NFC PLAYOFF PICTURE (updated)

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
O.K. here's the updated playoff picture I put together. Bold is overall record. Blue is conference record. Red is division records for NFC East teams. And italics is upcoming games. (...) is any other additions worth mentioning.

NFC Playoff Picture

1. NY Giants 6-1 - BYE (4-0) (1-0) vs. Dal
2. Carolina 6-2 - BYE (4-2) bye week (Tampa holds head-to-head over Carolina for now)

3. Arizona 4-3 (2-2) @ St. Louis
4. Chicago 4-3 (3-3) vs. Detroit
5. Commanders 6-2 (5-2) (2-1) vs. Pitts
6. Dallas 5-3 (3-3) (1-1) @ NYG

Wild Card Race

7. Tampa Bay 5-3 (5-2) @ Kansas City (Cowboys own head-to-head, also see Carolina comment)
8. Green Bay 4-3 (3-3) @ Tennessee (Cowboys own head-to-head)
9. Philadelphia 4-3 (3-3) (0-2) @ Seattle (Cowboys hold head-to-head, for now)
10. Atlanta 4-3 (3-3) @ Oakland (Cowboys hold strength of victory, Don't think we have 4 common opponents yet).
11. New Orleans 4-4 (2-3) bye week (Cowboys hold better conference record for now)
12. Minnesota 3-4 (3-2) vs. Houston (Cowboys hold strength of victory barely, also see Atlanta comment)

Alright, looking at this, most will think we control our own destiny. For the most part we do, but there are other scenarios that come into play.

For example, Current Division leaders that may drop.

An example of this would be if Carolina lost and Bucs won, then Carolina would take the 6th sead due to better conference record (Although not this week as Carolina is on a bye). But as of now Tampa holds the head to head over Carolina for that division.

Chicago possibly as well, but that would go into common opponents (minimum of 4) or strength of victory which is the fourth tie-breaker. I think Arizona is pretty set in their division for now.

I'm hoping that the teams we have the head-to-head advantage over don't overtake their division. We're kind of hanging by a string for that sixth seed because we can get knocked off from the bottom or the top current division winners.

If we had lost that Tampa game we currently would be in 12th place which Minny could even drop us even further in the near term, due to Conference record.

These records and Conference records in the NFC are like nothing I have ever seen...It's unbelievable!

But here's hoping for a win against the Giants, it almost seems easier to get in the playoffs as a division winner than a wild card. Although we did ourselves an enormous favor by beating the bucs.

Here's hoping we can somehow find a way to beat the Giants this weekend! It would be so much easier that way with our cavalry coming back after the bye week.
:starspin

Primetime42

Reaction score
If we get healthy and play our game, we'll be in easily.

The question is whether we have it in us to take back the division.

Guess we're about to find out.

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
It will be really frustrating if the Commanders finish with a better record than the Cardinals, having also beaten them, but end up with the 6th seed and having to play round one away in Zona.

David276

Benched
Reaction score
wow that really put it into perspective. now would be a good time for a 7 game winning streak like last years

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
GoinForSix;2381431 said:
Playoffs look like this. We need to win 5 or we don't get in.

That's what I think. I say 11-5 we can secure. At 10-6 I think we'll be playing the "tie-breaker game" to get in. In my opinion, there won't be a 9-7 NFC team in the postseason this year.

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
David276;2381489 said:
wow that really put it into perspective. now would be a good time for a 7 game winning streak like last years

I agree, now would be a good time for a nice winning streak. I hope, our Defense and running game can do enough in the Giants game to squeak out a win. And then when Romo and Co. get back...Watch out!!

Also, regarding the original post....

The only 2 teams that I see losing this week out of the 12 playoff hopefuls would be

Pittsburgh over Commanders
Tennessee over Green Bay

And those are non-conference games.

Obviously someone has to lose between the Cowboys and Giants (Hope not us!)

But as far as every other team on that list, they are all playing the bottom feeders. I know "any given Sunday" but I'm not holding my breath.

In my opinion, There will be at least one 10-6 team that will not make the playoffs, and I don't want the Cowboys to be that team.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
man, wild card?

I would of bet the ranch before the season.....that we would win the division easily.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
Tampa has a great chance of leapfrogging us. They almost have a gimme in Kansas City and we will be fighting for our lives agianst NYG. C'mon, Dallas!

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2382923 said:
Tampa has a great chance of leapfrogging us. They almost have a gimme in Kansas City and we will be fighting for our lives agianst NYG. C'mon, Dallas!
First nothing in the NFL is a gimme. KC gave the Jets everything last week and are playing much better. I see another low scoring game with Tampa and that plays into the hands of KC. Second even if they do win we hold the tiebreaker over them. Let's just play this out and see how it falls.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that we're going to have to work some magic to get in, we need to catch fire as soon as Romo gets back. If we can win this weekend, which is highly unlikely, we'd be sitting pretty... otherwise we're gonna have to grind it out.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2382943 said:
The fact of the matter is that we're going to have to work some magic to get in, we need to catch fire as soon as Romo gets back. If we can win this weekend, which is highly unlikely, we'd be sitting pretty... otherwise we're gonna have to grind it out.

