Next Tournament Idea Thread (Balloting Has Ended)

Chose 4 Movie Genres OR Movie Pair Ups OR Franchise Series (read post #111 before voting)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we do Movies, I like the idea of dividing it into separate genre and then having a faceoff for the GOAT. Categories to consider could be Action/Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Holiday, Horror/Sci Fi, Military/War, Sports and Western.
Hmm.

Each member's ballot list will have a maximum of 32 suggestions. You have named eight categories. 32 ÷ 8 = 4.

If the movie idea wins, I would propose participating members submit their ballot list with four movies from each of the eight categories in whatever order they chose. There is one thing to consider. Each ballot choice has a descending point value, starting with 32 points for the first choice and ending with 1 point for the 32nd choice.

Members should make that a strong consideration while composing their ballot list, especially if they have a higher opinion of one category but possibly an even higher opinion of a particular film in ANOTHER category. The total amount of points assigned to a particular film makes a lot of difference when everyone's ballot lists are tallied up together.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Hmm.

Each member's ballot list will have a maximum of 32 suggestions. You have named eight categories. 32 ÷ 8 = 4.

If the movie idea wins, I would propose participating members submit their ballot list with four movies from each of the eight categories in whatever order they chose. There is one thing to consider. Each ballot choice has a descending point value, starting with 32 points for the first choice and ending with 1 point for the 32nd choice.

Members should make that a strong consideration while composing their ballot list, especially if they have a higher opinion of one category but possibly an even higher opinion of a particular film in ANOTHER category. The total amount of points assigned to a particular film makes a lot of difference when everyone's ballot lists are tallied up together.
or let people vote on the genre's that will make up the bracket regions....top 4 genres will square off.
we list our top 8 in each.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hmm.

And they will have to choose the genre. For instance, Aliens is both Horror/Sci but it is also Action/Adventure as is Jaws. You would need to set a guideline how to categorize those tweener movies.

If this works, we could take the same application for bands and songs, era or genre.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Answer is a silver dollar. Borrowed mine from a guy named Harvey Dent. I will return it to him soon though. The guy has a murderous split personality you would NOT believe!
Don't trust that guy. You know what they say about him!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hmm.

I think @Tabascocat 's idea of trilogy or greater would be different that all the "Favorite Movie" threads of the past...and you probably wouldn't need to separate by genre.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If we do movies, wouldn’t franchise be the same as pair ups? I mean, they will be in a bracket anyways :huh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
or let people vote on the genre's that will make up the bracket regions....top 4 genres will square off.
we list our top 8 in each.
Multiple choice eh? I have already stated something similar with a one choice option:
The idea getting the most votes in the poll will create the next balloting phase UNLESS Hottest Female, Movies or Songs nets the most votes. If so, a follow-up poll will decide which of the sub-topics belonging to those three categories will be the idea chosen and the balloting phase will proceed afterwards.
Changing the follow-up poll from one choice to multiple choice is doable. Plus, it does not tack another necessary poll before the balloting phase. I am okay with it but would like more members to comment on the suggestion first.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Multiple choice eh? I have already stated something similar with a one choice option:

Changing the follow-up poll from one choice to multiple choice is doable. Plus, it does not tack another necessary poll before the balloting phase. I am okay with it but would like more members to comment on the suggestion first.
I don't know. Another advantage to the "Trilogy or Greater" competition is that it omits any Elvis movies.
:muttley::laugh::lmao2::lmao:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And they will have to choose the genre. For instance, Aliens is both Horror/Sci but it is also Action/Adventure as is Jaws. You would need to set a guideline how to categorize those tweener movies.

If this works, we could take the same application for bands and songs, era or genre.
Not certain that should be the guideline. While each member may have their own definition (right or wrong) about the particular category that a film actually belongs, any movie would still have it's own single individual title that would be assigned points regardless of a certain genre. For example:

Member A Ballot (considers Aliens as Horror)

1.Bambi (32 points)
2.Ben Hur (31 points)
3.The Sound of Music (30 points)
4.Aliens (29 points)

Member B Ballot (considers Aliens as Science Fiction)

1. Rain Man (32 points)
2. Gandhi (31 points)
3. Chinatown (30 points)
4. Gaslight (29 points)
5. It Happened One Night (28 points)
6. The Sons of Katie Elder (27 points)
7. Rocky (26 points)
8. Aliens (25 points)

Add both ballot lists together and Aliens' combined point value is 54 points. The films with the highest point values 1 though 32 will make the bracket.

Each of the eight categories would have four slots (or eight slots for four categories as proposed by @cowboyec). If a tweener does not have the points necessary for one category but does have enough for the other category, it would be beneficial to the category that does not have enough films for a full four or eight films respectively. Just my opinion.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we do movies, wouldn’t franchise be the same as pair ups? I mean, they will be in a bracket anyways :huh:
My definition of pair up (comparison would be a better term I guess) is one film versus another film. Film sites pair up individual movie versus individual movie OR franchise versus franchise and compare relative box office, etc. The format is perfect for a bracket type contest where individuals or teams face off against one another, with the winner advancing to the next round.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My definition of pair up (comparison would be a better term I guess) is one film versus another film. Film sites pair up individual movie versus individual movie OR franchise versus franchise and compare relative box office, etc. The format is perfect for a bracket type contest where individuals or teams face off against one another, with the winner advancing to the next round.

I get that, but......

In your words:

(f) franchise pair-ups
(g) franchise series

For example(both movies are franchises), option f would be Rambo vs Rocky whereas for g it would be Rambo vs Rocky. There is no difference because both options are franchises(series) as both would be matched up.

I would change (f) to movie match-ups( or pair-ups) and leave out the franchise part :thumbup:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not certain that should be the guideline. While each member may have their own definition (right or wrong) about the particular category that a film actually belongs, any movie would still have it's own single individual title that would be assigned points regardless of a certain genre. For example:

Member A Ballot (considers Aliens as Horror)

1.Bambi (32 points)
2.Ben Hur (31 points)
3.The Sound of Music (30 points)
4.Aliens (29 points)

Member B Ballot (considers Aliens as Science Fiction)

1. Rain Man (32 points)
2. Gandhi (31 points)
3. Chinatown (30 points)
4. Gaslight (29 points)
5. It Happened One Night (28 points)
6. The Sons of Katie Elder (27 points)
7. Rocky (26 points)
8. Aliens (25 points)

Add both ballot lists together and Aliens' combined point value is 54 points. The films with the highest point values 1 though 32 will make the bracket.

Each of the eight categories would have four slots (or eight slots for four categories as proposed by @cowboyec). If a tweener does not have the points necessary for one category but does have enough for the other category, it would be beneficial to the category that does not have enough films for a full four or eight films respectively. Just my opinion.
Member A shouldn't even be allowed to read this thread. What horrible taste!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get that, but......

In your words:

(f) franchise pair-ups
(g) franchise series

For example(both movies are franchises), option f would be Rambo vs Rocky whereas for g it would be Rambo vs Rocky. There is no difference because both options are franchises(series) as both would be matched up.

I would change (f) to movie match-ups( or pair-ups) and leave out the franchise part :thumbup:
That is okay. I may do so later. Right now real work is rearing its ugly head. Check back in later.

Status
Not open for further replies.