Next Tournament Idea Thread (Balloting Has Ended)

Chose 4 Movie Genres OR Movie Pair Ups OR Franchise Series (read post #111 before voting)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone ever see The Entity with Barbara Hershey? It came out in the early 80's. I thought about adding it to my horror list but there were several movies between it and the ones I did post in my opinion. Will not get into any details about it (not really CowboysZone family friendly) but it is a good-not-great low budget movie that is underrated and not well-known.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My last comment of the night (turning the lights out):

There is one Action/Adventure title I really REALLY wanted to add to my ballot list but I could not justify it in my mind.

Escape From New York

Cult classic that should really be considered simply a classic. Plus it had Adrienne Barbeau. :starspin::starspin::starspin:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yep. He was in the one I was thinking of that one @Runwildboys corrected me. He played the angel Gabriel trying to bring Hell on earth. Walken makes that movie better than it really is.
Agreed. The concept was good, but the writing not so much. Walken was......Walken, and played the jealous angel about as well as anyone could.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wow.
logo's.
show-off.

you couldn't just list'm could'ya.
just had to add that xtra touch to make our lists look like complete trash.
:muttley: No one said anything about the pics I used for my list in the Celebrity Tournament. :grin: I know you are joking but I just like doing it that way.

The logos allowed me to reminisce about each movie a bit more also. They helped me gauge whether I appreciated a movie more or less than another film.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nice call on close encounters tho:thumbup:
Thanks. I thought Steven Spielberg could do no wrong in the 1970's after directing Jaws and even the television movie Duel.

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind blew me away. Richard Dreyfus was perfectly cast. Spielberg creates an atmosphere and squats you smack dab right into the middle of it. It is all fake but I still think of those UFOs he littered throughout the movie as real.

1941 was a dud. However, George Lucas and he followed up with Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Raiders was a masterpiece to me, despite anything Miss Amy Farrah Fowler says. :muttley:

Eventually he directed E.T. and temporarily disappointed me. I am not an E.T. fan. Not a long story and a trivial one for anyone else probably. "E.T... phone... home..." Who cares? I could punt your watermelon E.T. head back to E.T. Planet if given the opportunity. [end mini-rant]

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Horror to me must contain a creature/monster/serial killer with super human powers like survival. Movies like Ex Machina, THX 1138, 2001 and the Star Trek films are Sci Fi.

It is my fault the Horror/Sci Fi category is together as I failed to take into consideration the "Nerd Effect" within our little forum.

I am sorry I ever brought this up because I can't rank my movies and never have been able to, I think it terms of genre and do not compare across genres but thought a showdown better genres might be fun and I fall back on my stock answer to my parents growing up, "it looked like fun at the time".

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The movie had one of the best soundtracks of all-time, without doubt.

Edit: LOL! This. Is. Fantastic!

Ennio Morricone could do no wrong and that film was proof of the marriage of film and music creating synergy. I thought he couldn't do any better than that and then he does "The Untouchables", another masterpiece.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Thanks. I thought Steven Spielberg could do no wrong in the 1970's after directing Jaws and even the television movie Duel.

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind blew me away. Richard Dreyfus was perfectly cast. Spielberg creates an atmosphere and squats you smack dab right into the middle of it. It is all fake but I still think of those UFOs he littered throughout the movie as real.

1941 was a dud. However, George Lucas and he followed up with Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Raiders was a masterpiece to me, despite anything Miss Amy Farrah Fowler says. :muttley:

Eventually he directed E.T. and temporarily disappointed me. I am not an E.T. fan. Not a long story and a trivial one for anyone else probably. "E.T... phone... home..." Who cares? I could punt your watermelon E.T. head back to E.T. Planet if given the opportunity. [end mini-rant]
he was just over half way filming when he had the idea of what would become ET....it was the final scene when the alien appears.
if you look close...you can see it does look like ET.

in one of the close up scenes of the mothership....as it begins to approach devils tower.....camera zooms in.....if you slow it down you will see a r2d2 they stuck on the massive ufo.

as a conspiracy theory guy....i've been fascinated by the stories spielberg got phone calls in the middle of the night telling him he doesnt know how right he is......and the strange black triangle insignia on flags,on the folders passed around at the meeting where they first play the musical notes and on the astronaut type suits they are wearing when the exchange is made with the aliens.

richard dreyfus started working on spielberg about being picked for that role....during the filming of jaws.
originally spielberg wanted Steve McQueen...but McQueen turned it down saying he couldn't "cry".....not that he wouldnt....he said he could never get to the place as an actor to do it.
spielberg told him he didnt have to...McQueen said he thought it would make the character more real and that he seemed like a crier.
ultimately....dreyfus got the role.
he was AWESOME in it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Horror to me must contain a creature/monster/serial killer with super human powers like survival. Movies like Ex Machina, THX 1138, 2001 and the Star Trek films are Sci Fi.

It is my fault the Horror/Sci Fi category is together as I failed to take into consideration the "Nerd Effect" within our little forum.

I am sorry I ever brought this up because I can't rank my movies and never have been able to, I think it terms of genre and do not compare across genres but thought a showdown better genres might be fun and I fall back on my stock answer to my parents growing up, "it looked like fun at the time".
That is too bad. The more the merrier I say.

You can always vote in the upcoming bracket tournament. And be sure to check for the next NEXT idea tournament thread afterwards. :)

cowboyec

Reaction score
i thought sci fi/horror meant sci fi movie or horror movie.
oh well.
im really excited 'bout this'n here.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
Anyone ever see The Entity with Barbara Hershey? It came out in the early 80's. I thought about adding it to my horror list but there were several movies between it and the ones I did post in my opinion. Will not get into any details about it (not really CowboysZone family friendly) but it is a good-not-great low budget movie that is underrated and not well-known.

The invisible force that kept "bothering" that lady? I haven't thought of that film in ages. Very creepy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is too bad. The more the merrier I say.

You can always vote in the upcoming bracket tournament. And be sure to check for the next NEXT idea tournament thread afterwards. :)
Oh, I will submit my list and it will be the envy of the forum. Posters will think 'damn, must be heaven to be in a darkened theater with him'.

Status
Not open for further replies.