New Mock Draft, why not (LONG)

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Sorry TMQ , but Ratliff isn't going to get moved as much as you might want that , and Dallas isn't going to draft 4 nose tackles . Ratliff has played NT for two years and will be there again next season . As well as playing NT in the Pro-Bowl I'm sure .

Same story with Hamlin . I really wouldn't mind seeing Hamlin at SS , and think he'd do well there , but it's just not going to happen .

Yes...Spears will be back , and probably Canty too . This DL that you think gets pushed around by everybody is ranked 9th against the run in the NFL , and getting better .

It's much easier to fill positions of need through free-agency and the draft rather than moving a player internally to a new position , and then having to fill their hole . The coaching staff is aware of that .

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;2478449 said:
Sorry TMQ , but Ratliff isn't going to get moved as much as you might want that , and Dallas isn't going to draft 4 nose tackles . Ratliff has played NT for two years and will be there again next season . As well as playing NT in the Pro-Bowl I'm sure .

Same story with Hamlin . I really wouldn't mind seeing Hamlin at SS , and think he'd do well there , but it's just not going to happen .

Yes...Spears will be back , and probably Canty too . This DL that you think gets pushed around by everybody is ranked 9th against the run in the NFL , and getting better .

It's much easier to fill positions of need through free-agency and the draft rather than moving a player internally to a new position , and then having to fill their hole . The coaching staff is aware of that .

Our coaching staff knows how much better our defense would be if we had a true 3-4 N.T. who can take on double teams against the run and they also know how much more effective Ratliff would be at D.E. without so much congestion in the middle, hence it makes WAY TOO MUCH SENSE to draft a N.T. and move Ratliff to D.E.!
Mark my words, Ratliff will be our D.E. next year.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2480314 said:
Our coaching staff knows how much better our defense would be if we had a true 3-4 N.T. who can take on double teams against the run and they also know how much more effective Ratliff would be at D.E. without so much congestion in the middle, hence it makes WAY TOO MUCH SENSE to draft a N.T. and move Ratliff to D.E.!

If our coaching staff knows that , then why did they not pursue a NT either via free-agency or the draft in 2008 ? They made no attempt to draft anybody to even compete for the spot , and went in to camp with Ratliff penciled in as the starter for the second year in a row . Nothing has been mentioned by anybody on the staff about moving him , and they tried a rotation with him moving outside and Spears moving in for about 1 week before abandoning it completely . Sorry dude , but Rat is too good where he is .

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2480314 said:

I've come to understand that Ratliff at DE makes no sense because our DE's don't penetrate by design. They free up the OLB's to penetrate by taking up blockers. So Ratliff at DE is going to get like 2-3 sacks a year and not be nearly as disruptive.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;2480499 said:
If our coaching staff knows that , then why did they not pursue a NT either via free-agency or the draft in 2008 ? They made no attempt to draft anybody to even compete for the spot , and went in to camp with Ratliff penciled in as the starter for the second year in a row . Nothing has been mentioned by anybody on the staff about moving him , and they tried a rotation with him moving outside and Spears moving in for about 1 week before abandoning it completely . Sorry dude , but Rat is too good where he is .

That's what I've been saying moving Ratliff to DE wont instantly make him better and the production we're getting from him at the NT position it would be stupid to move him. Only way I see him getting move is if we get Haynesworth. I'm not sure if thatsmyQB understand how good of a season Ratliff is having and that you can't just plug and play.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
TheCount;2480752 said:
I've come to understand that Ratliff at DE makes no sense because our DE's don't penetrate by design. They free up the OLB's to penetrate by taking up blockers. So Ratliff at DE is going to get like 2-3 sacks a year and not be nearly as disruptive.

Exactly ! It's the same reason that Spears will keep his job and Canty will probably be resigned . They are doing what is asked of them . This has become a new look 3-4 and shouldn't be compared to the Steelers , Chargers , or any other 3-4 defense in the league . Too many people stereotype 3-4 players and think you must have a 330lb. NT with 250lb. linebackers running around behind them . Wade has proved that wrong with guys like Ratliff and James . This defense thrives on good players put in good positions , and not measurables .

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;2480499 said:
. Sorry dude , but Rat is too good where he is .

No he's not, he hurts our running game cause when he's double teamed on running plays he gets pushed backwards bigtime if you see the film, what he's great at is getting penetration and rushing the passer, but suffers with the run defense cause he's undersized to be a 3-4 N.T., and thus his best position is D.E.!
I'll GLADLY make any sig bet you want that he will be moved to D.E. next year.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2480752 said:

Um, who told you this?
Our whole D-line by DESIGN is to penetrate, that's Phillips scheme and motto, sorry buddy, but you're dead wrong on this one.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2480770 said:
That's what I've been saying moving Ratliff to DE wont instantly make him better and the production we're getting from him at the NT position it would be stupid to move him. Only way I see him getting move is if we get Haynesworth. I'm not sure if thatsmyQB understand how good of a season Ratliff is having and that you can't just plug and play.

