Next Demarcus Ware?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I agree... for SOLB. The WOLB in a 3-4 needs to be able to get to the QB first and foremost. In short, the WOLB needs to be, well, Ware. That's why I think we have a lot of potential to be a good 3-4 team by this coming season... because Ware should be a good one.

Unlike most in this thread, I think that Ware, by the end of his rookie season, was playing his run and coverage resposibilities well. He always had contain in the last half of the season and actually made some real good plays behind the line of scrimmage in the running game.

Fujita? Now that's a different story. IMO getting someone to play that SOLB position, getting our Carl Banks, is priority #1 on defense. A good, solid, big LB playing opposite Ware will take our defense up a few notches. If he can be a good pass rusher especially. Carpenter or someone like him, is a real possibility at #18, I think. And it could be a converted DE like Lawson if they think he really can handle the run and pass coverage duties... still, like Wayne said... I think thats not as likely as a big Carpenter type LB.

It should be interesting... and who knows, Burnett with a year of lifting and training could be that SOLB. He definately would have the pass rush part down. I still see him taking Dat's place though. He's some kind of athlete... if he can stay healthy (that's up in the air) and pick up the mental part (he's definately smart enough) he could be a good one.

:hammer:

and speaking of Lawson, he played OLB at NCstate before he moved to DE

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
A good offensive line can always neutralize a good pass rush. Go back and watch the last two Super Bowls. Watch how New England totally handled two very good pass rushes using short drops and good protection schemes.

And typically it is not the ILB's that are assigned with outside containment. If your outside linebackers can't contain, which ours couldn't on many occassions, then your defense is going to get run up and down the field on... and over the last part of the season ours was.

Pass coverage? Our linebackers sucked doing that to for the most part.

the 3-4 is a complicated D, moreso than the 4-3, that explains why our OLbs had so many problems in containment and pass defense, cuz none of them ever held those responsibilites before, it requires alot of thinking, ever heard of the phrase, "thinking instead of reacting"? these guys were thinking, not reacting, which can't happen in an aggressive scheme, but reacting will come about with more experience executing in the 3-4

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Wow... Ware isn't a "real" linebacker? What does that mean?

Of course he's a real LB, and a prototypical one at that.

But if you think Lawrence Taylor wasn't a real LB either, I guess there's no use arguing the point.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
First, I think Joey Porter is a great LB. Yes, he rushes the QB, but he's a very good all around LB...hopefully that is what Ware will be in time. What I'm saying is that Ware is still in the developmental stages...he's not a solid LB yet...he doesn't cover well, and frankly his entire game was less than exceptional until the Carolina game.

Look at his stats again...he had 3 sacks and all 3 forced fumbles on the same 3 plays against Carolina where he didn't even get a hit on the QB...I'm not complaining..those were great plays for us and him, but take away that one good game and his entire season was nothing to write home about, especially since he was all but invisible the entire middle of the season, especially in our big games with NY and Washington.

He played well for a rookie

are you serious? Ware led the team in TFL and was 2nd in QB pressures, and had offenses focusing in on him for much of the year, he did exactly what he was brought in to do as a rookie

Chuck 54

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
uh, Ware was asked to pass defend quite a bit this year, in fact, his agent kinda complained a few days ago that Ware wasnt allowed to get after the QB as much as he should of, cuz he was asked to stay back in coverage alot

is he great at it? close? hell no, but that's expecting a little too much from a DE in college in his rookie year, starting from Day 1

This is not directed at you, but at your source...his agent. That's bull...I saw every single Cowboys game this year, some at home and the rest at my favorite sports bar. I don't know if Ware was asked to defend the run first or contain against screens first...that could affect the pass rush, but he was NOT asked to play in coverage much...hardly at all. Every single play was a repeat of every other play...he lines up on the OT and comes off the edge...The complaints here early on were that we weren't swapping sides or doing anything to switch things up to help him...it was just line up and go.

I want to hear if anyone else who watched the games believes he was in coverage "a lot"....I think it was very seldom, mostly on the goal line, and he sucked at it.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
This is not directed at you, but at your source...his agent. That's bull...I saw every single Cowboys game this year, some at home and the rest at my favorite sports bar. I don't know if Ware was asked to defend the run first or contain against screens first...that could affect the pass rush, but he was NOT asked to play in coverage much...hardly at all. Every single play was a repeat of every other play...he lines up on the OT and comes off the edge...The complaints here early on were that we weren't swapping sides or doing anything to switch things up to help him...it was just line up and go.

