New Game Called Find Jeff Heath

garyo1954

Reaction score
Bare metrics of a single position can be an optical illusion. Sometimes the composite of everything working together makes more sense.

Jeff didn't have a good game, but as you say, neither did the rest of the defense.

A W is a W no matter how those, to borrow a phrase, "pocket protector producing nerds" look at it.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
And this is why I put zero stock in PFF rankings. Anybody with a brain and half-trained football eye knows Jeff Heath played way better than either of the Giants safeties
No he played better than the corners of the giants. And he might have had a better coverage grade but his run defense grade was literally worse in the NFL. So remember when you were in school. If you got a 0 then got a 100 your average was 50. His run defense grade was a 28

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Bare metrics of a single position can be an optical illusion. Sometimes the composite of everything working together makes more sense.

Jeff didn't have a good game, but as you say, neither did the rest of the defense.

A W is a W no matter how those, to borrow a phrase, "pocket protector producing nerds" look at it.
Individuals can still have good games even if the entire offense or defense have a bad game. My son's middle school team sucks, but he's the best player on it. Has good games but not enough to overcome the other 10 ppl out there.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No he played better than the corners of the giants. And he might have had a better coverage grade but his run defense grade was literally worse in the NFL. So remember when you were in school. If you got a 0 then got a 100 your average was 50. His run defense grade was a 28
Dang, is that why I was so bad in school? I had no idea that's how it worked lol. I still disagree with you and PFF, but it's all good.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Dang, is that why I was so bad in school? I had no idea that's how it worked lol. I still disagree with you and PFF, but it's all good.
Ok but do you disagree bethea was good against the run. I seen him in there on a few plays. Heath literally took bad angles and was washed out all game. Bethea had a worse coverage grade than heath if that makes you feel better. You realize safety plays the run and pass

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ok but do you disagree bethea was good against the run. I seen him in there on a few plays. Heath literally took bad angles and was washed out all game. Bethea had a worse coverage grade than heath if that makes you feel better. You realize safety plays the run and pass

Of course Heath isn't a great safety, but I saw him as much more of a force than either of the Giants safeties - both in run and in the passing game. He's a LITTLE like OU Roy Williams used to be for us. He will take bad angles but when he gets there, he's gonna blow someone up and there's a good chance it'll be a big play.

I give more merit to the fact that Heath was part of a defense that basically gave up 10 points. The giants safeties were part of a defense that got absolutely shredded. They may have been somewhat more sound in run support, but they gave up 5 straight TDs and left the deep-middle of the field open all day long

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Of course Heath isn't a great safety, but I saw him as much more of a force than either of the Giants safeties - both in run and in the passing game. He's a LITTLE like OU Roy Williams used to be for us. He will take bad angles but when he gets there, he's gonna blow someone up and there's a good chance it'll be a big play.

I give more merit to the fact that Heath was part of a defense that basically gave up 10 points. The giants safeties were part of a defense that got absolutely shredded. They may have been somewhat more sound in run support, but they gave up 5 straight TDs and left the deep-middle of the field open all day long
Ok...... If our offense didn't carry our defense yesterday they would have had more than 17 points and it would have been a very close game.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Individuals can still have good games even if the entire offense or defense have a bad game. My son's middle school team sucks, but he's the best player on it. Has good games but not enough to overcome the other 10 ppl out there.

This is true. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

InTheZone

Reaction score
people were blaming Heath for Barkleys run. Everyone on the Dl, including our Linebackers better be rated at the bottom of the league according to PFF, because if they're not how does the last line of defense get rated lower than the front 7 for run defense? Post those stats for a fair comparison.

And I don't remember Heath getting abused in the pass game, was he ever targeted like teams did Brandon Carr weekly?

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ok...... If our offense didn't carry our defense yesterday they would have had more than 17 points and it would have been a very close game.
Can't have superstars at every position, man. Heath is a playmaker and 10x better than Barry Church or even Byron Jones when he was a safety. You have it out for Heath and that's cool - but a bogus ratings metric isn't gonna convince me you're right

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
people were blaming Heath for Barkleys run. Everyone on the Dl, including our Linebackers better be rated at the bottom of the league according to PFF, because if they're not how does the last line of defense get rated lower than the front 7 for run defense? Post those stats for a fair comparison.

And I don't remember Heath getting abused in the pass game, was he ever targeted like teams did Brandon Carr weekly?
The LB and dline were not graded well if it makes you feel better.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Can't have superstars at every position, man. Heath is a playmaker and 10x better than Barry Church or even Byron Jones when he was a safety. You have it out for Heath and that's cool - but a bogus ratings metric isn't gonna convince me you're right
I don't have it out for heath. HE SUCKS!!! It's a cold hard fact. Are you banging his mom?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Don't go there LOL hindsight is always better after the fact.
Hindsight for most. I was one of the handful few who adamantly wanted S Juan Thornhill instead of DT Trysten Hill when the Cowboys were up during the 2nd round of the 2019 draft. Seeing Week 1's results for all Safeties truly stings.