News: NFL considering pulling the plug on Thursday Night Football?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nobody likes Thursday Night Football. The players and teams don’t like it because if the extremely short week and the toll that it takes on everybody involved. The fans don’t like it because the quality of play takes a noticeable dip from games that are played on Sundays because of the short week. And shoot, the networks probably don’t like it either because they have to pay an extra couple hundred million dollars for games that they could have the rights to air on Sundays.

But in Roger Goodell’s quest for world domination and putting the NFL on your televisions seven nights a week, Thursday Night Football has expanded into a full season’s worth of games. A few years ago, it was initially expanded to a half season as a ploy to put exclusive games on NFL Network and boost the league channel’s distribution and carriage fees. Then the league opened the games to the highest bidder and created not one but two television packages and a Twitter deal. Now it’s impossible to remember week to week who’s broadcasting games between CBS, NBC, NFL Network, and Twitter.

Read the rest: http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/nfl-considering-pulling-the-plug-on-thursday-night-football.html

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I think having the first one be the Thanksgiving night game and running through the end of the season would be a good compromise. Only problem is you run into competition issues since only a handful of teams would have to go through the short week.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
Definitely need to pull the plug on Thursdays. Heck, I could even live without the Sunday night games but I doubt that will get pulled. Monday Night is untouchable.

_sturt_

Reaction score
So I guess I'm the contrarian.

I wouldn't say I love Thu NFL, but I certainly don't mind the fact that when nothing else is on that I want to watch, it's an option.

Not sure why, if it's okay one time of the year, it's not okay another time of the year. That doesn't make sense to me.

As recently as just this weekend, though, I argued for some common sense parameters that do not give advantage to one team over the other--ie, essentially that both teams should play at home the preceding Sunday, and not on Sunday night, all in the interest of ensuring that both teams get a full opportunity for sleep Sunday night, and thus, so that Monday practice for both teams is unaffected.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If they insist on keeping TNF, make it to where the two teams who play are coming off their bye week. Then they get 10 days rest until their next game.

Only problem I see is the logistics of it.....no team could play more than one Thursday night game and there would only be two teams a week on a bye. Maybe it could work, I don't know but I vote for scraping it too or start them after Thanksgiving.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
You guys are cruel. Just think of the poor folks in Cleveland and San Francisco who would be forced to watch their own teams on Sundays instead of other good games! Oh the humanity of it all.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
I'm also a contrarian. I like Thursday Night football though I would like to see better match ups. The idea of having TNF games from Thanksgiving to the end of the season doesn't address the problem. The key would be to make teams only play on TNF when coming off their bye.

I'd rather have TNF start earlier in the season and end at Thanksgiving matching up two teams coming off their bye. This does mean that Dallas and Detroit would always have their bye the week before Thanksgiving. If we changed back to an 18 game schedule with two byes per season the you could keep most if the the entire TNF schedule. Again, only have teams playing who are coming off their bye.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Thank goodness. I don't get the NFLN anyway so I would not be tempted to get it just to watch. :thumbup:

rynochop

Reaction score
Thank goodness. I don't get the NFLN anyway so I would not be tempted to get it just to watch. :thumbup:
Yeah, me either, I had it for a month for their teaser on Dish and remembered why I didn't miss it. That new morning show is kinda lame, other than Kay Adams.ha

erod

Reaction score
This is just one of many things they need to pull the plug on.

1. No more Thursday games except for the season opener and Thanksgiving. Dallas and Detroit only.

2. No more games in Mexico, England, Japan, Kazakhstan, or wherever else Goodell is drooling over.

3. No more Color Rush, ridiculous throwback uniforms that nobody recognizes, pink in October, camouflage in November, etc. Just a home and away uniform. People want to know who's playing the instant they turn on the game. (This is really hurting the college game.)

4. No more after-kickoff commercials.

5. Clean up the screen. I don't need to know that the Vikings backup running back had 3 carries for 9 yards. We have smart phones now for that nonsense.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they do away with the TNF games, then they should dump the stupid idea of the season opening on a Thursday night also.

I for one do not mind the Thursday night games. Even if it is 2 teams not as exciting to some. It is to others. Even if 2 lame teams play, you never know how good they may be at the beginnig of the season. But if it ends up being 2 bad teams. To me it is something on other than the crap on all the other channels.

What are you all going to watch if not football.....the rest of anything on TV is just as bad.....and if it was better, then you would watch it and not care what teams are playing, as you would be watching other stuff. Then if football is on, it should not matter to you. As if that game was on Sunday, then you still would not watch it.

What if the Browns and Jets were on a Thursday night, allowing you to get the Dallas game on Sunday...but now without TNF...on Sunday you get the browns and Jets and not Dallas....