New Mock Draft, why not (LONG)

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Round 2: F.S. Derek Pegues

F.S. with cornerback skills and alos a good return man also, not that we need that, but the fact he can cover like a corner is what I like about him, move Hamlin to S.S. and we'd have a great duo fo coverage safeties which I feel you need now in this day and age of 3 W.R. sets being so common and not to mention all the great pass catching T.E.'s the league is now loaded with also, so having Hamlin and Pegues at safety to go with Newman/Pacman/Jenkins/scandrick at Corner, that will only give Ware and Sepncer that much more time to get to the Q.B.!

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/MississippiState_logo.gif Derek Pegues, FS, Mississippi State
Height: 5-10. Weight: 196.
Projected 40 Time: 4.43.
Projected Round (2009): 2.
5/19/09: Doubling as a return man, Derek Pegues managed 50 tackles and five interceptions in 2007.

2007: Derek Pegues is a lightning-quick jack of all trades; he can play cornerback, free safety and kick returner. He started every game as a sophomore and picked off four passes.

Round 3: D.E. Vance Walker

D.T to convert to D.E. Vnce Walker, he's very good at rushing the passer which is what this defensive line needs, and h's alos very good at stuffng the run, would be a great addition to our D-line and with him on one side and Ratliff on the other in passing downs, we'd have a great pass rushing duo at D.E. to go along with Spencer and Ware coming off the corner also.

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/GeorgiaTech_logo.gif Vance Walker, Georgia Tech
Height: 6-2. Weight: 291.
Projected 40 Time: 4.99.
Projected Round (2009): 3.
11/23/08: Vance Walker's sack total is down (3) this year. He also has 8.5 TFL through 10 games. He should be able to play both the 4-3 and 3-4.

5/9/08: Vance Walker made major strides in 2007, registering 8.5 sacks in 13 games. Oh, and he's just as good at stopping the run as he is getting to the quarterback.

Round 3: N.T. Dorell Scott

use one of our 5th (2nd 5th will be for Julius Jones) and 7th rounders to move up late 3rd round and select Scott, maybe throw in a 5th in 2010, don't knwo chart value, no point overdoing it anyway since it will be close enough and justa mock anyway..

Big N.T. who can stuff the run AND get to trhe Q.B., think bigger version of Ratliff, upper body strangth is awesome, will put up big bench pressing numbers, that's what I like for my N.T., coincidentally this will allow us to move Ratliff to D.E. where he can wreak more havok.

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/Clemson_logo.gif Dorell Scott, Clemson
Height: 6-4. Weight: 313.
Projected 40 Time: 5.04.
Projected Round (2009): 3.
5/9/08: A monstrous defensive tackle who can get to the quarterback on occasion. Dorell Scott had 50 tackles and three sacks in 2007.

2007: A starter as a sophomore, Dorell Scott is one of the hardest-working players in this class. He'll put up some good numbers on the bench press come Combine time.

Round 4: G. Derrick Dockery

Really need depth since we saw what happened when Kosier went down this year.

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/Texas_logo.gif Cedric Dockery, Texas
Height: 6-4. Weight: 320.
Projected 40 Time: 5.24.
Projected Round (2009): 4-5.
5/25/08: Despite tearing his ACL in 2006, Cedric Dockery bounced back to play pretty well in 2007.

Round 5: N.T. Ron Brace

Gives us another run stuffer to backup Scott in case of injury so we won't have to move Ratliff back to N.T. and also gives us another big body for short yardage and goal line situations as well.

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/BostonCollege_logo.gif Ron Brace, Boston College
Height: 6-3. Weight: 330.
Projected 40 Time: 5.25.
Projected Round: 4-5.
5/9/08: Took over for B.J. Raji as Boston College's mammoth nose tackle. Ron Brace started seven games and recorded 7.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks, earning an All-ACC honorable mention.

Round 6: F.S. Nate Ness

Yes, another F.S., we all saw what happened with Scandrick when we picked him in round 5 even though we had Pacman/Henry/Newman and just drafted
Jenkins in round 1, turned out to be the best thing we could of done.
So why not grab a BALL HAWK who will upgrade our backup safety position.

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/Arizona_logo.gif Nate Ness, FS, Arizona
Height: 6-1. Weight: 191.
Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
Projected Round (2009): 6.
5/19/09: An interception machine - Nate Ness had 19 interceptions, 10 of which were returned for touchdowns in junior college. He picked off five passes in his first six games with Arizona.

