New kickoff rule approved

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Next, they'll wait until the returned hits the 22.5-yard line before anybody can flinch or blink...

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Its so bazar, there was nothing wrong with the kickoff before they started tinkering with it. I guess its okay, the kicking team doesn't have to sprint 50 yards down field. I can see them lining up with backers so its not just a wall to run through then a TD. If the returner drops the ball its a turnover. Also I don't see how onsides kicks work. I would rather them just backup and do a regular kickoff....its going to mess up all the historical stats, just like adding games has done.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
The real question here is - How will Sam Williams continue with his dumb penalties on the kick-off with this new rule?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They’re trying to reduce high speed collisions so they’re reducing the distance they have to run. It won’t allow players to pick up as much speed.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You are telling me the NFL is now taking its signals from the XFL? What a commentary on the state of the league.
That's been the plan since the start of the most recent version of the XFL. The NFL has partnered with them to directly to try out these rule changes to get video and data on them before the NFL adopts them. Watch the XFL this year to see what the NFL is going to look like in 2025.

pancakeman

Reaction score
Tracking and tackling ability of the kicker will become more valuable.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
  • Any kick that hits in the landing zone and then goes into the end zone - must be returned or downed by receiving team - if downed then touchback to B20 yard line
  • Kick hits in end zone, stays inbounds - returned or downed - if downed then touchback to B30 yard line
These rules will make things very interesting!!
Initially lot of confusion too, not to have knucklehead players being off side or false starts. More time will be spent on Kickoffs.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
This looks like a good change. It will probably lead to more returns and less injuries.

I wonder if this will change the style of returners teams are looking for. A more powerful runner instead of a straight up speed guy to get through all those bodies perhaps?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The real question here is - How will Sam Williams continue with his dumb penalties on the kick-off with this new rule?
The over/under for the season....7 offside penalties...because he can't see the ball being kicked. And I would bet the over...he's that dumb. Just do us all a favor....take him off special teams....period.

mrmojo

Reaction score
So both teams will need to be watching where the ball lands before they can engage each other physically, that will be interesting, especially for the receiving team who has their backs to the ball.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
This looks like a good change. It will probably lead to more returns and less injuries.

I wonder if this will change the style of returners teams are looking for. A more powerful runner instead of a straight up speed guy to get through all those bodies perhaps?
I bet you will see a new record for return tds....you break that first wave...that guy is gone. No way a kicker should have an angle...returner will have too much space to maneuver

_sturt_

Reaction score
Exactly....Why wouldn't you try it on every kick?
Can only be done in the 4th quarter, only if you're behind, and only if you've told the opposing team you're doing it.

That might help level the playing field, so to speak.

_sturt_

Reaction score
You are telling me the NFL is now taking its signals from the XFL? What a commentary on the state of the league.
What the heck does that even matter a little bit.

If something makes sense, given the problem one is trying to solve... it makes sense. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Let's see if this does.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Applied to our situation... pardon me, probably already discussed earlier in the thread, but I'm too lazy to read...

Will our coaches be content to just have Aubrey continue to get the ball out of the back of the end zone, and give up the extra 5 yards (30 instead of 25) now?

Praxit

Reaction score
.....my gut feel on this. High percentage, .. return teams will get good feel advantage almost 70% of time.

Maybe ball at their 40.

links18

Reaction score
Its so bazar, there was nothing wrong with the kickoff before they started tinkering with it. I guess its okay, the kicking team doesn't have to sprint 50 yards down field. I can see them lining up with backers so its not just a wall to run through then a TD. If the returner drops the ball its a turnover. Also I don't see how onsides kicks work. I would rather them just backup and do a regular kickoff....its going to mess up all the historical stats, just like adding games has done.

What the heck does that even matter a little bit.

If something makes sense, given the problem one is trying to solve... it makes sense. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Let's see if this does.
What is the problem they are trying to solve? Just go back to the way it always was. Kick-off from the 30. One minute the league is afraid of the return game. Now they want returns, but safe gimmicky returns? Make up their minds already and stop screwing with the game.

_sturt_

Reaction score
What is the problem they are trying to solve?
You realize that there's an answer for that, no?

One minute the league is afraid of the return game.
Yes. Some nonsense about concerns about what was known previously as the most dangerous play in sports.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pa...uld-nfl-eliminate-kickoffs-pursuit-safer-game

Now they want returns, but safe gimmicky returns?
Safe, yes.

Gimmicky, not so much, but whatever it takes, it takes.