Next Tournament Idea Thread (Balloting Has Ended)

Chose 4 Movie Genres OR Movie Pair Ups OR Franchise Series (read post #111 before voting)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DFWJC

Reaction score
  1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Sci Fi)
  2. Alien (Horror/SciFi)
  3. The Shining (Horror)
  4. Unforgiven (Western)
  5. The Outlaw Josey Wales (Western)
  6. Terminator (Action? SciFi?)
  7. Terminator 2 (Action? SciFi?)
  8. Star Wars (Action/Adventure)
  9. The Exorcist (Horror)
  10. Planet of the Apes (Action/Adventure)
  11. Jaws (Horror/SciFi)
  12. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Western)
  13. Psycho (Horror/SciFi)
  14. Enter the Dragon (Action/Adventure)
  15. The Magnificant Seven (Western)
  16. Die Hard (Action/Adventure)
  17. Caddyshack (Comedy)
  18. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Western)
  19. Airplane (Comedy)
  20. Happy Gilmore (Comedy)
  21. Tombstone (Western)
  22. The Dark Knight (Action/Adventure)
  23. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Action/Adventure)
  24. The Wild Bunch (Western)
  25. True Grit (Western)
  26. Blazing Saddles (Comedy)
  27. Rosemary's Baby (Horror/SciFi)
  28. Blade Runner (Action/Adventure)
  29. Old School (Comedy)
  30. The Blue Brothers (Comedy)
  31. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Comedy)
  32. American Pie (Comedy)

Probably a bit sloppy in the ratings, but that's all the time I have right now.
Plus, the Action/Horror/SciFi really messed me up. Trying to fit 8 into each of the 4 main categories was tough.

Last edited:

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
  1. 2001: A Space OdysseyThe Shining (Sci Fi)
  2. Alien (Horror/SciFi)
  3. The Shining (Horror)
  4. Unforgiven (Western)
  5. The Outlaw Josey Wales (Western)
  6. Terminator (Action? SciFi?)
  7. Terminator 2 (Action? SciFi?)
  8. Star Wars (Action/Adventure)
  9. The Exorcist (Horror)
  10. Planet of the Apes (Action/Adventure)
  11. Jaws (Horror/SciFi)
  12. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Western)
  13. Psycho (Horror/SciFi)
  14. Enter the Dragon (Action/Adventure)
  15. The Magnificant Seven (Western)
  16. Die Hard (Action/Adventure)
  17. Caddyshack (Comedy)
  18. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Western)
  19. Airplane (Comedy)
  20. Happy Gilmore (Comedy)
  21. Tombstone (Western)
  22. The Dark Knight (Action/Adventure)
  23. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Action/Adventure)
  24. The Wild Bunch (Western)
  25. True Grit (Western)
  26. Blazing Saddles (Comedy)
  27. Rosemary's Baby (Horror/SciFi)
  28. Blade Runner (Action/Adventure)
  29. Old School (Comedy)
  30. The Blue Brothers (Comedy)
  31. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Comedy)
  32. American Pie (Comedy)
Probably a bit sloppy in the ratings, but that's all the time I have right now.
Plus, the Action/Horror/SciFi really messed me up. Trying to fit 8 into each of the 4 main categories was tough.

You have two movies at #1 :laugh:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, not trying to be difficult here but why not have 1-8 in each of the 4 categories? The ranking will come after all are in the showdown with each other.

I can list my favorites in each category easier than raking them overall. Hell, my top 10 movies changes on a weekly basis.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, not trying to be difficult here but why not have 1-8 in each of the 4 categories? The ranking will come after all are in the showdown with each other.

