New Game Called Find Jeff Heath

Sydla

Reaction score
Well, you can change the definition to piss on a player, but that doesn't make it accurate.

Where I come from, bringing someone to the ground is the very definition of tackle. You're derailing.
Heath struggles at times, picks the wrong line etc....But he's not a liability. What you're suggesting is just stupid.

This is hilarious. So when you see people say, "he can't catch" you really think they mean he literally can't catch anything? Or when they say that QB isn't accurate, you think the person means he literally can't make even one accurate throw?

What I am suggesting is stupid? He's one of the worst tackling safeties over the last two years. If that's not a "liability" then I don't really know what kind of player would be a liability.

Sydla

Reaction score
Realistic. If there were better options for what the staff wants they probably would take a shot, but like I said before, having a good player who can be available every play and play multiple positions is worth keeping him around.

Sure, keep him around. I think he's a fine special teams guy and backup safety.

He's not a quality starting SS. I am not sure why that rubs people the wrong way.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Which one of these was he "washed?" He's in the gap he's supposed to be on every play. There is no "good angle" to take against Saquon in the first play, because he's untouched with all kinds of room. No safety in the league does anything else. If you're thinking that he's just going to take on and shed a blocker to make a tackle otherwise, expectations are wrong. He's not a linebacker. There's a lot of other guys not getting into their gaps or missing tackles though.

I don't think he's particularly good, he's just not nearly as bad as all the whining about him would suggest.

He took a bad angle on the 59 yard run. I dont even think he knew what he was doing on that play. The next play 85 blows him out of the play 5 yards to the right. Next one 87 stone walls him in the gap doesnt even look like he tries to shed. Go watch ok ther safeties in run support it might show you how the position is supposed to be played

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
There really isn't that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. I mean I get why you want to say there is because you bizarrely want to defend a guy that you yourself doesn't even think is all that good.

You are all over the place. He's not particularly good but he's not detrimental and a league average SS.

I see what's happening here. You struggle to criticize Heath but on the otherhand you also know it's kind of silly to try to defend him either. So you get things like "he's not particularly good" but then say he's an average safety, etc. You are waffling.

He is a bottom third SS in this league. His inability to make consistent tackles, a big responsibility of a SS in today's NFL, is a big reason why.
You are just wholly missing the point and getting hung up on language.

I have no problem criticizing Heath. He does take some bad angles and he's not a very good tackler. But that does not make him a detriment and makes him about league average.

What I don't like, for the 4th time, is that everything about him is hyperbole. His biggest critics are too lazy to actually look at film and point out what they're trying to say.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He took a bad angle on the 59 yard run. I dont even think he knew what he was doing on that play. The next play 85 blows him out of the play 5 yards to the right. Next one 87 stone walls him in the gap doesnt even look like he tries to shed. Go watch ok ther safeties in run support it might show you how the position is supposed to be played
It's a poor angle based on what the RB did. If Heath took outside leverage, Saquon just cuts inside. There's really no win there based on where Heath started that play. The rest is you exaggerating the reality of a safety getting blocked IN THE BOX. This is where expectations do not meet reality.

What safeties are going into the box, blowing up blockers, and then making plays against the run? It does not happen.

Sydla

Reaction score
You are just wholly missing the point and getting hung up on language.

I have no problem criticizing Heath. He does take some bad angles and he's not a very good tackler. But that does not make him a detriment and makes him about league average.

What I don't like, for the 4th time, is that everything about him is hyperbole. His biggest critics are too lazy to actually look at film and point out what they're trying to say.

He was one of the worst tackling safeties the last two years. He's not exactly great in coverage either.

How is that average?

And it's not Cowboys fans using hyperbole here. Here is a writeup from Football Outsiders:

Jeff Heath can not tackle. We noted last year in this space that Heath had more missed tackles (11) than defeats (six). The problem got worse in 2018, as Heath's 22 broken tackles were the second-most allowed in the league. Heath just isn't a starting-caliber strong safety; he's a quality special teams player who has been promoted beyond his skill set. Bringing in a new safety -- either strong or free, as Woods would do just fine moving into the strong safety position -- would help a defense that ranked 19th or worse when covering tight ends, running backs, or third wideouts.

You know who had the second-most broken tackles in the league this year? Cowboys fans do -- it was Jeff Heath, with just one fewer missed tackle than Riley. Heath is a liability in open-field tackling -- if perhaps a skosh better than Riley -- but he also pairs that with a limited ability to cover opposing tight ends to create a prototypical Wood-Chopper.

So it's not just disgruntled Cowboys fans using hyperbole here.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He was one of the worst tackling safeties the last two years. He's not exactly great in coverage either.

How is that average?
Because the majority of safeties in the league struggle with the exact same things.

I mean, did you watch any of NYG yesterday? They couldn't tackle or cover. All of the safeties in Houston vs. NO got smoked over and over again.

I just don't understand what league people are watching. Targeting box safeties against the pass and when they're brought into the box against the run is how offenses are designed. The best most teams hope for is for a guy to simply be where he needs to be. Heath does that.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It's a poor angle based on what the RB did. If Heath took outside leverage, Saquon just cuts inside. There's really no win there based on where Heath started that play. The rest is you exaggerating the reality of a safety getting blocked IN THE BOX. This is where expectations do not meet reality.

What safeties are going into the box, blowing up blockers, and then making plays against the run? It does not happen.
Lol you are delusional. Are you his brother or something?

JayFord

Reaction score
As much as I think we should have been got his replacement Jeff heath was very serviceable Sunday not great but he wasn’t a liability

Sydla

Reaction score
Because the majority of safeties in the league struggle with the exact same things.

I mean, did you watch any of NYG yesterday? They couldn't tackle or cover. All of the safeties in Houston vs. NO got smoked over and over again.

I just don't understand what league people are watching. Targeting box safeties against the pass and when they're brought into the box against the run is how offenses are designed. The best most teams hope for is for a guy to simply be where he needs to be. Heath does that.

The majority of safeties really don't. Again there is actually stats that show Heath was one of the worst tackling safeties in the NFL. There weren't like 30 other safeties all with the same number of missed tackles. He was LITERALLY 2nd from the bottom of all starting safeties in missed tackles for 2018.

I mean at this point, you just have to laugh. The defense of Heath is now, "Well I know he's really not good but the entire league is made of up mostly safeties that aren't good themselves. Ergo, Heath isn't really that bad".

Hahahahah. I give up.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This is hilarious. So when you see people say, "he can't catch" you really think they mean he literally can't catch anything? Or when they say that QB isn't accurate, you think the person means he literally can't make even one accurate throw?

What I am suggesting is stupid? He's one of the worst tackling safeties over the last two years. If that's not a "liability" then I don't really know what kind of player would be a liability.
Yes. Stupid. He's made some great tackles and he's whiffed on some too. That means he's average, not that "he can't tackle."
You seem to think there's a huge crop of SS out there, but the reality is there are way more average than very good - great.

I'll let you get the last word, I'm bored.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes. Stupid. He's made some great tackles and he's whiffed on some too. That means he's average, not that "he can't tackle."
You seem to think there's a huge crop of SS out there, but the reality is there are way more average than very good - great.

I'll let you get the last word, I'm bored.

He LITERALLY was the 2nd worst at tackling in 2018 amongst staring safeties.

2nd worst.

But yeah. He's average.