2007: Nate Ness, a safety who has three interceptions through nine weeks in 2007, returned 10 interceptions for touchdowns in junior college. He needs to drop into the 4.4s to be considered a first-day selection.

I'm gonna use my last 2 picks on two guys who could be STEALS who we could put on practice squad for a year and maybe end up with a 1st round talent.
-____________________________________________________________

Round 7: N.T. Myron Pryor
Why not go with my theme and bring in another possible STEAL.

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/Kentucky_logo.gif Myron Pryor, Kentucky
Height: 6-1. Weight: 309.
Projected 40 Time: 5.02.
Projected Round (2009): 7.
11/23/08: Leg and ankle injuries have slowed down Myron Pryor. Once a first-round candidate, Pryor may not be drafted.

5/9/08: Myron Pryor had a bit of a disappointing junior campaign, but his combination of size and speed will get him drafted in the first three rounds.

2007: Started 10 games as a sophomore and recorded four sacks and four forced fumbles. Has the potential to be a top-15 selection come 2009.

Round 7: N.T. Antonio Dixon
http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/Miami_logo.gif Antonio Dixon, Miami
Height: 6-3. Weight: 328.
Projected 40 Time: 5.30.
Projected Round (2009): 7-FA.
11/23/08: Antonio Dixon has struggled coming off his knee injury, but will get some consideration because of his size.

5/9/08: A monstrous nose tackle who was a third-round prospect on this chart until he suffered a knee injury last season.

2007: Antonio Dixon started two games as a sophomore, recording 14 tackles. One of the largest run-stuffers in this class.

O.K. here's my draft

Round 2: F.S. Derek Pegues
Round 3: D.E. Vance Walker
Round 3: N.T. Dorell Scott
Round 4: O.G. Derrick Dockery
Round 5: N.T. Ron Brace
Round 6: F.S. Nate Ness
Round 7: N.T. Myron Pryor
Round 7: N.T. Antonio Dixon

Sounds CRAZY that I got us taking 5 D-lineman, and TWO F.S.'s, and then just one guard to round out the draft.

BUT, think about it, what are our weaknesses???????

We need a backup Guard cause we saw what happened with Kosier getting injured, that's where Dockery comes in.

We need TWO N.T.'s IMO, one to move Ratliff to D.E., and another to backup the starter and replace Tank Johnson, and we get that in Scott and Brace.

We need another D.E. who can get to the Q.B., and that's where Walker comes into play.

We need to get another playmaker at safety, and Pegues is a F.S. with Corner skills.

Even with Pegues, we need more depth, andf that's where Ness comes in who's a BALL HAWK!

Then I used TWO 7th round picks who PROBABLY won't make the team anyway (when I say probably won't make team, I don't mean Pryor or Dixon persay, I'm saying any 7th rounder is gonna be tough to make the team, so why not use them picks on guys who have huge upside potential) on possible STEALS who have some injury problems BUT who have 1st day potential who we can see if one of them really breaks out in camp like Ratliff another 7th rounder did, or put them on practice squad for a year and see what they can bring the following year once completely healthy.

Sure it's an OVERLOAD on the D-line, but I figured we'd move Ratliff to D.E. and cut Tank Johnson, that leaves TWO vacancies at N.T., I think as someone else mentioned, we keep Spears one more year so when he leaves, we get a comp pick for him, and does anyone really think we can't upgrade over Bowen or add another playmaker on the D-line the following year with one of the 7th rounders who we would sit for a year on the practice squad?

It's not an overload at F.S., but Roy Williams is a gonner, and even with Pegues, we need at least one more quality safety added to this roster and that's where Ness comes in.

I like the idea of OVERLOADING one position, that way you get GREAT competition in camp and competition brings out the best, we need players to push Spears, Bowen, Hatcher and possibly replace one, two, or all 3.

This then sets us up in 2010 draft where we'd have our whoel D-line stocked for years, we'd have our safety position locked up for a long time, and we already have our corners in great shape for years, and we got Ware and Spencer at O.L.B. for years.

On offense, we got T.E. locked up for years, R.B. locked up for years, and W.r. locked up for years.

SO that means in 2010, we can go out and move up in the draft and grab a true STUD I.L.B. like this guy

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/Alabama_logo.gif Rolando McClain*, Alabama
Height: 6-4. Weight: 255.
Projected 40 Time: 4.65.
Projected Round (2010): Top 25 Pick.
8/3/08: Despite being a mere true freshman, Rolando McClain started eight games, and recorded 75 tackles (five for loss), four pass break-ups and two interceptions. GMs will love the 4.6 at 255 pounds.

