Next man up doesn't work here

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think the depth has actually held up pretty well. Austin and Wilson are our #5 and #6 WRs when everyone is healthy, and they played well vs the Jets. They're not Cooper, but they both went 5/50ish and didn't make any mistakes aside from the iffy offensive PI call. And our #3 tackle Fleming is getting worked, but the #4 tackle Brandon Knight is playing better than any of us would have expected.

We have great depth at OL and WR. I'm not going to complain about Fleming, and Knight has been a miracle. And our true depth on the oline is in the interior, with Looney and SuaFilo.

If McGovern were healthy, which may(?) be soon, our backups may be better than some *starting* olines in the league.

At WR, we have *great* depth too. The problem Sunday was that we *sat* Smith, our one true wideout behind Gallup and Cooper, even while missing Cobb and his ability to credibly play lined up wide. Dak's QB rating when throwing to Smith is 137.5, higher than anyone but Cooper, and that's only by 1 point.

iRepDatStar

Reaction score
Wasn't Dak tony's backup?

Wasn't lve Sean Lee's backup?

Joe Looney.. sua filo
Argument can go both ways

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I saw these posts about all of this depth in the off season and wondered what some were seeing that I was missing. Depth is unknown until it is time for next man up.

Remember when none of our cuts were going to make it to the practice squad because other teams would sign them?

Good times.

kwcool619

Reaction score
We have great depth at OL and WR. I'm not going to complain about Fleming, and Knight has been a miracle. And our true depth on the oline is in the interior, with Looney and SuaFilo.

If McGovern were healthy, which may(?) be soon, our backups may be better than some *starting* olines in the league.

At WR, we have *great* depth too. The problem Sunday was that we *sat* Smith, our one true wideout behind Gallup and Cooper, even while missing Cobb and his ability to credibly play lined up wide. Dak's QB rating when throwing to Smith is 137.5, higher than anyone but Cooper, and that's only by 1 point.

Good point. We could have used Devin Smith's speed to counteract Robby Anderson (Jets). Both of them got serious wheels--both are 4.3. or 4.4 speed WRs

GenoT

Reaction score
Because they don't know the differences in the strengths and weaknesses between starters and backups. Because each player has their strengths and weaknesses, things should be adjusted to cover those weaknesses and play up to strengths. Garrett has NEVER embraced this. He insists that everyone play the same way to "beat their man." It's like he can't grasp that it doesn't work. His staff will not make those adjustments all that often. When they do, it's because they screwed up so much that they're on the hot seat.
Yep.

The Chaz Green “experiment” in 2017 underlines this.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
I think "Next Man Up" can work here. We don't have the coaching staff that can come up with with a gameplan that works when players go down. We've seen it time and time again here. Sean Lee goes down and we forget how to play defense. It's one player and Garrett and Co. don't now how to compensate.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
When are people gonna figure out the problem w/ this team is the defense...and it's coordinators? :popcorn:

GenoT

Reaction score
Ugh. Chaz Green. I still deep down believe that Dak has been spooked ever since that Atlanta game.
When you’re in your second season, and it’s not the magic carpet ride your rookie year was, and you’re missing your all-pro RB to suspension, and then the coaches decide to throw in a guinea pig to replace an all-pro LT...resulting in you suffering never-ending sacks...

Yeah...that might mess with a young QB’s psyche.

kwcool619

Reaction score
When you’re in your second season, and it’s not the magic carpet ride your rookie year was, and your coaches decide to throw in a guinea pig to replace an all-pro LT...resulting your suffering never-ending sacks...

Yeah...that might mess with a young QB’s psyche.

That is the word I was looking for--Psyche. Better than "spooked".

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
That catch phrase of "next man up" implies that the ship keeps on sailing even though a better sailor has been replaced with a lesser one. Didn't they try next man up in Atlanta with Chaz Green? Called the same plays with a mediocre LT replacing an All Pro one.

So, CC, what's your point? Glad you asked. My point is Moore is catching heat and some are going so far to say Garrett intervened in the strategy assuming injuries don't alter game plan strategy and in game injuries, in game tactics.

Do you honestly think this team has depth in the OL and WR? Depth that would allow them to go with the same O strategy they would with the starters? How many teams can lose both OT's, #1WR and slot WR? Didn't we see this offense without the WR1 last season? And that RT was the best OL of the starting 5. Add to this Yosemite is not 100% and Martin is obviously struggling with an injury(ies).

Now, add to this that 4 of those OL are in the top 6 paid at their position, how can they have quality depth? And that 5th OL hasn't come into form yet and the only reason is no longer getting picked on is because of the injuries to the other OL.

I saw these posts about all of this depth in the off season and wondered what some were seeing that I was missing. Depth is unknown until it is time for next man up.

The strength of this team, THE STRENGTH, is that OL. The run game is dependent on it and as well the time for the QB as well as the D to stay off the field. It is nuts to expect this team to play at the same level missing these players.

Our greatest concern going into this season should have been injuries, the one thing we know from the past is the toughest thing for this team to overcome. Just one starter out is a problem and now we see 2 OT's and WR's 1, 2 and 3.

All of those celebrating the re-signing of those OL and DE and RB, did you think there might not be a bigger price to pay? Too much to too few means poor depth.

Kellen Moore was going to have some bumps with a 100% healthy team and now he has this and is facing better DC's, like he just did in NY, and his playbook is condensed. What he wanted to do, he can no longer do because he now has to worry about backups making mistakes and getting penalties and hamstringing his offense.

I am not making excuses, injures are reasons and while some teams can overcome these injuries to their OL, they don't have 4 of the 5 in the top 6 paid. The Cowboys went all in on these starting OL and now we get to see the other teams' hole cards. The game has changed.
Poor player evaluation by the staff, falling for preseason crapp by the fans.

kskboys

Reaction score
Next man up only works with good coaching.
And quality backups.

Trey Flowers, Chandler Jones, Mayo, Chung, look at the talent the Pats have let walk. Makes for lesser starters, but also makes for a deep and talented rotation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak and this offense when missing key talents have been proven to struggle.

If we have less talent then we have lesser results.
This is elementary stuff.

We are a talent dependent franchise.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And quality backups.

Trey Flowers, Chandler Jones, Mayo, Chung, look at the talent the Pats have let walk. Makes for lesser starters, but also makes for a deep and talented rotation.
Yes sir!! Great point.