I can list my favorites in each category easier than raking them overall. Hell, my top 10 movies changes on a weekly basis.
Trust me. You are not being difficult. :) @Runwildboys and I had a previous side convo that is similar to your question/observation:
I actually meant instead of raking 1-32, ranking 4 brackets of 8. But hey, you're the one doing all the work! lol
I kinda figured that and believe you are not the only one thinking that. However, I want to lessen as many variables of films have equal sum totals during the balloting process. Movies having the same rank in different brackets would increase those opportunities, so I am not in favor of it.
This may not be a satisfactory explanation for any members reading it but it should help anyone understand my thinking and approach. I hope. :p

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My revised list, color coded for your convenience:

01. Avengers - Action/Adventure (32 points)
02. Braveheart - Action/Adventure (31 points)
03. Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Comedy (30 points)
04. Tommy Boy - Comedy (29 points)
05. Aliens - Horror (28 points)
06. Silence of the Lambs - Horror(27 points)
07. Avengers: Endgame - Action/Adventure (26 points)
08. The Boondock Saints - Action/Adventure(25 points)
09. The Heat - Comedy (24 points)
10. Crazy People - Comedy (23 points)
11. The Matrix - Action/Adventure (22 points)
12. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Action/Adventure (21 points)
13. True Grit (Original) - Western (20 points)
14. Tombstone - Western (19 points)
15. The Cowboys - Western (18 points)
16. Avatar - Action/Adventure (17 points)
17. Ghostbusters - Comedy (16 points)
18. Die Hard - Action/Adventure (15 points)
19. The Shining - Horror (14 points)
20. Stripes - Comedy (13 points)
21. Airplane! - Comedy (12 points)
22. Who's Harry Crumb? - Comedy (11 points)
23. Unforgiven - Western (10 points)
24. Quigley Down Under - Western (09 points)
25. Alien - Horror (08 points)
26. Wrong Turn - Horror (07 points)
27. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Western (06 points)
28. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - Horror (05 points)
29. The Fly (1986) - Horror (04 points)
30. Silverado - Western (03 points)
31. Bad Girls - Western (02 points)
32. The Exorcist - Horror (01 point_)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rant time.

This is even tougher than I first thought it would be. What I am about to say completely applies to my constructing a ballot list for myself but slightly pertains to what may eventually decide at least some tiebreakers between films in the near future.

I picked 32 films, eight movies for each genre. Or I should say, what ***I*** think is a correct genre for each movie.

To offset any expected nitpicking by other members and because I can honestly be a butt-hole about my own stuff, I am using IMDB.com's genre description for each movie on my ballot. It is not the only site for such info but I decided it is good enough to get the job done.

Understandably, a lot of movies do not fit under a single genre umbrella. For that reason, I am okay with a movie's genre not being solely:
  • JUST Western
  • JUST Comedy
  • JUST Horror
  • JUST Science Fiction
  • JUST Action
  • JUST Adventure
If IMDB states a movie has more than one genre and one of those genre matches one of the four categories chosen by the poll, I am picking it for a single genre included with the four chosen for the tournament. Aliens is a perfect example.

IMDB describes Aliens (<--link) as Action, Adventure (and steel yourself @Runwildboys :) ) Science Fiction. I have always been wishy-washy about classifying Aliens as Horror but I did it anyway for my preliminary list. Now I have scrubbed it for my initial eight Horror/Science Fiction sub-list but might sneak it into the Action/Adventure category (I left that one for last during my genre confirmation process). Who knows? We'll see. Well I will before anyone else does. :p

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Rant time.

This is even tougher than I first thought it would be. What I am about to say completely applies to my constructing a ballot list for myself but slightly pertains to what may eventually decide at least some tiebreakers between films in the near future.

I picked 32 films, eight movies for each genre. Or I should say, what ***I*** think is a correct genre for each movie.

To offset any expected nitpicking by other members and because I can honestly be a butt-hole about my own stuff, I am using IMDB.com's genre description for each movie on my ballot. It is not the only site for such info but I decided it is good enough to get the job done.

Understandably, a lot of movies do not fit under a single genre umbrella. For that reason, I am okay with a movie's genre not being solely:
  • JUST Western
  • JUST Comedy
  • JUST Horror
  • JUST Science Fiction
  • JUST Action
  • JUST Adventure
If IMDB states a movie has more than one genre and one of those genre matches one of the four categories chosen by the poll, I am picking it for a single genre included with the four chosen for the tournament. Aliens is a perfect example.

