Next Demarcus Ware?

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Victor Adeyanju

PC_FBALLCM22.jpg

Height:: 6-4
Weight:: 275
40 yard dash:: 4.50(sportingnews.com) 4.61 (nfldraftcountdown.com)

DE, Indiana

War Room analysis
Strengths: Has good size, strength and athleticism. Shows good quickness off the edge. Has a quick first step, and shows strong pass-rush moves and a good closing burst. Can be a terror in the backfield. Has the speed to chase down plays from the backside, and makes plays in pursuit. Plays with good leverage against the run, and is an excellent tackler.

Weaknesses: Plays too high at times; must work at staying low and getting good leverage. Struggles at times to hold his ground at the point of attack.
Bottom line: Adeyanju is a consistent and durable force. He is a tremendous athlete and competitor who has the potential to be a long-term NFL playmaker. With a great senior season, Adeyanju has become a solid third-round option. He could continue to shoot up draft boards with outstanding postseason workouts.

PROFILES::

http://iuhoosiers.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/adeyanju_victor00.html
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/victoradeyanju.html
http://www.indiana.edu/~athlweb/graphic/sports/football/players/adeyanju.html

Articles::

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Big_Ten/2005_Previews/Indiana_defense.htm
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050814/SPORTS0601/508140465/1069
http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/uw/football/index.php?ntid=56072&ntpid=116

neosapien23

Reaction score
Wow! Thats alot of size and speed. Reminds me more of Willie Meginest than Ware. He would be an intriguing pick. Would be an ideal canidate for the 2nd to 3rd round.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
Victor Adeyanju

PC_FBALLCM22.jpg

Height:: 6-4
Can he move in the open field and cover RB's/TE's ? If so, then he's a nice prospect.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
What people need to realize is that we're not looking for another Ware. YOu don't put the same pass-rusher type guy on both sides of the 3-4.

Some of these OLB's are better equipped to pass rush off the weak side due to their size and strength limitations. Others are better suited to play over the TE...they blitz now and then as a change up, but usually they have to take on the TE, guard against the run, and play like a REAL lb, not a standup DE.

Lawrence Tayler was the stand up DE...BAnks was the real LB.

Believe me, the OLB we're looking for now is NOT going to be a tweener who played DE in college. YOu can't play two guys like that who aren't natural LBs...your defense would get killed. The lb who plays opposite Ware will have to be big and strong enough to play over the TE, instinctive enough to play off the ball like a real LB, able to cover TEs and RBs in pass coverage, and hopefully be a good enough pass rusher to be an effective blitzer.

Ware is a pass rusher...the other LB is merely a blitzer who comes occasionally...you can't rush 5 guys most of the time, leaving only two ILB's in coverage.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
What people need to realize is that we're not looking for another Ware. YOu don't put the same pass-rusher type guy on both sides of the 3-4.

Some of these OLB's are better equipped to pass rush off the weak side due to their size and strength limitations. Others are better suited to play over the TE...they blitz now and then as a change up, but usually they have to take on the TE, guard against the run, and play like a REAL lb, not a standup DE.

Believe me, the OLB we're looking for now is NOT going to be a tweener who played DE in college. YOu can't play two guys like that who aren't natural LBs...your defense would get killed. The lb who plays opposite Ware will have to be big and strong enough to play over the TE, instinctive enough to play off the ball like a real LB, able to cover TEs and RBs in pass coverage, and hopefully be a good enough pass rusher to be an effective blitzer.

Ware is a pass rusher...the other LB is merely a blitzer who comes occasionally...you can't rush 5 guys most of the time, leaving only two ILB's in coverage.

You my friend are underscoring Ware's abilities a bit IMO he is a REAL lb. Coverage, run support, and pass rushing what else do have to do. He may have lapses where he was inefficiant in one or the other at times in the season but overall he is a very capable LB and we could use another just like em if we could get one.

VACowboy

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

Carpenter's the guy, though I hate drafting injured players in the 1st.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
4lifecowboy said:
You my friend are underscoring Ware's abilities a bit IMO he is a REAL lb. Coverage, run support, and pass rushing what else do have to do. He may have lapses where he was inefficiant in one or the other at times in the season but overall he is a very capable LB and we could use another just like em if we could get one.
minor detail...underscoring means emphasizing...I'm sure you are being critical of my post for perhaps underestimating.

And you are correct...in my opinion Ware is a long way from becoming a real lb. He's a stand up DE...I don't call that run support...it's his job to protect the outside the same as a DE in the 4-3....he doesn't do well in pass coverage...thus he wasn't asked to do it much. He didn't even line up on different sides of the field much...he basically lined up as a DE on the right side of the defense almost exclusively.

Maybe he has the talent and ability to become a LB...I won't suggest he doesn't, but nothing he did this year indicated that he's a real LB. Right now he's the OLB in charge of getting after the QB in the 3-4. I don't see how you could argue that. When asked to cover RB's or TE's, he tended to lose them, especially in the red zone for TD's...I think that's why we used him mostly as a 1 trick pony this year. He'd never even played on this feet in college before, so this is all a major transition for him.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
VACowboy said:
Carpenter's the guy, though I hate drafting injured players in the 1st.
I agree....we'll be in the market for a guy who actually played LB in college this time around. No way we'll select another DE tweener like Ware...there's only 1 spot for that guy on our defense...you can't afford to have two of them.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne_motley said:

EXACTLY!

We need a guy that can cover AND can provide containment on running plays.

Pass rush ability is further down the list.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4lifecowboy said:

His ability to contain vs the run is very not good at this point.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne_motley said:
minor detail...underscoring means emphasizing...I'm sure you are being critical of my post for perhaps underestimating.

And you are correct...in my opinion Ware is a long way from becoming a real lb. He's a stand up DE...I don't call that run support...it's his job to protect the outside the same as a DE in the 4-3....he doesn't do well in pass coverage...thus he wasn't asked to do it much. He didn't even line up on different sides of the field much...he basically lined up as a DE on the right side of the defense almost exclusively.

Maybe he has the talent and ability to become a LB...I won't suggest he doesn't, but nothing he did this year indicated that he's a real LB. Right now he's the OLB in charge of getting after the QB in the 3-4. I don't see how you could argue that. When asked to cover RB's or TE's, he tended to lose them, especially in the red zone for TD's...I think that's why we used him mostly as a 1 trick pony this year. He'd never even played on this feet in college before, so this is all a major transition for him.

No he is not a "real" linebacker at this point and if we have another opposite him and we'll have all sorts of problems on defense.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne_motley said:
I agree....we'll be in the market for a guy who actually played LB in college this time around. No way we'll select another DE tweener like Ware...there's only 1 spot for that guy on our defense...you can't afford to have two of them.

I was sick enough seeing backs break outside containment all season... let's get one guy that is good enough on containment.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
His ability to contain vs the run is very not good at this point.
Early in the season I would agree. But he showed great technique later and an ability to shed blockers later. He was racking up the stuffs. His coverage is lacking though...

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
EXACTLY!

We need a guy that can cover AND can provide containment on running plays.

Pass rush ability is further down the list.

Ayodele is seeming more and more like the solution. He plays the strong side and can help in the running game/cover TE's/ and rush the QB. IMO we will sign a FA and draft a guy like him on the second day.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967 said:
if Mike Zimmer is reading this forums, you just became his hero

David

LOL!

Thanks David!

I just think we have far bigger problems at LB where run defense and pass coverage come into play.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joshjwc9 said:
Ayodele is seeming more and more like the solution. He plays the strong side and can help in the running game/cover TE's/ and rush the QB. IMO we will sign a FA and draft a guy like him on the second day.

That could be.