New league rule coming for concussions

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have never stepped foot on the new turf but from what I’m hearing it’s pretty soft. It’s certainly not like the old Astroturf concrete. I don’t think the turf is going to make any difference when a players head slams against the ground.
Not unless they make the whole field like a wrestling mat. (I'm not saying that's possible or practical. Obviously it would adversely affect any running, jumping, etc.)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And it’s certainly not like, grass back in the 70s. When it was like concrete also. When it froze. I remember the first game I ever went to New England Patriots against Oakland Raiders. Steve Grogan was slammed to the ground his body squashed I thought he’d never get up
Yeah, frozen ground is a hard landing.

conner01

Reaction score
I really don’t know how they could say Tua wasn’t suffering concussion symptoms from the hit he took against Buffalo in week 3. He got up, then staggered and fell back to the ground. He even shook his head after he got back up.
It was so obvious
But I fear the league could go to the extreme the other way because of this
Sometimes it’s just so obvious that anyone can tell and Tua was like that

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
I really don’t know how they could say Tua wasn’t suffering concussion symptoms from the hit he took against Buffalo in week 3. He got up, then staggered and fell back to the ground. He even shook his head after he got back up.
twice and fell lol

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Every player who has ever played has complained about artificial turf, how hard it is, concrete base. Most of them say that outside of concussions, they are twice as sore after a game on turf, even their feet and ankles hurt. We’ve seen more concussions from heads hitting the turf than from player collisions, not to mention all the blown out knees.

The only reason turf is so prevalent is because of all the outside events that owners can host that couldn’t happen because real grass wouldn’t hold up to it. Greed is always the foundation of everything the league does.
the amount of money it would cost to maintain the grass rather than roll up the turf and store it, quality of grass and also having to have some type of base underneath to change this when concerts and NCAA march madness and what not happen.. it's typical greed but it's good it starts to come up because if given enough chatter they'll be forced to change like everything else...just a matter of time...the NFL is at the point where they blatantly have so much money they can't go silent on things anymore

Kevinicus

Reaction score
They have to be very careful with how they word the language. If it's carelessly broad like what's presented in the tweet, then anyone accidently tripping or getting off balance will result in them having to leave for nothing.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
They have to be very careful with how they word the language. If it's carelessly broad like what's presented in the tweet, then anyone accidently tripping or getting off balance will result in them having to leave for nothing.
My concern exactly.
They could get over zealous in the application of this rule.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

Yeah, have no idea how they managed to just say no problem and put him back in. The Dolphins should be heavily fined on this one, no excuse for doing that. Tua may have a suit in his hands should his career be in jeopardy now

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

This would have been accepted in 1950s and 60s.

Sadly, our view of head trauma, short and long range, seems to barely have evolved by 2022.
Then there is boxing and MMA. Needed is serious actions to protect athletes from themselves.