Twitter: NFL and new tv deals announced

MarcusRock

Reaction score
This means very very little in terms of ratings. It is a fact that ratings dropped. We also know that Gen Z isn't as interested in sports as other generations. This is incredibly short-sighted and this cable networks getting the gasp before they die off.

Also stretching out NFL games online to multiple different streaming services will be a poor way to go in the long run as well.

See my reply to Aviano90 previously regarding ratings. These guys deal in billions. They're not dumb. They don't throw around that kind of money if it's not worth it to them to do so, otherwise deal growth would slow. It hasn't. If you think they haven't forseen where they're going to take things having eaten, slept, and drank projections for years on end and knowing the technology out there and even future technology none of us know about, you're just kidding yourself like the rest of the "NFL will burn" crowd with their fatalistic hope-posting every time big money is discussed.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Are people cutting the cord in droves?
Are streaming services increasing on the other side of that?
Don't know how illegal streams can be measured but are those increasing?

These deals are what they are because networks want to reach people (potential consumers), period. If the people are significantly less then the deal increases would probably reflect that, wouldn't they? What was the percent increase of these deals versus the percent increase of the previous deals? If this these recent ones have slowed like ratings have, you might be on to something but even then you'd have to account for if the network ratings migrated to the streams or not. But let's stick with the percent increase of the deals. Did they slow down?
I believe @CouchCoach is an expert in TV. Here is a link which explains how Sports Media Watch calculates it down on the bottom of the page.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl-tv-ratings-viewership-2020-2019/

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I believe @CouchCoach is an expert in TV. Here is a link which explains how Sports Media Watch calculates it down on the bottom of the page.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl-tv-ratings-viewership-2020-2019/

As I said to poster just above your response, there is probably viewing technology we don't even know about that these guys with their billions know is coming. But back to my original question. What was the growth of these deals compared to the previous deal's increase?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
As I said to poster just above your response, there is probably viewing technology we don't even know about that these guys with their billions know is coming. But back to my original question. What was the growth of these deals compared to the previous deal's increase?
Was pretty good. How much better could it have been if ratings weren’t going down?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Is this a question as to where you know the answer and want someone else to answer for some satisfaction, or you just don't know and don't want to research it yourself?

Ken

Reaction score
People like to point to just the ratings.

They fail to account for the fact that TV ratings across the board are down due to steaming and other factors. The NFL’s market share of viewers is as strong as ever.

And as these new deals show. The NFL is going to be getting into the streaming game. So people who “cut the cord” on cable can stream games through Amazon, ESPN+, peacock, etc.
TV ratings are down because the NFL wanted to play politics.

Dumbest move a business can make. They may never recover.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Something about this wreaks of collusion between the owners and the league. Everyone and their senile grandmother knew the TV money was going WAY up, but the cap dropped dramatically based on one COVID-affected season. This smacks of owners working behind the scenes to keep contract numbers in check for a couple of years to rake in even more dough.

Motorola

Reaction score
Does anyone see anything on Monday flex rules?

Makes a huge difference if traveling to a game.
I am taking a guess that the MNF flex:
A) Will not go into effect until weeks 14 thru 17 (one bye week) or 15 thru 18 (*two bye weeks* ---just spit-balling on this)

B) The originally scheduled MNF game will not be moved - it will be just aired to the local markets involved, while the "flexed-in" game is the nationwide MNF broadcast

C) The 12 day minimum time in advance to change and announce the SNF flex will apply...it will be on that Wednesday that is 12 days before that Monday night.
Again - just me speculating.........

HungryLion

Reaction score
TV ratings are down because the NFL wanted to play politics.

Dumbest move a business can make. They may never recover.

ok sure.

I’m not going to argue about this dumb topic.

TV deals just went up a massive amount. Speak for itself really.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Is this a question as to where you know the answer and want someone else to answer for some satisfaction, or you just don't know and don't want to research it yourself?

I'm guessing that an 80% increase is better than the last time but I don't know. But if another is saying that lower ratings on TV put a hurtin' on the league then perhaps a slower rate of growth on the TV deals would be evident. Tons of factors but this is a pretty good indicator. Not my point to prove, however so that's why I asked.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I'm guessing that an 80% increase is better than the last time but I don't know. But if another is saying that lower ratings on TV put a hurtin' on the league then perhaps a slower rate of growth on the TV deals would be evident. Tons of factors but this is a pretty good indicator. Not my point to prove, however so that's why I asked.
Right on. Thanks for the clarification.