I want to hear if anyone else who watched the games believes he was in coverage "a lot"....I think it was very seldom, mostly on the goal line, and he sucked at it.

are you serious? the OLBs in our scheme have alot of coverage responsibilities, hell, in preseason Parcells spoke of it, and how it would affect Ware as a rookie

Chuck 54

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:

and speaking of Lawson, he played OLB at NCstate before he moved to DE
I won't argue your point that he got better at containing the run, but it wasn't consistent throughout the second half of the season...revisit the KC game....he was god awful and beaten outside almost every time. He was replaced by Burnett for a series..Burnett played great and shut down the run...when Ware returned, he was better.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Brandon Guillory 6'4 (250)

Brandon Guillory began as a walk-on wideout for the Louisiana-Monroe football team. His athletic gifts were obvious and he excelled as a special teamer before settling in as an OLB and finally a pass-rushing DE. He has outstanding speed (has been timed as fast as 4.42 in the 40) and is an incredible athlete (38" VJ and graded out as the top conditioned player on the team). Guillory likely projects as a 3-4 OLB where he can rush the passer much as DeMarcus Ware does for the Dallas Cowboys. Guillory will continue to produce on the field and will create a big stir once he hits the Combine. Look for Guillory to be a first-day selection at the 2006 NFL Draft.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
are you serious? the OLBs in our scheme have alot of coverage responsibilities, hell, in preseason Parcells spoke of it, and how it would affect Ware as a rookie
We'll have to agree to disagree...I saw it with my own eyes...Ware was the
fourth guy rushing the QB on almost every down...who do you think was rushing the QB...just the front 3? The guy people keep bringing up, Lawrence Taylor, seldom played pass coverage either...moreso as he became more of a veteran...1 LB is almost always rushing the QB. We seldom used Fajita in that role...it was almost exclusively Ware.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Brandon Guillory 6'4 (250)

Brandon Guillory began as a walk-on wideout for the Louisiana-Monroe football team. His athletic gifts were obvious and he excelled as a special teamer before settling in as an OLB and finally a pass-rushing DE. He has outstanding speed (has been timed as fast as 4.42 in the 40) and is an incredible athlete (38" VJ and graded out as the top conditioned player on the team). Guillory likely projects as a 3-4 OLB where he can rush the passer much as DeMarcus Ware does for the Dallas Cowboys. Guillory will continue to produce on the field and will create a big stir once he hits the Combine. Look for Guillory to be a first-day selection at the 2006 NFL Draft.

250? Demarcus Ware was once at 265... now Victor is 275.. just imagine Victor losing 10 pounds... 265... = Pass-rusher..:laugh2:

I like you angle though...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
and those who don't want 2 rush pass 1st OLBs, well, our scouts talked to Kamerion Wimbley and Mark Anderson, 2 DEs

neosapien23

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
250? Demarcus Ware was once at 265... now Victor is 275.. just imagine Victor losing 10 pounds... 265... = Pass-rusher..:laugh2:

Victor is pretty solid and doesn't have much body fat. I'm not too sure about making him lose 10 lbs. He already runs a low 4.6 so he isn't going to get much faster. As a matter of fact losing 10 lbs might weaken him. Dallas could draft this guy in the 2nd round and move him to Ware's spot and move Ware to the other OLB spot. That would give us too big, strong, and fast OLBs. We would have to go through a year of growing pains with this guy though. He reminds me of a young Willie Miginest. Ware improved his coverage at the end of the season so I think he could play the strong side.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
and those who don't want 2 rush pass 1st OLBs, well, our scouts talked to Kamerion Wimbley and Mark Anderson, 2 DEs
Love Anderson alot.

neosapien23

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:

I know you wanted Lawson, but it ain't going to happen. I think Dallas is going to get their tweener in the 2nd round. If Huff or really good LT slips they will make that pick. Someone like Jon Scott or Winston Justice could play LT while Adams is moved to the right side.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:

I wasn't debating over another player, I was just responding to the next Demarcus Ware types.. I was just throwing one out there.:)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I know you wanted Lawson, but it ain't going to happen.

it's 50/50

neosapien23 said:
I think Dallas is going to get their tweener in the 2nd round. If Huff or really good LT slips they will make that pick. Someone like Jon Scott or Winston Justice could play LT while Adams is moved to the right side.

Jerry Jones said they won't pick an OT in the 1st, and Parcells isn't known for taking OTs in the 1st round...but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
it's 50/50

Jerry Jones said they won't pick an OT in the 1st, and Parcells isn't known for taking OTs in the 1st round...but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea
Quite frankly, the only OT that stood out to me is Ferguson and Colledge. I saw the rest get beaten alot.

neosapien23

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
it's 50/50

I agree with your assessment on taking McNeil in the 1st. (Not worth the 18th) But if a really good frachise tackle slipped, I think BP would pull the trigger. I think thats why they are interviewing tweeners that will be available in the 2nd. I think BP and Jerry are blowing smoke so teams won't trade in front of us if a really good LT tackle is there when we pick. Now if Lawson could slip into the 2nd, that would be a homerun draft.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I agree with your assessment on taking McNeil in the 1st. (Not worth the 18th) But if a really good frachise tackle slipped, I think BP would pull the trigger. I think thats why they are interviewing tweeners that will be available in the 2nd. I think BP and Jerry are blowing smoke so teams won't trade in front of us if a really good LT tackle is there when we pick. Now if Lawson could slip into the 2nd, that would be a homerun draft.
We may have to wait until Free Agency starts to get a feel for what the Cowboys will do.

If they sign Jeff Backus, then we can cross out RT, and if they sign Chris Hope or some other high profile FS Free agent, then you can cross that out as well.

I'm anxious to see what we do, and I'll give a better read on the draft.