IMDB describes Aliens (<--link) as Action, Adventure (and steel yourself @Runwildboys :) ) Science Fiction. I have always been wishy-washy about classifying Aliens as Horror but I did it anyway for my preliminary list. Now I have scrubbed it for my initial eight Horror/Science Fiction sub-list but might sneak it into the Action/Adventure category (I left that one for last during my genre confirmation process). Who knows? We'll see. Well I will before anyone else does. :p
I can see it for Action/Adventure, and Sci Fi (because there are labs in the ship {I believe it's actually a science vessel} where they're experimenting, and trying to cross breed the aliens)...(or is that the 3rd one?), but how can one not think of it as Horror? I don't think any movie has ever scared me as much as that one did. You've got the face huggers, which clamp onto the victim's face, implanting its egg in the human host, then the thing eats its way out of the person and starts attacking anyone in the area! They grow to full size very quickly, have acid for blood, and attack anyone in the area! They have no eyes, which is super creepy, and means they have other senses they use to attack anyone in the area! They use some type of weird gook to hold some of their victims, so they can watch the pods hatch face huggers, and remain helplessly paralyzed while the face huggers implant their eggs, which will eventually eat their way out of..........Well, you know where this is leading. Sorry man, that's way more horrifying than any guy with a chainsaw.

cowboyec

Reaction score
it was hard eliminating some of my favorites...but anything worthwhile should be tough.
im really looking forward to this tourney....i sacrificed The Defiant Ones and Rambo II for this.
:flagwave::flagwave::flagwave::flagwave::flagwave::flagwave:

cowboyec

Reaction score
every list so far submitted includes the greatest western ever...
:flagwave:THE GOOD,THE BAD & THE UGLY:flagwave:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
6MY01TR.png

01 Avengers Infinity War (2018), Action/Adventure

shbKCFv.png

02 Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Action/Adventure

so58KvU.png

03 Captain America The Winter Soldier (2014), Action/Adventure

a4Zr3MS.png

04 Avatar (2009), Action/Adventure

D1xZW89.png

05 Black Panther (2018), Action/Adventure

h0YIpq6.png

06 Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), Action/Adventure

CdQ00AH.png

07 The Dark Knight (2008), ACTION/Adventure

IHEPgCE.png

08 Aliens (1986), Horror/SCIENCE FICTION

r9bK3ms.png

09 The Exorcist (1973), HORROR/Science Fiction

Z3eR0Ft.png

10 John Carpenter's The Thing (1982), HORROR/Science Fiction

2p8p2Tm.png

11 The Lord Of The Rings The Two Towers (2002), Action/ADVENTURE

ShgCTQA.png

12 Terminator 2 Judgment Day (1991), Horror/SCIENCE FICTION

aFbHYfY.png

13 Shrek (2001), Comedy

6NNTqbc.png

14 The Good The Bad And The Ugly (1966), Western

nVRFGXY.png

15 Alien (1979), HORROR/Science Fiction

ku3zk3S.png

16 The Wild Bunch (1969), Western

bTHNPrJ.png

17 Ghostbusters (1984), Comedy

Hw9sqbh.png

18 Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (1977), Horror/SCIENCE FICTION

jUc6rxN.png

19 Coming To America (1988), Comedy

hyhwCu6.png

20 High Noon (1952), Western

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3u4XpaJ.png

21 Trading Places (1983), Comedy

8hSYVnH.png

22 True Grit (1969), Western

vIyuxDv.png

23 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), Horror/SCIENCE FICTION

GpXpZBN.png

24 The Magnificent Seven (1960), Western

vsUr8zQ.png

25 Django Unchained (2012), Western

engLAku.png

26 Kung ** Hustle (2004), Comedy

QZtkONi.png

27 Young Frankenstein (1974), Comedy

wfGLgm4.png

28 The Outlaw Josey Wales (1969), Western

pP2NFZY.png

29 Angel Heart (1987), HORROR/Science Fiction

PFQEtu9.png

30 Friday (2012), Comedy

8KnQ8xq.png

31 Unforgiven (1992), Western

l1cZp8v.png

32 The Blues Brothers (1980), Comedy

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A personal note that only my brain can process.

