NFC-East is Going to be a Beast

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Will the Eagles be in the basement again in 2006?

Will the Cowboys make the elusive playoffs? Have the Skins worked out a formula to move beyond the NFC Championship game?

Will the Giants repeat in the NFC-East?

Hard questions ...not for the "squeamish." What's in your wallet?

The Beast is back ...featuring (figuratively speaking) Drew Bledsoe, Terry Glenn, Julius Jones and Terrell Owens, in one corner of the cage ...Eli Manning, Amani Toomer and Plaxico Buress, in the 2nd corner, Mark Brunell, Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley, and Randle El, in the 3rd corner, and
Donovan McNabb, Brian Westbrook, Reggie Brown, and Jabar Gaffney in the 4th corner.

1) How would you rate your team in the NFC-East Offensive Lines list

2) How would you rate your team in the NFC-East Pass-rush list

Note: While your first instincts would be to rate your team first, what we say isn't necessarily what the coaches would say; so be honest about your lists.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
'im lazy so

First question
1 Dallas
2. Dallas
3. DAllas
4. DAllas

Second Question
1 Dallas
2. Dallas
3. DAllas
4. Dallas

:D

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
The Beast is back ...featuring (figuratively speaking) Drew Bledsoe, Terry Glenn, Julius Jones and Terrell Owens, in one corner of the cage ...Eli Manning, Amani Toomer and Plaxico Buress, in the 2nd corner, Mark Brunell, Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley, and Randle El, in the 3rd corner, and
Donovan McNabb, Brian Westbrook, Reggie Brown, and Jabar Gaffney in the 4th corner.

1) How would you rate your team in the NFC-East Offensive Lines list

2) How would you rate your team in the NFC-East Pass-rush list

Note: While your first instincts would be to rate your team first, what we say isn't necessarily what the coaches would say; so be honest about your lists.

Offensive Line:

1. Commanders (When healthy, can dominate the line of scrimmage and were improving steadily last year, the most athletic line in the bunch).
2. Eagles
3. Giants
4. Cowboys

Pass Rush:

1. Giants
2. Cowboys
3. Eagles
4. Commanders (until we can prove we can get consistent pressure without blitzing)

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
'im lazy so

First question
1 Dallas
2. Dallas
3. DAllas
4. DAllas

Second Question
1 Dallas
2. Dallas
3. DAllas
4. Dallas

:D

That was witty -- but can't I encourage you to at least make a lazy attempt at an serious dialogue. Come on ...:D

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Offensive Line:

1. Commanders (When healthy, can dominate the line of scrimmage and were improving steadily last year, the most athletic line in the bunch).
2. Eagles
3. Giants
4. Cowboys

Pass Rush:

1. Giants
2. Cowboys
3. Eagles
4. Commanders (until we can prove we can get consistent pressure without blitzing)

Thanks RiggoForever ...interesting list. Ouch ...the lack of a pass rush could create some hurt for the SKins with the likes of TO and Buress around.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Thanks RiggoForever ...interesting list. Ouch ...the lack of a pass rush could create some hurt for the SKins with the likes of TO and Buress around.

Yes its been the one thing holding the defense from being #1 in the NFL IMO. We'll see if Andre Carter can make a difference.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Everyone thought the AFC East was going to be a dogfight last year and it turned into one of the weakest divisions in football as the Jets and Bills took a nosedive. We have no assurances that a key injury here or there makes this division weak.

If any of the teams lose their starting QB, the dynamic changes in a hurry.

Henson Domination

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Offensive Line:

2. Eagles
3. Giants
4. Cowboys

Pass Rush:

1. Giants
2. Cowboys
3. Eagles

I'd rate Dallas' O-line higher than the Giants, but I agree with the rest

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Yes its been the one thing holding the defense from being #1 in the NFL IMO. We'll see if Andre Carter can make a difference.

Good Luck with that.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Everyone thought the AFC East was going to be a dogfight last year and it turned into one of the weakest divisions in football as the Jets and Bills took a nosedive. We have no assurances that a key injury here or there makes this division weak.

If any of the teams lose their starting QB, the dynamic changes in a hurry.

Ok, granted ...now what's your call?

Alexander

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Ok, granted ...now what's your call?

One of the four teams will be worse than last year. My guess, and a real shock here, Washington.

I don't think Brunell can repeat his 2005 performance, either on the field or off if he gets hurt. We'll see Jason Campbell, I am betting. And he won't be ready.

AtlCB

Reaction score
I will include the entire passing game:

Offensive Line
1. Washington
2. Philthadelphia
3. New York
4. Dallas

Pass Rush
1. New York
2. Dallas
3. Philthadelphia
4. Washington

Receivers
1. Dallas
2. Washington
3. New York
4. Philadelphia

Secondary
1. Washington
2. Dallas
3. Philadelphia
4. New York

Quarterback
1. Philadelphia
2. New York
3. Dallas
4. Washington

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Good Luck with that.

For the Eagles, Broderick Bunkley is the X factor. Howard and Kearse are solid, but not spectacular pass rushers (Kearse hasn't played to the same level he did in Tennessee). Patterson is going to improve, but if Bunkley is as strong as everyone says he is, he will require double teams, and that could elevate the rush provided by Howard and Kearse.

