NFL.com 2017 redraft

ultron

Reaction score
And with the 25th pick in the first round:

25. HOUSTON TEXANS: CB CHIDOBE AWUZIE
Previous Pick: S Jabrill Peppers (Browns via trade)
The Texans’ biggest area of need right now is help in the secondary, and Awuzie is the cornerback left on the board with the best track record over a three-year span. He’s been solid in coverage for the Cowboys the past two years, with coverage grades of 65.4 and 70.5 to go along with an allowed completion rate of 62.5%. Those aren’t spectacular numbers, but they also aren’t going to kill your team. Looking at the players left on the board and the sort of value that a player like Awuzie has brought to the table, it makes sense for him to go here to a team that could use him.

So once again the Cowboys nailed a draft (2016 & 2017), landing two first round picks in the 2nd and 6th rounds respectively.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Byron Jones and Chido Awuzie, poster boys for proof it takes more than being fast on the track to be a good CB.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think people tend to overvalue just how many good players come out of the draft every year.

More often than not when these redraft scenarios are done the #20-30 players typically are average players.

Most players drafted are out of the league within 3 years.

hsfolk

Reaction score
4 of the top 13 are Saints

7. Marcus Williams
quote:
Original pick: Mike Williams, WR.
Marcus Williams was actually drafted: by the Saints in Round 2 (No. 42).

Marcus Williams has been one of the more productive players in the league, even though he will be remembered for his role in allowing the Saints to end up on the wrong end of the Minnesota Miracle in the 2017 playoffs. I know the Chargers had other needs that were eventually filled via later drafts, but this was Gus Bradley's first season as the team's defensive coordinator, and his single-high safety scheme needed a playmaker. Williams would have been the perfect fit to play that center-field position.

8. Alvin Kamara
quote:
Original pick: Christian McCaffrey, RB.
Kamara was actually drafted: by the Saints in Round 3 (No. 67).

The Panthers could have looked to defense at this spot, but it seemed certain that then-GM Dave Gettleman wanted to make the on-brand decision to line up a replacement for aging running back Jonathan Stewart. Kamara can do a lot of the things that has made Christian McCaffrey a success in this league, and pairing Kamara with Cam Newton at this point in Newton's career would have been fun.

11. Marshon Lattimore
quote:
Original pick: Marshon Lattimore, CB.

The Saints also did pretty well with this pick in the original draft, and New Orleans is exactly where the 2017 Defensive Rookie of the Year will land once again. Lattimore was amazing during his rookie season, and you could have made the case to pick him ahead of White based on that first year. Though Lattimore sort of flattened out over the past two years, he's still one of the top picks in this draft.

13. Ryan Ramczyk
quote:
Original pick: Haason Reddick, LB.
Ramczyk was actually drafted: by the Saints in Round 1 (No. 32).

This was such a weird pick to make, because the Cardinals were in the mix for a quarterback. But with Mahomes and Watson gone, there was no way they were going to use such a high selection on the next best QB, Nathan Peterman. Instead, Arizona addressed a seemingly endless need by snagging the best lineman in the draft, a bookend tackle who will be dominant at his position for years and honestly would have had a good case to be the No. 3 overall pick. In this exercise, the Cardinals have landed quite a steal.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
4 of the top 13 are Saints

7. Marcus Williams
quote:
Original pick: Mike Williams, WR.
Marcus Williams was actually drafted: by the Saints in Round 2 (No. 42).

Marcus Williams has been one of the more productive players in the league, even though he will be remembered for his role in allowing the Saints to end up on the wrong end of the Minnesota Miracle in the 2017 playoffs. I know the Chargers had other needs that were eventually filled via later drafts, but this was Gus Bradley's first season as the team's defensive coordinator, and his single-high safety scheme needed a playmaker. Williams would have been the perfect fit to play that center-field position.

8. Alvin Kamara
quote:
Original pick: Christian McCaffrey, RB.
Kamara was actually drafted: by the Saints in Round 3 (No. 67).

The Panthers could have looked to defense at this spot, but it seemed certain that then-GM Dave Gettleman wanted to make the on-brand decision to line up a replacement for aging running back Jonathan Stewart. Kamara can do a lot of the things that has made Christian McCaffrey a success in this league, and pairing Kamara with Cam Newton at this point in Newton's career would have been fun.

11. Marshon Lattimore
quote:
Original pick: Marshon Lattimore, CB.

The Saints also did pretty well with this pick in the original draft, and New Orleans is exactly where the 2017 Defensive Rookie of the Year will land once again. Lattimore was amazing during his rookie season, and you could have made the case to pick him ahead of White based on that first year. Though Lattimore sort of flattened out over the past two years, he's still one of the top picks in this draft.

13. Ryan Ramczyk
quote:
Original pick: Haason Reddick, LB.
Ramczyk was actually drafted: by the Saints in Round 1 (No. 32).

This was such a weird pick to make, because the Cardinals were in the mix for a quarterback. But with Mahomes and Watson gone, there was no way they were going to use such a high selection on the next best QB, Nathan Peterman. Instead, Arizona addressed a seemingly endless need by snagging the best lineman in the draft, a bookend tackle who will be dominant at his position for years and honestly would have had a good case to be the No. 3 overall pick. In this exercise, the Cardinals have landed quite a steal.
Yeah that was. A great draft for them. Drafts like that can really help your team contend for years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only one we need concern ourselves with:

6. NEW YORK JETS: EDGE T.J. WATT
Previous Pick: S Jamal Adams
Watt has improved each year in the NFL, culminating in a 2019 season in which he was a legitimate Defensive Player of the Year candidate. Whether it is chasing down a rusher off the backside of the play or beating his blocker off the jump, Watt has a relentless motor. That motor helped him rack up 81 total pressures (fourth in NFL) and 37 combined quarterback hits and sacks (third) this past season. Losing out on a multi-dimensional defensive chess piece like Adams by one pick is a tough blow for New York, but Watt isn’t a bad consolation prize by any means. He figures to be one of the top edge defenders in the league for years to come — just like his brother.

Thanks again Old Man River!
:facepalm:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chido gets hate....it’s gonna change this year. He’s gonna finally get his respect.

I hope you're right but I'll believe it when I see it.

Chido tries hard (most of the time), but he's always a day late and a dollar short. In the picture, but just missing out on making the play.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Chido tries hard (most of the time), but he's always a day late and a dollar short. In the picture, but just missing out on making the play.
Well that’s why I have faith in him. Blind faith but faith lol. When I watch him play he’s not getting burnt for the most part. It’s weird he’s there to make a play but just can’t. I think with the years of experience he’s gained I think he knows what he has to do this season. I just want to know what type of scheme are they gonna run and how far off will the corners be off receivers. You can not create turnovers in a bend but don’t break defense no matter what Maranelli thought.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well that’s why I have faith in him. Blind faith but faith lol. When I watch him play he’s not getting burnt for the most part. It’s weird he’s there to make a play but just can’t. I think with the years of experience he’s gained I think he knows what he has to do this season.

I agree with yiu, I get frustrated for him when I see him oh so close to making a play time and time again only to come up inches short. I think the guy puts in the work and tries his best. I can't fault him for that.

I just want to know what type of scheme are they gonna run and how far off will the corners be off receivers. You can not create turnovers in a bend but don’t break defense no matter what Maranelli thought.

I can't help but to think they'll have better chance for success with a front seven that's actually giving them some help.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Agreed. He always seems 'right there' but can close the deal sometimes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. He always seems 'right there' but can close the deal sometimes.

Like me, do you ever feel the burden of being so right, so often?

Sometimes, the pressure becomes so great.
tenor.gif

;)