New kickoff rule approved

reddyuta

Reaction score
It's very exciting rule change.

More dynamic returns with an emphasis on kickers who can placed the ball hit with a lot of end over end rotation to make the ball tough to catch.

Also shifty returners who get up to speed fast will be coveted. 3 - cone here we come.

I suspect a 30% increase in KO TDs.
NFL is expecting 80% return rate now so that will be an understatement..

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Unless you move the kickoff back to the 30 yard like, this isnt going to change much of anything.....kickoffs are going through the endzone as it is now because of the footballs and stronger kickers legs..

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
It's very exciting rule change.

More dynamic returns with an emphasis on kickers who can placed the ball hit with a lot of end over end rotation to make the ball tough to catch.

Also shifty returners who get up to speed fast will be coveted. 3 - cone here we come.

I suspect a 30% increase in KO TDs.
This rule isn't going to change anything, kickers are kicking it through the endzones as it is, where players line up changes nothing.....you have to move the kickoff back to the 30 yard line. Get ready for more flags

reddyuta

Reaction score
Unless you move the kickoff back to the 30 yard like, this isnt going to change much of anything.....kickoffs are going through the endzone as it is now because of the footballs and stronger kickers legs..
nope.do you want to give the ball to the opposing team at the 35? NFL is expecting most of the kicks to be returned but obviously you need a good kicker to hit it high and not into the end zone.

Wilson

Reaction score
I'm excited about this new change. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
nope.do you want to give the ball to the opposing team at the 35? NFL is expecting most of the kicks to be returned but obviously you need a good kicker to hit it high and not into the end zone.
This is the same asinine league that states it's looking out for player safety, how does this rule does that, it doesn't...go back to what Football kickoffs used to be, kickoff at the thirty and no more double team blocks...END THIS NONSENSE!!

reddyuta

Reaction score
This is the same asinine league that states it's looking out for player safety, how does this rule does that, it doesn't...go back to what Football kickoffs used to be, kickoff at the thirty and no more double team blocks...END THIS NONSENSE!!
it is what it is,they dont a running start to the coverage teams anymore,this is a good compromise.

reddyuta

Reaction score
• If a kick lands in the end zone or goes out the back, it’s a touchback to the 35.

-----
that is the incentive not to kick it out of the endzone.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
• If a kick lands in the end zone or goes out the back, it’s a touchback to the 35.

-----
that is the incentive not to kick it out of the endzone.
For those who think a team will just put the ball into the endzone it will depend on who they have back there fielding the KO.

If you are kicking to a dynamic returner then you put it into the endzone. If the returner is so, so. Or even not the regular returner due to injuries, then you put it intot he landing zone and hope your coverage team holds him.

The biggest change I see is kickers needign to learn to put up a high and more difficult to catch ball. End over end rotation and "knuckle ball" effects to make the returners have to pause.

On coverage I can see the gunner postion changing. The resigning of Goodwin may not be the best for this format. Someone like Sam Williams who has footspeed, but more importantly has hand fighting skills to get off the line/block may be more useful to cover the kicks now.

Mannix

Reaction score
I wonder if they will have an option for this? Offer teams two kickoff formats. Regular return or onside kick.

Teams need a chance to win games in the dying seconds of the game.
Take care of business earlier in the game!!!!