Twitter: New kickoff rules

BillyBates

Reaction score
With out that wedge you don't know now which side of the field the runs coming from, there is going to be more run backs for big yardage if you have a good return man.
I guess being in effect for one season, this will be revisited and tweaked again next. I don't want to see anyone get hurt especially concussions.
the lowering of the head rule, calling this as a penalty is going to get real dicey unless its blatantly done.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
For short kicks like that, I'd punt instead of kick...force a fair catch just about every time and have the opposition starting most drives inside their own ten. At least, that would be my approach.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they don't just allow a drop kick to start the game. I mean, if you can't get a running start on a kickoff with the rest of the lot, why not just drop kick it to start the game?

conner01

Reaction score
This was my thinking when I saw this too. Hello, Tavon Austin.
He should thrive in the open field like that
I just don’t want him returning punts
He muffs too many, most of his fumbles have been muffed punts

Reactions: CWR

rynochop

Reaction score
As mentioned this basically eliminates the onside kick..even if you fumble the kick you still have time to recover. If you're down by two scores toward the end why bother trying to score, it's a marginal chance as is

ghst187

Reaction score
What about onside kicks? Still have to have everybody line up the same?

I would have to imagine that the 0.0001% chance an onside kick worked under the old rules will be exponentially lower under the new rules.

conner01

Reaction score
Another rule that’s gonna make a huge impact is the helmet rule
The oline is suppose to be covered by that rule too which will greatly impact run blocking and short yardage plays are gonna be really tough since linemen can’t lead with their heads either
Power running is almost impossible
Short yardage will mean they have to block up instead of trying to get low

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
I would have to imagine that the 0.0001% chance an onside kick worked under the old rules will be exponentially lower under the new rules.
I’m not sure it’s really gonna be harder
Now the play is pooch kick it over the front line and force then to turn and chase the ball
You can’t get a running start but you can put cb and WR’s out there to chase it
If they turn and run they can’t block, if they block then if you find a clear spot you have a chance of beating them to it
The odds of success can’t be any worse than old rule

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I’m not sure it’s really gonna be harder
Now the play is pooch kick it over the front line and force then to turn and chase the ball
You can’t get a running start but you can put cb and WR’s out there to chase it
If they turn and run they can’t block, if they block then if you find a clear spot you have a chance of beating them to it
The odds of success can’t be any worse than old rule

Well, that's why I think the NFL may be wise to take a page out of the rugby kick book. There are many ways to drop kick a football. If you were to dropkick a ball, then an onside kick can be rather easy. All you really have to do is try to boot the ball straight into the air. Want it to go to the endzone? Great! Then punt it like you normally do. Since they're not getting a running start anyway, I think a rugby drop kick would be the ideal tactic.

conner01

Reaction score
Well, that's why I think the NFL may be wise to take a page out of the rugby kick book. There are many ways to drop kick a football. If you were to dropkick a ball, then an onside kick can be rather easy. All you really have to do is try to boot the ball straight into the air. Want it to go to the endzone? Great! Then punt it like you normally do. Since they're not getting a running start anyway, I think a rugby drop kick would be the ideal tactic.
I don’t watch rugby but I do believe a drop kick is legal
Just pop it up past the upfront guys and run like heck
They either chase the ball and not block, or block and not chase
Most kickers are closer to soccer players than rugby players though so not sure how many could do it
But I’m betting there are ST coaches already trying to figure out best options

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don’t watch rugby but I do believe a drop kick is legal
Just pop it up past the upfront guys and run like heck
They either chase the ball and not block, or block and not chase
Most kickers are closer to soccer players than rugby players though so not sure how many could do it
But I’m betting there are ST coaches already trying to figure out best options

Well, there are some teams with Aussie punters though, and the Aussie/NZ punters would be best able to pull it off as they're accustomed to that style. And yes, the dropkick is legal, but it is usually used on XPs. I am wanting to expand it to kickoffs too. I think Chris Jones could handle it, but it'd be fun to watch either way. At least to try during the preseason to see if it works.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The game keeps changing and the injuries just get worse and worse. You either have to take the attitude that being an NFL player is akin to winning the lottery and a huge amount of risk comes with it or just gradually degrade the game until there is nothing left.
The game has always been changing and the injuries aren't getting worse.

conner01

Reaction score
Well, there are some teams with Aussie punters though, and the Aussie/NZ punters would be best able to pull it off as they're accustomed to that style. And yes, the dropkick is legal, but it is usually used on XPs. I am wanting to expand it to kickoffs too. I think Chris Jones could handle it, but it'd be fun to watch either way. At least to try during the preseason to see if it works.
The only thing about changing the kicker is they would expect it
Jones is such a good athlete he could kick and recover lol
There will be teams who spend lots of time on figuring it out
One thing I thing will change is teams kicking it short of end zone to force a return
That will probably go away