Twitter: NFL and new tv deals announced

HungryLion

Reaction score
I'm guessing that an 80% increase is better than the last time but I don't know. But if another is saying that lower ratings on TV put a hurtin' on the league then perhaps a slower rate of growth on the TV deals would be evident. Tons of factors but this is a pretty good indicator. Not my point to prove, however so that's why I asked.

I don’t think there is less total eye balls on football games. I really don’t. Especially as a % of total TV watchers.

I think more people are watching through streams and other forms of media and not just on normal TV.

TV ratings in general are impacted by streaming. That’s the future. Which is why this TV deal is starting to move toward making games accessible through streaming channels.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Who says it wasn't ignored entirely because they deemed it insigificant?
Perhaps they did. I would venture to guess if ratings were rising instead of falling that the deals would have been better. But I couldn’t care less. The fact is people
Said they wouldn’t watch and ratings did, in fact, decline. I am not going to essentially call them a liar and look for other excuses.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Selling the NFL to dying networks is no great feat. The paymasters, like Disney, know that if they don’t have the NFL ABC and ESPN are toast. It’s a classic late stage codependency.

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
This means very very little in terms of ratings. It is a fact that ratings dropped. We also know that Gen Z isn't as interested in sports as other generations. This is incredibly short-sighted and this cable networks getting the gasp before they die off.

Also stretching out NFL games online to multiple different streaming services will be a poor way to go in the long run as well.
Agreed. But a decade from now who knows. As an owner I’m pleased to make more money. My girlfriends will be happy

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Perhaps they did. I would venture to guess if ratings were rising instead of falling that the deals would have been better. But I couldn’t care less. The fact is people
Said they wouldn’t watch and ratings did, in fact, decline. I am not going to essentially call them a liar and look for other excuses.

Well, when ratings actually came back the following year I guess those were all new recruits then to overcome that speedbump. But human nature is human nature. People like that grandstand for effect, and I think it's most. And people cutting the cord in record numbers and turning to streaming is not excuses, it's fact, and would also lead to ratings declines, would it not? I didn't get those answers either when I asked you but I get it. As much as the piker fan wants to believe they have an effect on things here, they don't. So they will continue to gripe about players getting paid and the league doing pretty well and watch the whole way.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Well, when ratings actually came back the following year I guess those were all new recruits then to overcome that speedbump. But human nature is human nature. People like that grandstand for effect, and I think it's most. And people cutting the cord in record numbers and turning to streaming is not excuses, it's fact, and would also lead to ratings declines, would it not? I didn't get those answers either when I asked you but I get it. As much as the piker fan wants to believe they have an effect on things here, they don't. So they will continue to gripe about players getting paid and the league doing pretty well and watch the whole way.
What answers are you seeking?

In 2016 people said they would stop watching and they did. You hated it and didn’t believe people were making good on their promise. The league addressed the issue that people were upset about and lo and behold the numbers came back in 2017. It’s like magic.

Agian in 2020, the league frustrated fans and fans said they weren’t going to watch. Lo and behold the ratings dropped yet again. And yet you’re still taking the approach these fans are lying. I don’t get it? You don’t have to agree with them but it is painfully obvious the NFL lost a portion of their fanbase last year. They may or may not come back. That’s to be determined.

As for the ratings, the Nielsen ratings are based upon the monitoring of a certain group of people. Their behaviors drive the ratings and are then projected out across the country. Someone else’s viewing habits is essentially predicting what you and I are doing, whether we are cord cutters or not. When that group of people watches less football, it impacts the ratings. So when they can tell 35% of those households were watching the SB in 2019 but only 29% in 2020, that shows the decline. Those aren’t real numbers, it’s just an example.

The link I provided earlier showed they include streaming and DVR numbers in their ratings (Sports Media Watch).

MarcusRock

Reaction score
What answers are you seeking?

In 2016 people said they would stop watching and they did. You hated it and didn’t believe people were making good on their promise. The league addressed the issue that people were upset about and lo and behold the numbers came back in 2017. It’s like magic.

Agian in 2020, the league frustrated fans and fans said they weren’t going to watch. Lo and behold the ratings dropped yet again. And yet you’re still taking the approach these fans are lying. I don’t get it? You don’t have to agree with them but it is painfully obvious the NFL lost a portion of their fanbase last year. They may or may not come back. That’s to be determined.