I understand he's having a great season, still doesn't account for the FACT that he hurts us in the run game and gets pushed backwards when double teamed on a lot of running plays, something you don't want out of your 3-4 N.T.!

Like I told the other guy, I'm willing to bet ANYTHING you guys want that we go out and get a big N.T. and RATliff gets moved to D.E. next year.
Without having to worry about stuffing the run everydown at N.T., it would free him up to rush the passer more and if he was moved to D.E. he would also get less double teams and less congestion from blockers and probably have a 12-15 sack year.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;2480781 said:
Exactly ! It's the same reason that Spears will keep his job and Canty will probably be resigned . They are doing what is asked of them . This has become a new look 3-4 and shouldn't be compared to the Steelers , Chargers , or any other 3-4 defense in the league . Too many people stereotype 3-4 players and think you must have a 330lb. NT with 250lb. linebackers running around behind them . Wade has proved that wrong with guys like Ratliff and James . This defense thrives on good players put in good positions , and not measurables .

Have you not wathced NFL network?
They showed WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT tons of times Ratliff getting pushed bck 5 yards on double teams on running plays, you can't have a 3-4 N.t. getting pushed backwards, EVER!
He's having a great season, getting tons of Q.B. pressures and what not, but is a LIABILITY as a 3-4 N.T. against the run, and if he was nmoved to D.E. which I GUARANTEE next year he will be, his sack totals will go up a lot.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2480841 said:
No he's not, he hurts our running game cause when he's double teamed on running plays he gets pushed backwards bigtime if you see the film, what he's great at is getting penetration and rushing the passer, but suffers with the run defense cause he's undersized to be a 3-4 N.T., and thus his best position is D.E.!
I'll GLADLY make any sig bet you want that he will be moved to D.E. next year.

I don't know what a sig bet is , but I'll bet you my cat's eye shooter marble ? It never fails that we have some guy come around here every year that fancies himself a draft "guru". He throws around terms like watch the film , because I watch the games , I have NFL Network , your on crack , if the coaching staff selects him they should all be fired , etc...etc...etc . It's all very typical , very boering , and very you . I'll be around in 2009 (God willing) and if Ratliff lines up at DE for the season you can beat your chest and I'll bow down to the all knowing all seeing TMQ . Until then your just a guy .

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2480849 said:
I understand he's having a great season, still doesn't account for the FACT that he hurts us in the run game and gets pushed backwards when double teamed on a lot of running plays, something you don't want out of your 3-4 N.T.!

Like I told the other guy, I'm willing to bet ANYTHING you guys want that we go out and get a big N.T. and RATliff gets moved to D.E. next year.
Without having to worry about stuffing the run everydown at N.T., it would free him up to rush the passer more and if he was moved to D.E. he would also get less double teams and less congestion from blockers and probably have a 12-15 sack year.

Is that even possible in a 3-4? 12-15 sack year.....

Um yeah if he getting constantly doubled that doesn't hurt us that helps us because that means one of the LB'r not see that lineman. He'd be hurting us more if he wasn't getting doubled teamed and that the lineman was getting to the next level.......nice try though.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;2480871 said:
I don't know what a sig bet is , but I'll bet you my cat's eye shooter marble ? It never fails that we have some guy come around here every year that fancies himself a draft "guru". He throws around terms like watch the film , because I watch the games , I have NFL Network , your on crack , if the coaching staff selects him they should all be fired , etc...etc...etc . It's all very typical , very boering , and very you . I'll be around in 2009 (God willing) and if Ratliff lines up at DE for the season you can beat your chest and I'll bow down to the all knowing all seeing TMQ . Until then your just a guy .

:muttley:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I like the first pick at FS. The kid would get playing time, and learn, while Anthony Henry could hold down the FS spot for a year or two. I do believe Dallas will move him to FS and Hamlin to SS this offseason.

With that in mind I can't see Dallas then picking another FS later. Also I don't understand why you'd think they;re going to pick 4 DT/NT's in one draft. Are you saying that you think every single player who is a DT this year will not be next year?

Don't see that happening.

I see Dallas going pretty heavy on the O-Line in the draft this year in an attempt to shore up some nice depth.

dmoore

Reaction score
Your way off base on your draft plans and your beliefs on Ratliff.

First, let's start with the draft. Even if we were in the fantasy world where Ratliff isn't an amazing NT and perfect for what we're doing on defense, not to mention the heart and soul of that side of the ball, we're not drafting 4 N.T. When you have a hole to fill, you don't just draft a bunch of guys at that spot and hope one works out. That's stupid. You do your homework and draft the right guy. Maybe 2 for depth, but you could always pick up a vet to serve as a back-up, making another pick on the same position overkill. FS isn't a bad place to go, but 2 again isn't needed. We have guys on our squad currently who can be adequate back-up FS, and it's asking a lot out of a rookie 2nd round pick to start on a defense as good as ours. Draft the best guy available, regardless of position, and fill holes through FA. That's how championship teams are built.

