Next season smells like a disaster

Verdict

Reaction score
Brand new coaches. Now's probably a good time to change course with this roster, too.

It's ugly around here right now.

Cooper looks like a bad signing waiting to happen. Some teams are going to overpay for Byron Jones and Anthony Brown. Zeke looks noticeably slower and aging fast. Jaylon's contract was a woeful mistake. Quinn is probably gone. LVE looks like he's not long for the football world. Byron and Zack have back issues, which seldom get better. Frederick is still recovering from something only Vulcan's can pronounce. Dak isn't worth more than $25 million per year, if that. Safety and defensive tackle are still gaping holes. Tight end remains a big question. We don't even have a reliable punter and kicker.

Now, enter Jerry's band of re-tread coaches. Now at 20 and counting. Are we going to hire a left guard coach next? Do any of them know magic?

Next year smells bad. Like 7-9 bad. Even worse, the roster looks to be regressing and aging rapidly. The window may have already closed on this bunch.

So what now? Scheme can't fix this as much as some want. It's highly unlikely that there's a bag of plays and coverages that will fix what we witnessed last year. This team needs players, different ones, and a lot of them.

Or, somehow this franchise needs to start stockpiling picks and devise a way to build the next contender. You have to be aggressive because these days, rebuilds are three-year projects, not five. Free agency won't allow anything longer.

Yet, the Cowboys keep trying to play the middle. Not aggressive in free agency, and not aggressive in rebuilding. Just treading water.

There is no easy answer here. The Cowboys are between the rock and the proverbial hard place. Do they suffer the PR hit of deconstruction, or do they press on and dump untold millions on the likes of Dak, Cooper, Jones, Quinn, and the very necessary other free agents to make this work? They should choose the former, though they'll likely choose the latter. Jerry's days are dwindling.

We just witnessed perhaps the ugliest season in Cowboys history. Subtract the Rams game, and what exactly happened? They lost the most winnable NFC East in history. They basically blew bunny layups all year long after a 3-0 start.

It ain't good.

I am much more optimistic than you are but I will have to say that your version of the future could be a realistic possibility.

I don’t think we can let Dak go (whether we overpay or not). At worst he is a good bus driver. At best he’s top 5. IDK which. We have seen signs of both. I would draft a QB reasonably high with potential if the opportunity presents itsself.

While I am more optimistic than you I would NOT go all in on free agency. No way in hell.

I would try to sign Cooper, Byron and Quinn to reasonable contracts. If not I let them go. No way I pay all 3. If you pay one, pick ONE and one only.

I might pay Byron instead of Cooper only because Byron will be cheaper than Cooper, and Cooper has more trade value. You could let Cooper walk and draft Lamb at #17 at a lot less money.

The Tank contract is an albatross. I would make it a priority to get a big ole trash can of dirt in the middle of the DL and I wouldn’t care if he can run fast or not. Make him eat double teams and stop the run.

I would go BPA all the way and get cheap cast offs after the draft after the big FA dollars dry up.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Thats ok if this team fails. They deser
Brand new coaches. Now's probably a good time to change course with this roster, too.

Cooper looks like a bad signing waiting to happen. Some teams are going to overpay for Byron Jones and Anthony Brown. Zeke looks noticeably slower and aging fast. Jaylon's contract was a woeful mistake. Quinn is probably gone. LVE looks like he's not long for the football world. Byron and Zack have back issues, which seldom get better. Frederick is still recovering from something only Vulcan's can pronounce. Dak isn't worth more than $25 million per year, if that. Safety and defensive tackle are still gaping holes. Tight end remains a big question. We don't even have a reliable punter and kicker.

Now, enter Jerry's band of re-tread coaches. Now at 20 and counting. Are we going to hire a left guard coach next? Do any of them know magic?

Next year smells bad. Like 7-9 bad. Even worse, the roster looks to be regressing and aging rapidly. The window may have already closed on this bunch.

So what now? Scheme can't fix this as much as some want. It's highly unlikely that there's a bag of plays and coverages that will fix what we witnessed last year. This team needs players, different ones, and a lot of them.

Or, somehow this franchise needs to start stockpiling picks and devise a way to build the next contender. You have to be aggressive because these days, rebuilds are three-year projects, not five. Free agency won't allow anything longer.