As for the ratings, the Nielsen ratings are based upon the monitoring of a certain group of people. Their behaviors drive the ratings and are then projected out across the country. Someone else’s viewing habits is essentially predicting what you and I are doing, whether we are cord cutters or not. When that group of people watches less football, it impacts the ratings. So when they can tell 35% of those households were watching the SB in 2019 but only 29% in 2020, that shows the decline. Those aren’t real numbers, it’s just an example.

The link I provided earlier showed they include streaming and DVR numbers in their ratings (Sports Media Watch).

What answers am I seeking? Only the one you still haven't provided in comparing the network deal increase this time to last time. Because the money is what says a lot and would give any credence to a needle move as I've already mentioned.

And it's you that's saying I'm calling people liars. I'm not. When grandstanders say they're going to do something based on some principle, I'm sure some probably mean it at the time. But when boots hit the ground and they actually have to follow through with it at a cost, then their knee-jerk emotion swings to actual thinking. But the threat sure sounded nice and made them look like a champ and feel that they should be paid attention to. Drama queening. As I said before, I do think people have left but I think most did a big cat fake pounce. That's human nature. The equivalent of "I'm gonna call my lawyer. Just you watch." Even on these boards you had folks who said if any Dallas player took part, they'd be done. Wish I kept track before that thread got deleted because I don't remember who said it except one main guy who, as any unbiased person would have guessed, has been posting here all year long like normal. If Nielsen takes snippets and projects out, well, I'm doing the same thing.

I say, let all the people leave who want to. It's their right to choose. While they're at it, take the people who whine about how they're "thisclose" to leaving the game because it's not like it used to be. Make a decision and keep to it. I respect that even if I don't agree. But fake bravado grandstanding where you never follow through I will never have respect for. It's funny how that revenue thread will be more popular than this one because people so wanted to believe that it was more than the pandemic and that people's little tantrum was having an effect. I even predicted that with my first post in there and was right because I know human nature. Also loved the cheering of cancel culture while complaining about it in other areas. Also human nature. Principles like a weather vane. Shift, baby, shift. I will call that out all day.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
What answers am I seeking? Only the one you still haven't provided in comparing the network deal increase this time to last time. Because the money is what says a lot and would give any credence to a needle move as I've already mentioned.

And it's you that's saying I'm calling people liars. I'm not. When grandstanders say they're going to do something based on some principle, I'm sure some probably mean it at the time. But when boots hit the ground and they actually have to follow through with it at a cost, then their emotion swings to actual thinking. But the threat sure sounded nice and made them look like a champ and feel that they should be paid attention to. Drama queening. As I said before, I do think people have left but I think most did a big cat fake pounce. That's human nature. The equivalent of "I'm gonna call my lawyer. Just you watch." Even on these boards you had folks who said if any Dallas player took part, they'd be done. Wish I kept track before that thread got deleted because I don't remember who said it except one main guy who, as any unbiased person would have guessed, has been posting here all year long like normal. If Nielsen takes snippets and projects out, well, I'm doing the same thing.

I say, let all the people leave who want to. It's their right to choose. While they're at it, take the people who whine about how they're "thisclose" to leaving the game because it's not like it used to be. Make a decision and keep to it. I respect that even if I don't agree. But fake bravado grandstanding where you never follow through I will never have respect for. It's funny how that revenue thread will be more popular than this one because people so wanted to believe that it was more than the pandemic and that people's little tantrum was having an effect. I even predicted that with my first post in there and was right because I know human nature. Also loved the cheering of cancel culture while complaining about it otherwise. Also human nature. Principles like a weather vane. Shift, baby, shift. I will call that out all day.

I've already acknowledged it was a nice increase but the increasing network deal doesn't mean there wasn't a decline in ratings. Both things can be true, right?

Here is a link to just the SB ratings. You can clearly see the ratings begin to fall in 2016. I had thought they rebounded in 2017 but was mistaken. There are fewer people watching football than in the past. They are even accounting for streaming. Seems to me the people who are claiming they aren't watching football have been pretty serious about it and not just grandstanding. If the ratings weren't declining then I would tend to agree they were just blowing smoke, but it certainly appears they aren't.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/super-bowl-ratings-historical-viewership-chart-cbs-nbc-fox-abc/

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I've already acknowledged it was a nice increase but the increasing network deal doesn't mean there wasn't a decline in ratings. Both things can be true, right?