When we win this weekend everything will look a lot clearer and once Romo gets back we won't lose another game .

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
bootsy;2382930 said:
First nothing in the NFL is a gimme. KC gave the Jets everything last week and are playing much better. I see another low scoring game with Tampa and that plays into the hands of KC. Second even if they do win we hold the tiebreaker over them. Let's just play this out and see how it falls.

Argueing over nothing. Ok, it isn't a gimme game (of which, I said almost), but what would you say are the odds of Tampa beating KC and the odds of us beating NYG right now? I am going off odd's here which is all anyone can really do. And where does a tie breaker even fall into things when the other team has a better record? Tampa would be 6-3 and we would be 5-4.

If the odds turn out to become fact, we will be bumped from the wildcard spot by Tampa. Here's hoping that Dallas doesn't listen to odd's..

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2382944 said:
When we win this weekend everything will look a lot clearer and once Romo gets back we won't lose another game .

I need some of your confidence, I hope you're right.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2382948 said:
Argueing over nothing. Ok, it isn't a gimme game (of which, I said almost), but what would you say are the odds of Tampa beating KC and the odds of us beating NYG right now? I am going off odd's here which is all anyone can really do. And where does a tie breaker even fall into things when the other team has a better record? Tampa would be 6-3 and we would be 5-4.

If the odds turn out to become fact, we will be bumped from the wildcard spot by Tampa. Here's hoping that Dallas doesn't listen to odd's..
Who's arguing? Sounds like you are. All I did was say anything can happen. I don't care about odds. Odds are for Vegas. I am going by how unpredictable this NFL season has been.

' And where does a tie breaker even fall into things when the other team has a better record? Tampa would be 6-3 and we would be 5-4.'

This is why I said let's play this thing out. Meaning the playoffs don't start next week. You need to read everything I said next time and pay attention.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2382943 said:
I hardly call being at 5-3 currently the 6th seed working magic. We need to continue to win games to get to a total of 10 probably but we don't need a miracle.

Primetime0201

Benched
Reaction score
Hot_Toddy;2381426 said:
O.K. here's the updated playoff picture I put together. Bold is overall record. Blue is conference record. Red is division records for NFC East teams. And italics is upcoming games. (...) is any other additions worth mentioning.

NFC Playoff Picture

1. NY Giants 6-1 - BYE (4-0) (1-0) vs. Dal
2. Carolina 6-2 - BYE (4-2) bye week (Tampa holds head-to-head over Carolina for now)

3. Arizona 4-3 (2-2) @ St. Louis
4. Chicago 4-3 (3-3) vs. Detroit
5. Commanders 6-2 (5-2) (2-1) vs. Pitts
6. Dallas 5-3 (3-3) (1-1) @ NYG

Wild Card Race

7. Tampa Bay 5-3 (5-2) @ Kansas City (Cowboys own head-to-head, also see Carolina comment)
8. Green Bay 4-3 (3-3) @ Tennessee (Cowboys own head-to-head)
9. Philadelphia 4-3 (3-3) (0-2) @ Seattle (Cowboys hold head-to-head, for now)
10. Atlanta 4-3 (3-3) @ Oakland (Cowboys hold strength of victory, Don't think we have 4 common opponents yet).
11. New Orleans 4-4 (2-3) bye week (Cowboys hold better conference record for now)
12. Minnesota 3-4 (3-2) vs. Houston (Cowboys hold strength of victory barely, also see Atlanta comment)

Alright, looking at this, most will think we control our own destiny. For the most part we do, but there are other scenarios that come into play.

For example, Current Division leaders that may drop.

An example of this would be if Carolina lost and Bucs won, then Carolina would take the 6th sead due to better conference record (Although not this week as Carolina is on a bye). But as of now Tampa holds the head to head over Carolina for that division.

Chicago possibly as well, but that would go into common opponents (minimum of 4) or strength of victory which is the fourth tie-breaker. I think Arizona is pretty set in their division for now.

I'm hoping that the teams we have the head-to-head advantage over don't overtake their division. We're kind of hanging by a string for that sixth seed because we can get knocked off from the bottom or the top current division winners.

If we had lost that Tampa game we currently would be in 12th place which Minny could even drop us even further in the near term, due to Conference record.

These records and Conference records in the NFC are like nothing I have ever seen...It's unbelievable!

But here's hoping for a win against the Giants, it almost seems easier to get in the playoffs as a division winner than a wild card. Although we did ourselves an enormous favor by beating the bucs.

Here's hoping we can somehow find a way to beat the Giants this weekend! It would be so much easier that way with our cavalry coming back after the bye week.
:starspin

OHHH I HOPE TO GOD WE GET A SECOND SHOT AT ARIZONA! I would also love to have the Giants in the 2nd round...

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2382471 said:
man, wild card?

I would of bet the ranch before the season.....that we would win the division easily.

There are plenty of games yet to be played. I wouldn't put the division out of the running, just yet.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Sure it's current.

But realize that 3 of the 6 teams also have at least 3 more games against each other (NFCE). Hell, the Giants play 5 more games against the division, not to mention Carolina and Baltimore.