NFL Combine Thread

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Porter is a better player than Smith. So if we going bpa taking Nolan is a fail
I think Porter would get the nod. He could vey well be the #1 CB on our board. He just checks all the boxes I think this team looks for in a CB.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I’d throw a brick through my TV.

Man if Smith and Porter are there? Tough call but I’m always going to lean Edge bc of how much it improves the whole defense.

I think Nolan would give us 2 Parsons type players that DQ could mix and match. So fun.

How do you like Foskey / Van Ess / Brown? Aka the more realistic edge options.
Sorry it took me so long to answer. I had to get some stuff done.

Van Ness, I’m not big on. He does move better (testing) than I expected, but his play just hasn’t impressed me very much. I feel like I’m missing something when I see mock drafts with him going in the top 20 picks. I don’t know… I just don’t like him a lot. I’ve been wrong before.

Foskey is alright but doesn’t really get me excited. He’s pretty athletic and has good size… but, I don’t know. He just hasn’t really jumped out at me. I will say this about him: he was getting better fast towards the end of this season. He started slow and finished fast. If the team took him, I would have hope that he was just starting to grow into a good player in 2022.

I’ll tell you who I like that reminds me a whole lot of Nolan Smith: Derick Hall. He is the same height and a little bit heavier. He’s just a slightly thicker Smith. He is a known leader on his team (permanent team Captain) and is way better setting the edge in the run game than you think he would be… just like Smith. And like Smith, Hall plays a violent brand of football and is a very strong player. They are both very similar players from big SEC schools.

Hall ran an unofficial 4.57 in the 40, which will be an official time of about a tenth of a second faster, so likely in the 4.4’s… at 6-3 254 pounds. Almost 20 pounds heavier than Smith.

His 10-yard split is just a hair behind Smith (1.59 v 1.52) so the explosion is there for both of them.

Here are some of his positives from draft network. Tell me it doesn’t remind you of Smith:

Hall is an explosive pass rusher with a dense/strong build and long limbs. He should not be boxed in as a pass rusher that only holds value on third downs. Hall is a strong edge setter and run defender. His understanding of leverage paired with the usage of his reach and power allows him to hold up at the point of attack. His hands are heavy and powerful and he is a difficult blocking assignment for tight ends. As a pass rusher, Hall’s A-trait is his ability to convert speed to power. He uses that explosive burst to sell the outside track before using the long-arm and half-man technique to drive blockers into the backfield. He has shown a little bend to dip underneath offensive tackles’ hands to quickly impact the quarterback.

Anyway, I would get extremely excited to have Hall at 26. But since I really like him a lot, he will probably quickly become a top 10 pick and move out of Dallas’ range. :rolleyes:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Van Ness, I’m not big on. He does move better (testing) than I expected, but his play just hasn’t impressed me very much. I feel like I’m missing something when I see mock drafts with him going in the top 20 picks. I don’t know… I just don’t like him a lot. I’ve been wrong before.

Foskey is alright but doesn’t really get me excited. He’s pretty athletic and has good size… but, I don’t know. He just hasn’t really jumped out at me. I will say this about him: he was getting better fast towards the end of this season. He started slow and finished fast. If the team took him, I would have hope that he was just starting to grow into a good player in 2022.

I’ll tell you who I like that reminds me a whole lot of Nolan Smith: Derick Hall. He is the same height and a little bit heavier. He’s just a slightly thicker Smith. He is a known leader on his team (permanent team Captain) and is way better setting the edge in the run game than you think he would be… just like Smith. And like Smith, Hall plays a violent brand of football and is a very strong player. They are both very similar players from big SEC schools.

Hall ran an unofficial 4.57 in the 40, which will be an official time of about a tenth of a second faster, so likely in the 4.4’s… at 6-3 254 pounds. Almost 20 pounds heavier than Smith.

His 10-yard split is just a hair behind Smith (1.59 v 1.52) so the explosion is there for both of them.

Here are some of his positives from draft network. Tell me it doesn’t remind you of Smith:

Hall is an explosive pass rusher with a dense/strong build and long limbs. He should not be boxed in as a pass rusher that only holds value on third downs. Hall is a strong edge setter and run defender. His understanding of leverage paired with the usage of his reach and power allows him to hold up at the point of attack. His hands are heavy and powerful and he is a difficult blocking assignment for tight ends. As a pass rusher, Hall’s A-trait is his ability to convert speed to power. He uses that explosive burst to sell the outside track before using the long-arm and half-man technique to drive blockers into the backfield. He has shown a little bend to dip underneath offensive tackles’ hands to quickly impact the quarterback.

