New league rule coming for concussions

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah, have no idea how they managed to just say no problem and put him back in. The Dolphins should be heavily fined on this one, no excuse for doing that. Tua may have a suit in his hands should his career be in jeopardy now

If the NFL finds any wrong-doing they will be fined heavily. They have a real good season going and wanted to get Tua back in. No why do I believe they followed the protocol. Tua could sue if there’s any permanent damage that jeopardizes or shortens his career.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This would have been accepted in 1950s and 60s.

Sadly, our view of head trauma, short and long range, seems to barely have evolved by 2022.
Then there is boxing and MMA. Needed is serious actions to protect athletes from themselves.

Back in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s this would’ve been accepted. They checked for concussions by waving 2-3 fingers in front of a players face and if they got the right number they were back in the game.

Flamma

Reaction score
I really don’t know how they could say Tua wasn’t suffering concussion symptoms from the hit he took against Buffalo in week 3. He got up, then staggered and fell back to the ground. He even shook his head after he got back up.

It's actually stunning that there are people that believed the back excuse. It goes to show what people are willing to swallow from someone supposedly smarter than them. Answer is, anything.

Bates

Reaction score
It's amazing these helmets are not safer to absorb a hit to the turf like that.

it has to do with your brain moving once the skull has stopped moving and the brain crashing into the skull. Helmets help absorb it but can’t prevent it.

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
Spine, nerve, brain, I don't care what it was. It's all very similar. He shouldn't have been brought back in. I'm all about the just bleed mentality but when we see our heros holding his hand in a severe gesture of someone ****ed up on drugs or paralyzed, that is not the message we should be showing our kids. Something went wrong here. I'm glad they are going to implement stronger regulations.

Down side of this is that eventually we might see even more regulations on how and when they hit the QB. Maybe even get to the point where it's touch and the play is over. That would completely suck.

Motorola

Reaction score
That's good. What happened with Tua was scary and avoidable. I'm glad their doctor got fired for it. I hope Tua doesn't have any long term problems from it.
Some other Dolphins personnel should suffer serious sanctions also; who put out the press release that Tua suffered a BACK INJURY on that play?
Very Disturbing ‐-how the Miami Dolphins handled this situation.

Bates

Reaction score
Spine, nerve, brain, I don't care what it was. It's all very similar. He shouldn't have been brought back in. I'm all about the just bleed mentality but when we see our heros holding his hand in a severe gesture of someone ****ed up on drugs or paralyzed, that is not the message we should be showing our kids. Something went wrong here. I'm glad they are going to implement stronger regulations.

Down side of this is that eventually we might see even more regulations on how and when they hit the QB. Maybe even get to the point where it's touch and the play is over. That would completely suck.

Agree. It’s one thing to play with a cracked rib, a broken finger, a separated shoulder. Completely different when you’re dealing with a brain injury.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No. He put Junior front and center. If people cared, they wouldn't just respond when someone gets a 30 for 30 episode.
"If it prevents another Seau, I have no problem with that. It was proven that the NFL was hiding the facts they knew about for over a decade. There have been many Seau’s, but the NFL kept it quiet and ignored players in need. Tony Dorsett has admitted serious issues. If the game has to be softer, so be it. They need to figure it out."

plasticman

Reaction score
Demonstrate instability?

Do you mean like retiring at the age of 44 and then suddenly changing your mind?

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Well the HC hasn't ruled Tua out for game 5, so all must be good with him upstairs right? The injury isn't the only problem, the problem is management and coaches not only putting him back out after concuss 1, but talking now like all in the world is good and Tua has a chance to play next week. If this wasn't the tank for Tua Fish I would be shocked but when ownership calls for a team to lose on purpose, the well being of any player is in doubt......

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Tua already looking like Steve Young at the end of his career. Some guys are just more susceptible. Even if they crank up the protocols, something is going to take him out again.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Yeah, have no idea how they managed to just say no problem and put him back in. The Dolphins should be heavily fined on this one, no excuse for doing that. Tua may have a suit in his hands should his career be in jeopardy now

he agreed to play, is he not culpable

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It's actually stunning that there are people that believed the back excuse. It goes to show what people are willing to swallow from someone supposedly smarter than them. Answer is, anything.

People think Stephon A Smitherson (sic) is stupid, because he acts stupid. But even he was smart enough to know it was a concussion. So was Irvin, and the others on that show. But Irvin was too concerned reminiscing his own ego to show any concern for a young guy who didn't know any better, when he's learned the lesson from experience.

The world is a sad place, sometimes. I'll root for Tua when he gets back. But for now, he should get well.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
How long until a QB who takes a big hit starts grabbing his knee or something to lay on the ground and clear the cobwebs for a second.

Flamma

Reaction score
How long until a QB who takes a big hit starts grabbing his knee or something to lay on the ground and clear the cobwebs for a second.

They do call players under the tent that show no signs of head injury. They go by the hit he took. The thing about the Tua hit against Buffalo is that it wasn't a hit. He was just pushed. Most people get up from that without hitting their head. Him stumbling wasn't expected. So yeah, in his case, had he stayed down and grabbed his back, it would have been believable. But in most cases they're calling you in the tent.