Yet, the Cowboys keep trying to play the middle. Not aggressive in free agency, and not aggressive in rebuilding. Just treading water.

There is no easy answer here. The Cowboys are between the rock and the proverbial hard place. Do they suffer the PR hit of deconstruction, or do they press on and dump untold millions on the likes of Dak, Cooper, Jones, Quinn, and the very necessary other free agents to make this work? They should choose the former, though they'll likely choose the latter. Jerry's days are dwindling.

We just witnessed perhaps the ugliest season in Cowboys history. Subtract the Rams game, and what exactly happened? They lost the most winnable NFC East in history. They basically blew bunny layups all year long after a 3-0 start.

It ain't good.
Everything Jerry is doing is based on building the team around Dak. He needs the best talent around him to succeed and now he has hired an offensive minded coach. When this train derails the last person to be blamed will be Dak.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I really like this place.

They are making it really hard lately. After the contract it may get worse. There is clearly and infatuation and obsession.

I wonder why? Love for Romo? Hell, I loved the guy too. But he’s been gone. I can’t figure out what else it could be.
Yeah wait until Dak gets his deal.......I was hoping it would run some of these people off but I think it’s gonna make it worse around here

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Thats ok if this team fails. They deser

Everything Jerry is doing is based on building the team around Dak. He needs the best talent around him to succeed and now he has hired an offensive minded coach. When this train derails the last person to be blamed will be Dak.
Lol and you have a picture of Lawrence, who couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn in the playoffs this year. Dude made Dak look like Aikman in terms of accuracy. Hopefully you don’t want to draft that inaccurate QB.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

It ain't good.

there is some concern.

they blew up the offense with all the new coaches. (Why mess with the OL???)

Nolan has a terrible record.

I like some of the D hires though. Edwards and Tomsula are excellent.

let’s hope Edwards has a say in things.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I don't see it that way.

Our oldest offensive lineman will be 30, and it's their best one in Martin.

Zeke will be 25, Dak 27(IIRC), Cooper 26 etc...
LVE(if healthy is 24, Smith 25, Lawrence 28 and so on.

Our core, you can debate the quality of it, is still quite young. I don't see a rapidly aging roster.

I can see a Wade Phillips style "rebound". New voices in this case, from Head to assistants could provide a positive spark. Especially now that's there's not 2+ voices on defense.

we have a 2-4 year window.

Dak, Zeke and OL will need replaced then.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Erod or Eeyore.......... too close to call

Id-Look-On-The-Bright-Side.png

John813

Reaction score
we have a 2-4 year window.

Dak, Zeke and OL will need replaced then.

Zeke and the O-line I agree with. Dak, could play at the same level into his 30's granted he doesn't turn into Romo 2.0 where he sacrifices his body on almost every passing play to find a receiver that finally breaks free.

Unless you mean due to probable cap hits for QB's in the next 4 years. Or the team just sucks lol.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They are making it really hard lately. After the contract it may get worse. There is clearly and infatuation and obsession.

I wonder why? Love for Romo? Hell, I loved the guy too. But he’s been gone. I can’t figure out what else it could be.
One of my best friends has season tickets to the Cowboys games, has for years. Goes to every game, even though its about 550 miles away from South Padre Island. I've been trying to get him to join the zone. He refuses. Says there's too much negativity. What a wuss!!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The most important change that has to occur is for the players to view MM as the key holder to their future on the team. An undermined coach in an ineffective coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This season was a disaster.

The last couple decades have been pretty much a disaster.

Good chance the disaster continues on the most part.

shabazz

Reaction score

Oh, I don't know either. Could it be because of only mustering 10 or less points in 3 games including the offensive disaster against the Eagles for the Division title?... or merely beating just 1 team with a winning record not named the Eagles. This guy goes AWOL in big games and is clearly elevated in the minds of the infatuated and obsessed.. Mediocrity personified

Why hasn't Jerry caved in and broke the bank for Dakota already?.........please tell us

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

It ain't good.
well, I am already giving up on next season then. there is no hope. and I think 7-9 is a little too optimistic based on your post. 6-10 is best and probably 5-11. well at least there is draft 2021 to look for and get excited about...

what's your thoughts on the next coach of the cowboys? should we put a list together already?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

It ain't good.
You could ruin a lap dance from the hottest jawn in the place while she butt naked