Grabbing those D-lineman will alos help out our L.b.'s next year also, and then if we take a guy in rond 1 of the 2010 draft like McClain, he'd be making a lot of big plays BECAUSE he's playing behind such a great D-line..

We'd basically by loaing up on our 2 biggest weaknesses this year (N.T./D-line/F.S.) be setting ourselves up to do whatever we want in the 2010 draft, maybe move up even into the top 10 to get a PLAYMAKER to put us over the top if we don't have a superbowl win by then, and/or just be loaded at every position and we can really use the 2010 draft to just grab ONE STUD I.L.B., and then go and rebuild our O-line cause basically every other position will be filled in 2010, we can then be like N.E. so stocked at all positions that we keep trading away picks for future picks and keep getting quality guys in early rounds while also getting additional early picks in future drafts.

this team is in the making and erly stages of a DYNASTY!
This is a BUILT TO WIN NOW superbwol team, BUT it's alos built for the long haul with all our key guys locked up long term at all the key positions.

We really need to hit on this upcoming draft, and what better way to hit then overload at the position of serious need?

I personally could live without drafting an O.T.this year with Free and McQuistan backing up and Columbo and Flo starting, I could live without taking a 6th or 7th round Q.B., and I could live without using a late round pick on a F.B. if it means we overload two positions of need for us this year and turn this years biggest weaknesses into the teams biggest strength in one draft, especially since we're stocked at most every other posiiton anyway.

I mean, do we REALLY need to draft another C.B. with a 6th or 7th round pick?

Do we really need a 7th round Q.B. who's gonna take 4 years to be effective anyway?

Is any 6th round f.B. gonna be better then Deon Anderson?

Is any 6th or 7th round O.T. gonna beat out Free or McQuistan?

I can wait till 2010 and use or top pick on an I.L.B. also, I'd prefer it, why not get a TRUE STUD to make this defense go to another level?
I can live with Thomas and James another year at I.L.B. and I don't see us having to grab a 6th or 7th round I.L.B. either..

So why not use all those picks we coudl use on a a C.B./F.B./Q.B./I.L.B. and load up one the two positions of need for this team????

We can then use our top pick on an I.L.b. in 2010 to get a stud and use our 2nd round an maybe an O.T. to groom behind Flozell.

But I love to overload, we did it at R.B. and C.B. this year by using a 1st and 4th roudn pick on R.B.'s in Felix Jones and Tashard Choice even though we just signed Marion Barber long term and we see hwo effective and important that was for us to overload and get good backups at that position.

Same with C.B., we had Newman who signed longterm deal, just drafted Jenkins in round 1, had Henry and also had Pacman and yet we still used a 5th rounder on yet another C.B. to overlaod the position and we all see how that worked out.

So why not overload the D-line and safety positions this year since we see how well it worked out for us at R.B. and C.B. this past draft.

Then we can overload on O.T. and I.L.B. the following year since basically every position on our team would be SET for 5 years except I.L.B. and O.T., so then we overload those 2 posiitons and then we'd really be set up for 5-7 years with a totally stocked team at EVERY POSITION.

this WILL be a DYNASTY TEAM the next 5-7 years we should be the perrennial superbowl favorites from the NFC!

Lets just keep hitting on our draft picks and we could see something really special.

wick

Reaction score
As a Horns fan, I'd be royally upset if we took Dockery in the fourth round. He's not a good player, and I'll leave it at that.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
wick;2465066 said:
As a Horns fan, I'd be royally upset if we took Dockery in the fourth round. He's not a good player, and I'll leave it at that.

I have been, and remain, singularly unimpressed with your analysis of Horns players...

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Derek Pegues was one of those game changing playmaker types in college. Can't ever have too many of those guys.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
wick;2465066 said:

What about the rest of the players, and the theory of overloading a serious need and weakness on our current team like we did last year with R.B. and C.B.?
Why not take our 2 biggest weaknesses and turn them into our 2 biggest strengths?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I think we may actually hit up oline as early as possible in the draft this year, but what do I know, the Cowboys always draft opposite of what I think we need. If I say OLINE, they'll draft a punter.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Our biggest NON-need this year is RB and TE so expect us to draft 2 of each. We may also go heavy on WR. :bang2:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas usually drafts and O-Lineman in the second round. I did not say ALWAYS but usually.

