Twitter: New proposed cba would eliminate game suspensions for positive marijuana tests

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Drug testing policies are determined at the state level. In the state I live in, testing can only be done pre-employment or if probable cause is established indicating drug use. Random testing is not allowed.

There are exceptions for certain 'high risk' jobs.

That very well may be in your state. My state employers can do pre-employment and random if they choose to.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Nonsense. You said-

Your argument is they shouldn't stop testing for it because they have the right to test for it. The question was why you have a problem with weed, not whether or not people have to follow company policies.

I've answered this a few times already. I have no problem with anyone that wants to smoke some weed to smoke it. I also feel that if there are laws that prohibit it or your employer has a policy against it you shouldn't. I've also stated several times why I don't think the NFL should life suspensions on fail test for weed if for no other reason than until weed is legal to use in every state the has an NFL team it is not fair to all because some would have to break the law to use it. Right now there are only 7 teams that are located in states where weed is legal. That's less than 1/4 of the teams. I have other reason and I'm just tire of repeating them.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
First of all, just because the courts ruled something to be legal, doesn’t mean it’s a good policy. It’s one thing if your employees are operating heavy machinery or something like that. But in the case of the NFL, I see no benefits to suspending players for marijuana. Also, all anabolic steroids are Schedule III controlled substances, so they are not legal for the public to possess without a valid prescription.

First off I didn't say steroids weren't controlled, but even if a person has a prescription they can take it without any negative repercussions, NFL players can't. Also ANY drug out there can be bought by someone if they know who has them but that's beside the point. I've written all of the reasons I don't think weed should be acceptable and without suspension in the NFL and I'm tire of rewriting them for every comment.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
So if jobs started testing for alcohol in states where pot is legal, you'd be totally ok with that as well?

Now you're getting ridiculous. If they did that it would mean people couldn't take cough medicine because there is alcohol in it. It would also mean that in homes and restaurants that use alcohol in their cooking they would be able to do that either. How about some mouthwashes that have alcohol in them. Let me know when you want to ask a serious question.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
lol what. the topic at hand is that the NFL would stop punishing players for smoking weed, you don't have a problem with weed, but you don't think the owners should agree to this because you respect rules?

if they're willing to concede, and you don't have a problem with weed, why on earth do you have any objection? you sound like you snitch on your coworkers for printing off a recipe at work

Besides the many times I've already given why I'm against the NFL dropping suspensions for smoking weed try this one. Right now there are only 7 teams that are instates where weed is legal so that means 25 teams are located in states where it's still illegal. How fair is it that only players on those 7 teams could smoke weed without breaking laws but the players on the other 25 teams would have to be breaking a law to smoke weed. On this matter when weed is legal in all states that have NFL teams then it would be different, but there are other reasons why I'm against it and to tire of writing them over and over.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I said IF :facepalm: meaning it wasnt part if the constitution.
how old are you with your reading comprehension

Hello, what part of and I'll quote you "Lol laws. If it was a law to turn in all firearms would you do so?" is there ANY stated or implication of it not protect by the constitution? If you meant that you should have said that but instead you just said laws and then I correctly pointed out that owning firearms is protected by the constitution and lawmakers would waste time passing a law like that because it would get either vetoed or thrown out in the Supreme Court. I have no comprehension problem but I see you have a problem that you think people should understand things you don;t write as if they were.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'd leave that up to the teams to police themselves. No job supports their employees using illegal drugs. But some jobs randomly test due to liability concerns. I don't know who you work for, but I never heard of an employer randomly testing for drugs if there isn't liability concerns.

When I was a road maintenance employee for the NJ Turnpike I was randomly tested. As a toll collector I am not. As a Verizon employee in the office I was not. As a UPS loader/unloader I was not. Never tested after initial employment. I was never randomly tested as a cashier at Pathmark. All of these employers I mentioned do have a department where they randomly drug test. They are the jobs where you actually drive their vehicles. They don't care how much a toll collector or unloader is drinking or using drugs. Yet if you're high or drunk at any of these jobs you'll get fired. Sports should be no different. There is no need to test. If they're caught using then discipline them.

I work for a company where we have contact with the public and they don't want people interacting with the public who smoke pot. I never did but there are people that smoke a little before they go to work and therefore the company's concerns are legit. This company has pre-employment screenings and random drug tests. I had two random test within 9 months of each other but I haven't had one now in like the last 16 or 18 months. So companies do have tests that have nothing to do with liability. I'll give you another profession that is white collar that has random testing. Stock brokers and they have a absolute zero tolerance on failed test. I have a cousin who was a stock broker until he failed a test and lost his license.