Here is a link to just the SB ratings. You can clearly see the ratings begin to fall in 2016. I had thought they rebounded in 2017 but was mistaken. There are fewer people watching football than in the past. They are even accounting for streaming. Seems to me the people who are claiming they aren't watching football have been pretty serious about it and not just grandstanding. If the ratings weren't declining then I would tend to agree they were just blowing smoke, but it certainly appears they aren't.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/super-bowl-ratings-historical-viewership-chart-cbs-nbc-fox-abc/

If you try to attribute everything to the grandstanders whereas there are other factors I've mentioned. Again, the other thing not answered for is illegal streaming. There's a thread here every week now of people asking for those. If legal streaming has increased just from those numbers, how much more has illegal streaming, especially as its quality has gotten so good? I use mine on my phone which was unthinkable just a few short years ago. Again, these aren't excuses, they're facts.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If you try to attribute everything to the grandstanders whereas there are other factors I've mentioned. Again, the other thing not answered for is illegal streaming. There's a thread here every week now of people asking for those. If legal streaming has increased just from those numbers, how much more has illegal streaming, especially as its quality has gotten so good? I use mine on my phone which was unthinkable just a few short years ago. Again, these aren't excuses, they're facts.
They are still estimating the numbers based upon their network of Nielsen families viewing habits. The illegal streamers don't matter. Of the people they can measure, a fewer percentage of those people are watching NFL now than they were in the past. That is what drives the ratings.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Suddenly Pat Mahomes signing for 10 years is gonna seem like the Chiefs absolutely robbed him blind.

QBs will be making 60m$ a year before that’s over

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Apparently, they were making $5B per year in the last deal. This one is worth $9B per year. Don’t the revenues have to be split equally between players and owners? If so, that’s an extra $2B/32 franchises which means $60M that could potentially be added to the salary cap.

This is not accurate.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
They are still estimating the numbers based upon their network of Nielsen families viewing habits. The illegal streamers don't matter. Of the people they can measure, a fewer percentage of those people are watching NFL now than they were in the past. That is what drives the ratings.

Right. They don't matter for raw ratings because they just aren't counted but of course they matter in big picture. How would they not? They're watching the ads too, aren't they? That's what matters. If the game isn't on the networks the illegal streamers aren't watching either. So despite any raw ratings decline, the eyes are still out there. If the same number of illegal streamers are out there as legal ones (and I think there are more illegal), the Super Bowl actually didn't have less than 100 million viewers as it seemed it did by the raw numbers. And thus, ratings would of course be lower because the people that "can be measured" are increasingly becoming immeasurable. Am I right? This isn't fuzzy math I'm using. If I use my supposition of equal legal and illegal streamers, that would put the viewers right behind the NE-LAR Super Bowl in 2019 (only 186,000 less viewers when you add everything up). Like I said before, you think networks throwing billions at these deals for 10 years don't have this figured out and beyond? I'm just some dinky guy on the internet tossing this out there while they study this infinitely.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Right. They don't matter for raw ratings because they just aren't counted but of course they matter in big picture. How would they not? They're watching the ads too, aren't they? That's what matters. If the game isn't on the networks the illegal streamers aren't watching either. So despite any raw ratings decline, the eyes are still out there. If the same number of illegal streamers are out there as legal ones (and I think there are more illegal), the Super Bowl actually didn't have less than 100 million viewers as it seemed it did by the raw numbers. And thus, ratings would of course be lower because the people that "can be measured" are increasingly becoming immeasurable. Am I right? This isn't fuzzy math I'm using. If I use my supposition of equal legal and illegal streamers, that would put the viewers right behind the NE-LAR Super Bowl in 2019 (only 186,000 less viewers when you add everything up). Like I said before, you think networks throwing billions at these deals for 10 years don't have this figured out and beyond? I'm just some dinky guy on the internet tossing this out there while they study this infinitely.
You would be right if they were measuring everyone individually. They aren't. They are estimated based upon the viewing habits of their sample size. Do you think illegal streamers have significantly different viewing habits than those who stream legally? Like all the illegal streamers happen to be watching NFL games instead of movies and the number of them is so significant it makes the Nielsen ratings untrustworthy?

I would guess the networks are willing to pay so much because the ratings (which apparently you don't trust very much) show that the NFL performs very well against the rest of the programming. It's just compared to itself, the numbers have been declining. Or does the positive news about the NFL ratings matter, but the negative aspect of the ratings don't matter?