Just something to keep in mind.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ZeroClub;2465150 said:
Derek Pegues was one of those game changing playmaker types in college. Can't ever have too many of those guys.

having a guy with his speed at FS means we probably won't have to ask him to play so deep, like we ask Hamlin to do

that's one of the things that screwed us on Sunday, Hamlin has to play so far back that it leaves the middle of the D wide open in zone

I'd would like to see us draft an Ocoordinator

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Why would Dallas draft 4 nose tackles and 2 free safties ? Ratliff isn't going to be moved from NT , and Hamlin isn't going to be moved from FS , so where's the need ?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;2476990 said:
Why would Dallas draft 4 nose tackles and 2 free safties ? Ratliff isn't going to be moved from NT , and Hamlin isn't going to be moved from FS , so where's the need ?

The consensus seems to be that Hamlin would make an excellent SS and that Ratliff will benefit from a move to DE. I agree on both points. If we added a big, run-stuffing NT & a ball-hawking FS with speed, our defense would be dominant.

I like the Pegues pick. He's smallish (5'10") but he isn't afraid to hit. He has also played a lot of CB and KR for the Gamecocks which shows he's got some athletic ability and speed.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2477049 said:
The consensus seems to be that Hamlin would make an excellent SS and that Ratliff will benefit from a move to DE. I agree on both points. If we added a big, run-stuffing NT & a ball-hawking FS with speed, our defense would be dominant.

I like the Pegues pick. He's smallish (5'10") but he isn't afraid to hit. He has also played a lot of CB and KR for the Gamecocks which shows he's got some athletic ability and speed.

While I agree it's this boards consensus , I doubt seriously it's the coaching staffs . Ratliff has 42 tackles , 7 sacks , and 5 deflected passes in 13 games from the NT position . I don't see Dallas moving him to DE and hoping he'll do even better there . Why would Dallas take a player who is on a Pro Bowl pace at his position , move him elsewhere , and plug a rookie in his hole ? Seems like playing with fire .

I like Pegues too , but lets not forget why Hamlin was brougt in here . Dallas wanted a QB in the secondary , and somebody who could get the secondary in position pre-snap . They wanted a player that would help eliminate the imminent deep ball , while still providing run support . While I'd love to have a ball hawking FS like Ed Reed back there , Hamlin has really done exactly what has been asked of him .

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I get what you're saying about Ratliff but I think one of his strengths is his ability to line up all over the place. As far as being an everydown NT, I think teams can exploit his lack of size and in the 3-4, that makes us vulnerable against the run. I love Ratliff and think he's has played his butt off this year. I just feel a bigger NT and Ratliff on the edge makes our defense better.

All of the things you said about Hamlin are true but there is no reason he can't do all of those things from the SS spot. Hamilin loves to hit and isn't the quickest player out there. It's looking more and more like Henry may get moved to FS permanently, with Hamlin going to SS, and Roy Williams getting the boot. We'd still have Newman, Pacman, Jenkins, Scandrick, and Ball at CB.

With Colombo's re-signing we really don't have many holes. We definitely need O-Line depth. I'm thinking that Jerry will use the draft and free agency to upgrade this team since the talent level is so close. I think we'll be swapping draft picks for Veteran players who can come in and have an impact. I also expect us to let Cap heavy guys like Roy Williams and Greg Ellis go to free up enough cap space for 1 marquee free agent.

Scranton Tiger

Reaction score
If you're gonna go with a safety, the kid from Clemson (Michael Hamlin) is better than Pegues and way better than Ness.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Well I certainly like the idea of drafting another NT , I just don't know about drafting 4 of them :) . I really like Vince Oghobaase out of Duke . I could see him coming in situationally for Rat , and would be all for moving Rat around . I just don't want to move him over to DE and HOPE that a 2nd or 3rd round rookie can fill his shoes .

I still like the combo of Hamlin and Henry at FS (though I said Dallas would "Never move Henry to safety") and wouldn't change that . I'd rather draft a SS like P. Chung or M. Hamlin and keep Killer on the roster as a backup and special teamer .

I agree 100% on Colombo , and thought that was a huge signing . I'd really try to churn the roster on the OL through the draft though . While I would probably wait until day two , I'd leave the draft with a C , OG , and a OT . I'd give all three every opportunity to beat out the likes of Procter , Berger , and McQuistan . It's not like we haven't seen enough of these guys .