IF IMBD had listed Aliens as Horror, my order from eight through 10 would have been:

The Exorcist
John Carpenter's The Thing
Aliens
It is a combination of Sigourney Weaver's performance and the film being considered as Science Fiction that puts Aliens ahead of the other two.

Do not try understanding why I think that way. My mind's warped. :laugh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Umm.. Why is horror and Science Fiction combined? Star Trek isn't Horror damnit. Get your **** together![/QUOT
If James Tiberius Kirk and Yosemite Sam got into a gunfight, I must be honest. My money's on Kirk

hehe!

cowboyec

Reaction score
i don't know if it will make the final cut but i'll contend with my last breath that the original day the earth stood still is the grestest sci-fi movie ever made.
and i miss black and white film in movies....it was an art form.
there are scenes in that film that uses darkness and shadows almost like they were other characters.
:starspin:
KLATU.
BARADA.
NIKTO.
:starspin:

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hope Star Wars doesn’t get left out due to Empire Strikes back or Aliens because of Alien. Same goes for Raiders of the Lost Ark/Temple of Doom. I think any movie in a franchise should be combined under the first movie :thumbup:

For example,, any SW movie will all be considered just Star Wars :grin:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can see it for Action/Adventure, and Sci Fi (because there are labs in the ship {I believe it's actually a science vessel} where they're experimenting, and trying to cross breed the aliens)...(or is that the 3rd one?),
My recollection could be wrong but I think the 'real' Bishop hinted to experimentation at the end of Alien 3 and actual experimentation occurred in Alien Resurrection. 'The Company' wanted to get their hands on the creatures since the original Alien though.
but how can one not think of it as Horror? I don't think any movie has ever scared me as much as that one did. You've got the face huggers, which clamp onto the victim's face, implanting its egg in the human host, then the thing eats its way out of the person and starts attacking anyone in the area! They grow to full size very quickly, have acid for blood, and attack anyone in the area! They have no eyes, which is super creepy, and means they have other senses they use to attack anyone in the area! They use some type of weird gook to hold some of their victims, so they can watch the pods hatch face huggers, and remain helplessly paralyzed while the face huggers implant their eggs, which will eventually eat their way out of..........Well, you know where this is leading. Sorry man, that's way more horrifying than any guy with a chainsaw.
I can only speak for myself but horror for me is not just visual but most psychological. The best ones 'convince' me that the story being told could be real under the right circumstances.

Now that I think about it some more, it is likely I would have ranked Aliens below Alien if I were forced to consider both as Horror. The original movie had a group of people in a small enclosed space IN space. The enclosed space had so many hiding places for a completely unknown entity to stalk its prey. What would ordinary people do in that situation? They were not even trained soldiers like those in the sequel. My mind is racing about all the different terrifying ways these people would suffer at the hands of the creature.

On the other hand, my heart raced more than my mind with Aliens. For me, I have always leaned towards labeling the movie as a Thriller/Suspense despite its action. The visuals are awesome (classic James Cameron). Even so, visuals are what occupy my eyes. It is the what ifs that grip my mind. That is what Horror means for me.

Slightly related note: Here is an example of how my mind works. This happened the first time I saw John Carpenter's The Thing and I have often repeated the same thing every time I have seen the movie since then.

The fire and light slowly die while watching MacReady and Childs' scene fade to black. All I am left with is the ominous music (superb soundtrack!) playing as the credits start to roll. The FIRST thing that always comes to my mind is that one particular scene at the BEGINNING of the movie. I say to myself the same thing every time...

"The guy in the helicopter was shooting that dog. Every. <Expletive>. Shot."

Why? Even though I know it is complete fiction, the movie and its story is believable to me. And I am left wondering, every time, what would I have done in every situation throughout the movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.