As of right now I have the Eagles 3rd because we don't know how Bunkley will do against NFL grade offensive linemen.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Alexander said:
One of the four teams will be worse than last year. My guess, and a real shock here, Washington.

I don't think Brunell can repeat his 2005 performance, either on the field or off if he gets hurt. We'll see Jason Campbell, I am betting. And he won't be ready.

I agree, but not exactly for the same reasons. Brunell doesn't have a back up and that oculd cost the Skins (hope he stays healthy, but that's entirely up to his OL).

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Offensive Line

1 Eagles
2. Washington
3. Giants
4. DAllas

Pass Rush

1 Eagles
2. Washington
3. Giants
4. Dallas

That make you happy? :cool:

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:

I think if the playoffs are still at stake, and Brunell goes down, Todd Collins comes in unless Campbell really outperforms him in training camp. Why? Collins has been with the Saunders system 4 years backing up Tent Green.

If God forbid the playoffs aren't at stake, then there'd be no reason at all not to play Campbell.

Alexander

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
I agree, but not exactly for the same reasons. Brunell doesn't have a back up and that oculd cost the Skins (hope he stays healthy, but that's entirely up to his OL).

Even if he stays healthy, I don't see it. By the end of the year, he was pretty much ineffective (particularly in the playoffs). I think they (Moss, Brunell, their whole offense) snuck up on quite a few teams last year and this year, teams will take them seriously, which I don't think many (including us), did in 2005.

Alexander

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
I think if the playoffs are still at stake, and Brunell goes down, Todd Collins comes in unless Campbell really outperforms him in training camp. Why? Collins has been with the Saunders system 4 years backing up Tent Green.

If God forbid the playoffs aren't at stake, then there'd be no reason at all not to play Campbell.

Have you ever seen Collins play? He is horrible. If you thought Ramsey was bad, wait until you get a load of him.

If he plays it will be briefly and in an emergency and strictly because he could step in quickly because he knows the lingo. In terms of a backup, I don't care if he knows the system or not. Many OCs bring their cerebral (but bad) QBs along with them when they change jobs to bring the system and lend an ear to the incumbent QBs. That doesn't mean that player will play extensively. Ty Detmer has made a career out of this.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Have you ever seen Collins play? He is horrible. If you thought Ramsey was bad, wait until you get a load of him.

If he plays it will be briefly and in an emergency and strictly because he could step in quickly because he knows the lingo. In terms of a backup, I don't care if he knows the system or not. Many OCs bring their cerebral (but bad) QBs along with them when they change jobs to bring the system and lend an ear to the incumbent QBs. That doesn't mean that player will play extensively. Ty Detmer has made a career out of this.

I'm not saying we won't suffer, but I think the only team with a proven backup QB right now is Philadelphia with Jeff Garcia.

I'll admit Brunells leg is shaky and he becomes a different QB when he can't plant to throw. In 2004 it was his hamstring, in 2005 his knee was injured in the Giants game. Yet before the injury in 2005, he was one of the better QBs in the NFC.

Yes I know the Tampa game was won by the defense and Brunell didn't do much of anything. Yet it was the number 1 defense in the NFL, and he didn't lose us the game with interceptions either after the defense gave us an early 2 touchdown lead.

I'll agree teams adjusted to Moss, Portis, and Cooley being the only threats. Our X factor is that with a healthy Patten, Lloyd, and Randle El, will Brunell be able to distrubute the ball effectively to them? When healthy I believe he can, but his health is the question. Will Gibbs pull the plug if he becomes ineffective?

I got bashed on Extremeskins for saying this, but I believe that with the way the rest of the team was playing, we would have had a better shot at beating Seattle in the playoffs with a healthy Ramsey vs an injured Brunell.

Alexander

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
I'm not saying we won't suffer, but I think the only team with a proven backup QB right now is Philadelphia with Jeff Garcia.

I wouldn't consider Garcia that much of an improvement over what they had last year. Garcia looked completely finished in Detroit (Cleveland too) and hasn't been the same since he played with Owens. If McNabb goes down again, the Eagles go down.

I'll admit Brunells leg is shaky and he becomes a different QB when he can't plant to throw. In 2004 it was his hamstring, in 2005 his knee was injured in the Giants game. Yet before the injury in 2005, he was one of the better QBs in the NFC.

I don't deny he was effective when healthy. I just think that was his last hurrah though. Just like I don't expect a repeat of Bledsoe's first half performance this year either. Veteran QBs sometimes have revivals in new places as they sometimes play over their heads (and teams underestimate them) but eventually age and opponent gameplanning do catch up.

I'll agree teams adjusted to Moss, Portis, and Cooley being the only threats. Our X factor is that with a healthy Patten, Lloyd, and Randle El, will Brunell be able to distrubute the ball effectively to them? When healthy I believe he can, but his health is the question. Will Gibbs pull the plug if he becomes ineffective?

You would know the answer better than I would. I would guess no, not for either Collins or Campbell. Parcells didn't do it for Testeverde, and I doubt Gibbs would either.

I got bashed on Extremeskins for saying this, but I believe that with the way the rest of the team was playing, we would have had a better shot at beating Seattle in the playoffs with a healthy Ramsey vs an injured Brunell.

Again, not sure. What I saw of Ramsey wasn't that bad, but he just mentally didn't seem to have it together.