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'd really like to hear what the coaching staff has to say about Free. I don't see him out there at all (is he even active for games?). I like that 4 tackle offense Baltimore uses on run downs. If you look at our roster though I don't think adding McQuistan and Free would actually help the blocking. Witten and Bennett appear to be more effective blockers than those 2.

If Free has no real upside than we really need 4 o-linemen this off-season. A C, a G, and 2 T's. I really hope we add a G and C so we can say goodbye to Cory Proctor forever. The fact that Proctor plays back-up G over Joe Berger makes me think Berger must be God awful. I don't really see any upside in McQuistan. He's been here long enough to make an impression and he simply hasn't. Again, maybe Free still has some upside so we may only need 1 tackle. Dallas has had success with big, nasty offensive linemen so stop drafting softies like Jacob Rogers (see I can bash a USC guy) and James Marten. We need 6'6" 330-lb monsters.

Phil Loadhalt, Oklahoma, 6-8, 350
Herman Johnson, LSU, 6-7, 349
Fenuki Tupuo, Oregon, 6-5, 328
Alex Boone, Ohio State 6-8, 314
Adam Ulatoski, Texas 6-8, 310
Paul Fanaika, Arizona State, 6-6, 337
Louis Vazquez, Texas Tech, 6-6, 335
Dallas Reynolds, BYU, 6-5, 328
Eric VandenHeuvel, Wisconsin, 6-7, 323
Garrett Reynolds, North Carolina, 6-7, 310

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2477385 said:
I'd really like to hear what the coaching staff has to say about Free.

From what I read, they like him a lot.

. I don't really see any upside in McQuistan. He's been here long enough to make an impression and he simply hasn't.

With Flo and Columbo staying healthy, he has had no time to make an impression, looked good in pre-season and coached like him and his upside.

Phil Loadhalt, Oklahoma, 6-8, 350
Herman Johnson, LSU, 6-7, 349
Fenuki Tupuo, Oregon, 6-5, 328
Alex Boone, Ohio State 6-8, 314
Adam Ulatoski, Texas 6-8, 310
Paul Fanaika, Arizona State, 6-6, 337
Louis Vazquez, Texas Tech, 6-6, 335
Dallas Reynolds, BYU, 6-5, 328
Eric VandenHeuvel, Wisconsin, 6-7, 323
Garrett Reynolds, North Carolina, 6-7, 310

I like a lot of these guys and hopefully we can get two of them.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;2476990 said:
Why would Dallas draft 4 nose tackles and 2 free safties ?

They need a starting F.S. and could always use another good backup, that takes care of the F.S. question.

As for D.T., simple, we need TWO NT.'s, one to replace Ratliff and one to replace Tank.
Then one is drafted to be moved to D.E., unless you think Spears and Bowen and Hatcher are all irreplaceable.

And another is a 7th round pick who could be a steal depending on how he comes back from injury is all.

Ratliff isn't going to be moved from NT ,

UM, YES HE IS!
He isn't made for the N.T. with his size, great rushing the passer, but when he gets double teamed like most N.T.'s in a 3-4 get, he gets pushed backwards, you can't have that in your 3-4 N.T., he'll be much better at D.E, and will 100% not be our N.T. next year.

and Hamlin isn't going to be moved from FS , so where's the need

Why not?
HE certainly can play S.S. for us if we draft a more ballhawking F.S.!

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;2477067 said:
While I agree it's this boards consensus , I doubt seriously it's the coaching staffs . Ratliff has 42 tackles , 7 sacks , and 5 deflected passes in 13 games from the NT position .

Yeah, why move him from N.T. where he's too small to hold up against the run with double teams, and want to move him to D.E. where he'll see less double teams?

I don't see Dallas moving him to DE and hoping he'll do even better there . Why would Dallas take a player who is on a Pro Bowl pace at his position , move him elsewhere , and plug a rookie in his hole ? Seems like playing with fire .

Cause he'll do even BETTER without constant double teams and isn't big enough to hold up agianst the run consistenly enough with his size.
I like Pegues too , but lets not forget why Hamlin was brougt in here . Dallas wanted a QB in the secondary , and somebody who could get the secondary in position pre-snap . They wanted a player that would help eliminate the imminent deep ball , while still providing run support . While I'd love to have a ball hawking FS like Ed Reed back there , Hamlin has really done exactly what has been asked of him .

And he can still do everything you mentioned while playing S.S.