Anyway, I would get extremely excited to have Hall at 26. But since I really like him a lot, he will probably quickly become a top 10 pick and move out of Dallas’ range. :rolleyes:
Hall reminds me a bit of D-Law.

RS12

Reaction score
Not enough talk about Adebawore. I think his performance might be more impressive than Nolan Smith’s, or at least equal.

6’2 282
33 7/8” arms
4.49 40
1.61 10 yard split
37.5” vert
10.5’ broad

Very rare size and athleticism and his tape is good as well. Very strong edge setter that can win with speed and power.
Had a nice week at the Senior Bowl as well. Reports were he was virtually unblockable.

MAZEREZAM

Reaction score
Thomas Incoom is a late round EDGE that I’m going to watch. He was very productive at Central Michigan.

cnuball21

Reaction score
And yet just 12.5 sacks in 38 games. Never more than 4.5 in a season.

Guys with elite traits that don’t produce at the college level scare me.
He’s a unique study bc UGA rotates there’s DL like crazy and he was injured…but he had a pass rush win rate of 25% this past season before getting hurt which is silly.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Sorry it took me so long to answer. I had to get some stuff done.

I think Im on the same page. It’s just hard to see it with Van Ness - hard to explain. Foskey checks a lot of boxes and I think fits our mold but his 10 yard split was average. He’s probably a 2nd rounder for me.

Man Hall has been a fast riser for me. The more I watch him the more I like him. Add an elite 10 yard split in the 4.5s to the puzzle and yea, I’m in at 26.

tm1119

Reaction score
I asked that same question in this thread earlier.
Sam Williams proved he's a got a top future at WDE

, not sure it's a good fit at all tbh with smith
Yeah people keep saying things like “imagine what Quinn could do with Micah and Smith”…and I don’t think anything unless you want to play Micah as an off ball LB a lot. Quinn has 2 “hybrid” positions and we have Micah/Williams at 1 and Kearse at the other. Don’t see where Smith fits either.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yeah people keep saying things like “imagine what Quinn could do with Micah and Smith”…and I don’t think anything unless you want to play Micah as an off ball LB a lot. Quinn has 2 “hybrid” positions and we have Micah/Williams at 1 and Kearse at the other. Don’t see where Smith fits either.
Nolan would play the year 1 Micah roll just at WILL instead of MLB.

Basically take Barrs job on base downs and rush on nickel downs.

tm1119

Reaction score
Nolan would play the year 1 Micah roll just at WILL instead of MLB.

Basically take Barrs job on base downs and rush on nickel downs.
So you want to draft a guy in the 1st round to play him at a totally new position? Sounds like a pretty terrible idea honestly.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
And yet just 12.5 sacks in 38 games. Never more than 4.5 in a season.

Guys with elite traits that don’t produce at the college level scare me.

Like Cnu said, it's because Georgia continually rotates between their plethora of NFL first rounders.

Looking up Georgia's snap counts for last year, Nolan Smith took 188 snaps, but for comparison, Jalen Carter took 308... about a 40% share. How many NCAA teams in history would limit a top 5 talent like that to 25 snaps a game?

Smith's a surprisingly good run defender, he may be undersized but he isn't just a speed rusher. IMO he could legitimately take snaps at Will LB in base. Then Quinn could mix him into all sorts of pass rush packages.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Like Cnu said, it's because Georgia continually rotates between their plethora of NFL first rounders.

Looking up Georgia's snap counts for last year, Nolan Smith took 188 snaps, but for comparison, Jalen Carter took 308... about a 40% share. How many NCAA teams in history would limit a top 5 talent like that to 25 snaps a game?

Smith's a surprisingly good run defender, he may be undersized but he isn't just a speed rusher. IMO he could legitimately take snaps at Will LB in base. Then Quinn could mix him into all sorts of pass rush packages.
What are you basing your snap count percentage off of? Carter played in just 10 games and N. Smith played in 8 last season.

cnuball21

Reaction score
UG DL just dont seem to produce splash plays in college. Maybe its a system thing
It is…it’s why their DL / Wdge guys haven’t put up gawdy stats the last few years. It’s a unique eval but if you dig into some of the advanced stuff you can see why they continue to be drafted super high.