NFC contenders vs winning teams

75boyz

Reaction score
It’s been a problem for years. Many here pretend it isn’t.
Yep, absolutely. This is who we are. Ain't nothing changed.

It is exactly why most people say Dallas's ceiling is a one win playoff team.

They usually lose to playoff level competition.
Winning 3-4 consecutive playoff games sounds delusional based on recent history.

Last edited:

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
I think I would closely examine the coin....and see if there was some reason other than random occurrence that one outcome seemed to happen more than the other.

If you fought Mike Tyson twice....and he beat you into a comma twice....would you think the next two bouts with him would likely go your way, because of the whole coin flip logic?

Hmmmmmmm
The best NFL team is not peak Mike Tyson and the worst NFL team isn't one of us. Your analogy exaggerates the reality of the possibility of a surprising outcome.
Also, getting beaten into a comma is preferable to being beaten into a hyphen.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
The only winning teams the Cowboys have played are SF and Philly, possibly the two best teams in the NFL on the road. The obviously got waxed by SF but played Philly close. I think it’s too early to tell what this team will ultimately become. Let’s see how they fare against their upcoming tougher stretch.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
The best NFL team is not peak Mike Tyson and the worst NFL team isn't one of us. Your analogy exaggerates the reality of the possibility of a surprising outcome.
Also, getting beaten into a comma is preferable to being beaten into a hyphen.
Yeah...fighting peak Tyson analogy OVER-exaggerates the point here....on purpose

Because his analogy of a coin flip UNDER exaggerates the probability of losing to a contender (if you're record against teams with winning records starts with a 0, going back into even last year ....especially when you exclude the game we beat Philly when Hurts couldn't suit up).

The poster made it seem like the reasons we haven't beaten good teams were as random as flipping heads twice in a row. Which...after watching SF bludgeon us twice in a row, everyone with eyes realizes that's simply not true.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Cowboys were supposed to be the third best NFC team. Looks to me like nothing’s changed. We’ve lost two road games to the two best NFC East teams.

It is what it is, and we are who we are. A top team but not a championship team.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score

It's hard to believe the Eagles are that good against good competition but yet they play bad teams neck and neck. And when something goes wrong like the Jets and they miss a 30 yard field goal to put the game away the Jets go down the field and score easily. They can easily have 4 losses. It's going to catch up for them unless they get better on defense, or some of their better players get healthy and start playing.

shabazz

Reaction score
It's a waste of time. This is not about stats. This is about the defeated trying to get people to join them in their rout.
We’ve been backing the defeated for the last 28 years…..we’ve got staying power!

shabazz

Reaction score
Looking at that list there isn't a lot of good teams in the NFC.
……and that’s why a lot of were pissed off that we didn’t trade for a starter just before the trade deadline like the Niners,Eagles,Lions and Seahawks did

We knew the NFC was historically weak and just waiting to be taken.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, I agree. I just think the article is dumb because the number of games against winning teams doesn't match. A smaller sample means smaller results.
The logic doesn't compute. Larger number of games should result in larger data spread. Id's say it should be easier to go 2-0 than 4-0, right?

But we're 0-2. Even worse.

Bagman

Reaction score
Still not sold on Detroit at all. Go into Philly. Go into SF. Play them. Then talk.

plasticman

Reaction score
I think I would closely examine the coin....and see if there was some reason other than random occurrence that one outcome seemed to happen more than the other.

If you fought Mike Tyson twice....and he beat you into a comma twice....would you think the next two bouts with him would likely go your way, because of the whole coin flip logic?

Hmmmmmmm
I would probably want to toss the coin more than 2 times to determine a trend. The same goes for playing against winning teams.

I'll bet that the more we toss that coin, the closer the results get to being a 50-50 split. I also think that the more games against winning teams that we analyze, the closer we get to the real success rate of Dak and the Cowboys vs. winning teams.

When we look at Dak's career:

He is 1-1 against teams that won the Super Bowl that season.
He is 2-1 against teams that won their conference that season.
He is 8-14 against teams that won their division that season.
He is 15-23 against teams that went to the playoffs that season.

Out of 45 quarterbacks to have played at least ten games against opponents who made the playoffs, Dak is ranked 15th.

This puts Dak in the top 3rd of all quarterbacks since 2016 with at least ten games against playoff bound teams.

Dak's career numbers proved that last season's INT total was just a fluke. Dak's career numbers also refutes this season's false narrative that he can't win against winning teams.