the correct call and it went down hill from there. That is what is making it difficult to write the rule now, they are trying to fix what got broken by misapplying the rule and then changing the rule to cover it, without coming right out and admitting they got the Dez play wrong.

There is nothing wrong about going to the ground being a rule when it is applied correctly as an additional requirement when control, 2 feet, and a football move did not happen. But thanks to Blandino it gained power that was never intended because he applied it as being the only requirement incorrectly in GB and then made the rule fit the mistake.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
That’s what we discussed several weeks ago. As I stated then I would much rather have more fumbles than more negated catches due to the receiver not being able to survive the ground. A receiver is still going to have to demonstrate control before it’s called catch.
The number of negated catches has been miniscule. I'd wager we will see 3 times the number of fumbles now. And still have controversy on some catches.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Was just going to post that the "ability" part was probably for the end zone.

Unless they're just really, really stupid.
Yeah, I don't know. Guess we'll just have to see what the actual rules say.

Sounds like they may have a decision next week. Not sure if the rule book will be updated immediately.

blindzebra

Reaction score
The number of negated catches has been miniscule. I'd wager we will see 3 times the number of fumbles now. And still have controversy on some catches.
I will bet you a one year ban that it will not increase fumbles 3 times.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

The old rule created a number of negated catches and some of those negated catches helped cost teams games. Dez had a TD negated in the 2016 opener due to the going to the ground part of the rule. That negated TD cost us that football game. I would much rather see more fumbles being ruled than more great plays being overturned due to a stupid rule. So you prefer the old rule over the new rule? There’s always going to be some controversy with rulings you can’t eliminate that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'd wager we will see 3 times the number of fumbles now.

I’ll wager we’ll see three times the number of down by contact calls if not more. We’ll see a few more fumbles but a lot more down by contact calls.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
The old rule created a number of negated catches and some of those negated catches helped cost teams games. Dez had a TD negated in the 2016 opener due to the going to the ground part of the rule. That negated TD cost us that football game. I would much rather see more fumbles being ruled than more great plays being overturned due to a stupid rule. So you prefer the old rule over the new rule? There’s always going to be some controversy with rulings you can’t eliminate that.
You say that now. Wait until one of those fumbles costs us a shot at the playoffs.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I’ll wager we’ll see three times the number of down by contact calls if not more. We’ll see a few more fumbles but a lot more down by contact calls.
No. Defensive players will go for kill shots now on players going to the ground.

Just think Dez getting blown up by a DB after he gets that third foot down.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You say that now. Wait until one of those fumbles costs us a shot at the playoffs.

I would rather have a fumble cost us a shot at the playoffs than an obvious catch that was overturned but a stupid rule. You didn’t answer the question would you rather stay with the old rule? Do you honestly believe that rule is better than the new rule?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No. Defensive players will go for kill shots now on players going to the ground.

Just think Dez getting blown up by a DB after he gets that third foot down.

The safety rules will prevent that. Going for kill shots once a player is going to the ground would result in a number of players being hit when they’re on the ground. That will result in more fines, suspensions and personal fouls.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
WR's are going to get blown up as they're catching the ball and fumbles will increase. It's just going to increase.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I would rather have a fumble cost us a shot at the playoffs than an obvious catch that was overturned but a stupid rule. You didn’t answer the question would you rather stay with the old rule? Do you honestly believe that rule is better than the new rule?
Honestly. I think the rule is fine. Just hold onto the ball.

But I can see why they are doing it. And it will make for an exciting year, that's for sure.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
The safety rules will prevent that. Going for kill shots once a player is going to the ground would result in a number of players being hit when they’re on the ground. That will result in more fines, suspensions and personal fouls.
We shall see.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
WR's are going to get blown up as they're catching the ball and fumbles will increase. It's just going to increase.

Receivers were getting blown up anyway even under the old rule. The old rule didn’t prevent defenders from trying to dislodge the football from receivers as they were catching it. If the receiver caught the ball and was going to the ground and was able to survive the ground it was a catch. The new rule hasn’t even gone into effect yet and you already have some fans complaining about it. What a fickle group. Lol No rule is ever going to make everyone happy. This rule is by far better than the one they had.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Honestly. I think the rule is fine. Just hold onto the ball.

But I can see why they are doing it. And it will make for an exciting year, that's for sure.

As long as they can hold onto the football through the initial hit it’s a catch. Receivers have had more trouble surviving the impact of the ground than the impact of defenders.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We shall see.

A lot of times when the receiver is going to the ground so is the defender. They’re both going up for the ball and their momentum takes them both to the ground. In that situation the defender isn’t in a position to take a kill shot, their focus is on the ball not the receiver. Most kill shots come when the receiver has both feet on the ground and catches the ball. The defender can no longer defend the pass they’re looking to nail the receiver.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Receivers were getting blown up anyway even under the old rule. The old rule didn’t prevent defenders from trying to dislodge the football from receivers as they were catching it. If the receiver caught the ball and was going to the ground and was able to survive the ground it was a catch. The new rule hasn’t even gone into effect yet and you already have some fans complaining about it. What a fickle group. Lol No rule is ever going to make everyone happy. This rule is by far better than the one they had.
Don't be so sensitive. This is a discussion forum. Not everyone has to have your exact point of view. The whining here about some fans speaking their mind that's not 100% rainbows and puppies is ridiculous.

The rule is better in your opinion.