Proof

Reaction score
Besides the many times I've already given why I'm against the NFL dropping suspensions for smoking weed try this one. Right now there are only 7 teams that are instates where weed is legal so that means 25 teams are located in states where it's still illegal. How fair is it that only players on those 7 teams could smoke weed without breaking laws but the players on the other 25 teams would have to be breaking a law to smoke weed. On this matter when weed is legal in all states that have NFL teams then it would be different, but there are other reasons why I'm against it and to tire of writing them over and over.

super weird.

Staggerlee

chip_gilkey
Reaction score
Now you're getting ridiculous. If they did that it would mean people couldn't take cough medicine because there is alcohol in it. It would also mean that in homes and restaurants that use alcohol in their cooking they would be able to do that either. How about some mouthwashes that have alcohol in them. Let me know when you want to ask a serious question.
You realize it's possible to test for amounts of alcohol, correct? The levels present for those types of uses would be negligible. If you go on a bender you'll have high amounts in your system for upwards of 24 hours.... Use some common sense

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
First of all, just because the courts ruled something to be legal, doesn’t mean it’s a good policy. It’s one thing if your employees are operating heavy machinery or something like that. But in the case of the NFL, I see no benefits to suspending players for marijuana.

It's arguably both medically hypocritical and harmful of the NFL to ban pot. Medically, some players use it for pain. Less risky than using the opioids which they prescribe instead.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Hello, what part of and I'll quote you "Lol laws. If it was a law to turn in all firearms would you do so?" is there ANY stated or implication of it not protect by the constitution? If you meant that you should have said that but instead you just said laws and then I correctly pointed out that owning firearms is protected by the constitution and lawmakers would waste time passing a law like that because it would get either vetoed or thrown out in the Supreme Court. I have no comprehension problem but I see you have a problem that you think people should understand things you don;t write as if they were.
My point is you sound like a naive clown. Just because something is a law means its right and shouldnt be fought?

Gaede

Reaction score
People are free to do as they feel but unfortunately the courts have already ruled that employers can still enforce any policy that states they can terminate for a fail drug test and they are still free to do pre-employment and random testing.

It is unfortunate.

Flamma

Reaction score
I work for a company where we have contact with the public and they don't want people interacting with the public who smoke pot. I never did but there are people that smoke a little before they go to work and therefore the company's concerns are legit. This company has pre-employment screenings and random drug tests. I had two random test within 9 months of each other but I haven't had one now in like the last 16 or 18 months. So companies do have tests that have nothing to do with liability. I'll give you another profession that is white collar that has random testing. Stock brokers and they have a absolute zero tolerance on failed test. I have a cousin who was a stock broker until he failed a test and lost his license.

I would imagine teachers would be randomly tested as well. Although I don't think their punishment would be as severe if they tested positive.

In my opinion my previous job was too lenient. I used to drive various vehicles including snow plows for a major highway. An employee there would have to fail 5 random drug tests to lose his job. It could take 10 years to be randomly tested 5 times alone. But it's easy for me to say because the most I do is drink occasionally. Others may think differently.

LoneStar84

Reaction score
First off I didn't say steroids weren't controlled, but even if a person has a prescription they can take it without any negative repercussions, NFL players can't. Also ANY drug out there can be bought by someone if they know who has them but that's beside the point. I've written all of the reasons I don't think weed should be acceptable and without suspension in the NFL and I'm tire of rewriting them for every comment.
The tide is turning on marijuana, and people are finally realizing it is not a dangerous drug and actually has many benefits. It’s only a matter of time before it’s legalized nationwide, so there is no reason for the NFL to fight this change. I don’t use it personally but I know of a lot of people that it has really helped, from people with chronic pain to former soldiers with PTSD. Frankly, I don’t understand how people such as yourself can’t see this. You seem to think people should be slaves to their employer.

LoneStar84

Reaction score
I've answered this a few times already. I have no problem with anyone that wants to smoke some weed to smoke it. I also feel that if there are laws that prohibit it or your employer has a policy against it you shouldn't. I've also stated several times why I don't think the NFL should life suspensions on fail test for weed if for no other reason than until weed is legal to use in every state the has an NFL team it is not fair to all because some would have to break the law to use it. Right now there are only 7 teams that are located in states where weed is legal. That's less than 1/4 of the teams. I have other reason and I'm just tire of repeating them.
Where are you getting 7 teams? I can think of 9 off the top of head: Chargers, Rams, 49ers, Broncos, Bears, Patriots, Lions, Raiders, and Seahawks. Not to mention all the teams in states with medical marijuana.

So far, there are 11 total recreational weed states, but 2020 may lead to a few more joining them. New York, New Mexico, Minnesota, and Illinois are predicted to go fully legal fairly soon. As of now, 47 of the 50 states allow for some form of medical weed.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
MEANWHILE....
3pynpt.jpg