Now on to Ratliff. Ratliff is having a great year. I do not see where he is a liability at all. If he gets pushed back by a double team, that only frees up our linebackers to make plays. Our defense is on a roll, and I don't know how anyone can watch the performance last week and say we can be exploited in the running game. Moving Ratliff to end isn't going to make him more productive or better. He's playing as good as anyone in the league at NT. At DE, he's going to look a lot like Spears. That's not a dig at Spears, but that's just what our DEs do in this system.

Now why on earth would you want a run stuffing NT? To eat up blocks? I'd much rather have a playmaker inside who collapses the pocket and gives QBs nightmares. Ratliff's John Randal, he's Warren Sapp in his prime, he makes this defense go. What, you'd rather have Tony Siragusa? No other team that runs a 3-4 has a player like Ratliff in the middle, and it's what makes our defense unique and tough to scheme against. After the performance Sunday, they might be the best in the league right now.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you should really start to question its validity when you see how universally you get critizied for it. It really is tough to read your logical failures. I might actually have to use the ignore button for the first time ever ;).

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2480887 said:
Is that even possible in a 3-4? 12-15 sack year.....

Um yeah if he getting constantly doubled that doesn't hurt us that helps us because that means one of the LB'r not see that lineman. He'd be hurting us more if he wasn't getting doubled teamed and that the lineman was getting to the next level.......nice try though.

Wow you keep proving you knwo nothin about football.
a 3-4 N.T. WHOEVER IT IS usually always gets doubled, so it's not like Ratliff is getting double teams cause he's so great, he's getting them casue that's what a N.T. in a 3-4 gets, DOUBLE TEAMED A LOT ALL GAME!!!!

So then if we had a run stuffing big N.T., he would get double teamed and leaving Ratliff NOT DOUBLE TEAMED most of the time if he played D.E.!

you remember what I said about someone thinking you know nothing then opening your mouth and proving it? :lmao2:

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2480887 said:
Is that even possible in a 3-4? 12-15 sack year..... nice try though.

ONCE AGAIN, better for people to think you know nothing then open your mouth and PROVE IT!
OF COURSE it's possible, even done before by one guy who had 15 one year and 19 another year as a 3-4 D.E.!
So YEAH not only is 12-15 sacks possible for a 3-4 D.E., one guy actually had 19 in one year, so you might wanna stop talkin about now! LOL

NICE TRY THOUGH!

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
[quoFS later.te=BraveHeartFan;2481158]
With that in mind I can't see Dallas then picking another F.S. later

Why not?
We just signed Marion Barber, drafted Felix Jones in round 1 and then took another R.B. in round 4, and then we had Henry and Newman and Pacman and then drafted Jenkins in round one and STILL drafted Scandrick in round 5 later in the draft.

Also I don't understand why you'd think they;re going to pick 4 DT/NT's in one draft. Are you saying that you think every single player who is a DT this year will not be next year?

We have only 2 D.T.'s, Ratliff and Tank, one will be moved to D.E. and the other won't be resigned IMO, that leaves TWO N.T.'s that need to be drafted, and then I have us taking one other D.T. who I would like to convert to be a D.E. like New England does, Then the 4th N.T. is just a 7th round draft pick with upside is all, if he pans out great, if not he's a 7th round cut, not a big deal.

I'd like to overload F.S. and D-line with one or two O-lineman mixed in, and would hold off on every other position till the 2010 draft where we can move up and grab a STUD I.L.B. with our 1st rounder in 2010.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2481810 said:
ONCE AGAIN, better for people to think you know nothing then open your mouth and PROVE IT!
OF COURSE it's possible, even done before by one guy who had 15 one year and 19 another year as a 3-4 D.E.!
So YEAH not only is 12-15 sacks possible for a 3-4 D.E., one guy actually had 19 in one year, so you might wanna stop talkin about now! LOL

NICE TRY THOUGH!

Who did that in a 3-4 ?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2481781 said:
Wow you keep proving you knwo nothin about football.
a 3-4 N.T. WHOEVER IT IS usually always gets doubled, so it's not like Ratliff is getting double teams cause he's so great, he's getting them casue that's what a N.T. in a 3-4 gets, DOUBLE TEAMED A LOT ALL GAME!!!!

So then if we had a run stuffing big N.T., he would get double teamed and leaving Ratliff NOT DOUBLE TEAMED most of the time if he played D.E.!

you remember what I said about someone thinking you know nothing then opening your mouth and proving it? :lmao2:

If a play doesn't require to be double teamed they won't double team him. He's enough of a force one on one that he needs to be doubled teamed. Any other way you try to spin it is simply BS.