News: NFL considering pulling the plug on Thursday Night Football?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope they do. Its over saturation
This.

MLB and NBA need multiple days throughout the week to fit ten gazillion games into seasons that have become way too long but having games throughout the week isn't a necessity for the NFL. Thursday, Saturday and Sunday night games are just greed personified.

<Some people should consider pointing fingers at the owners first before settling for the customary Goodell bashing. It's like they're treated like Saints or something. Pun intended.>

Tradition isn't a bad thing. High school football on Friday nights, college football on Saturdays, and the NFL on Sundays is special. Showcasing the league on Monday night is special. The NFL grew into a mammoth because it games were once-a-week (sometimes spectacular) events. Greed has eroded that quality. It can be fixed but at a cost that I'm sure the league (owners and Goodell) do not want to sacrifice for.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Definitely need to pull the plug on Thursdays. Heck, I could even live without the Sunday night games but I doubt that will get pulled. Monday Night is untouchable.

pretty sure Sunday Night is more untouchable than Monday Night at this point

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
At first I liked it, but it got old fast, oversaturation indeed, your not putting your best product on the field by playing ever thursday.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
I hate to sound sexist but most wives don't want to watch football more than a couple of times a week. Sunday is pretty much non-stop football, then you have Monday and Thursday and if you are a college fan you watch on Saturday as well. There is a balance in life and it even applies to football.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
pull_the_plug.jpg

PLEASE

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Doesn't bother me at all. All I watch are Cowboys games and the occasional red zone on Sundays at 1 if Dallas isn't playing. Doesn't hurt my feelings if I happen to be at the bar on a Thursday night and there happens to be football on. Plus this time of year Texas A&M has given up on having a great year and there's nothing else going on during the week football wise.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
pretty sure Sunday Night is more untouchable than Monday Night at this point
Absolutely. MNF is 100% pure garbage as well when it comes to game quality. If people really want to be nostalgic and have MNF be relevant, they would need to can SNF and give MNF the same scheduling attention plus flex options that SNF has. One could argue that the entire NFL schedule is built around creating the best SNF schedule possible. The other night games don't receive anywhere near the amount of attention and planning.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the Thursdays. It seems to me that it shouldn't be too hard to coordinate those games with bye weeks such that no team plays Sunday and then turns around and plays Thursday. That might mean not having them on weeks 2 and 3, before bye weeks start, and maybe weeks 14-17, after bye weeks end.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I like Thursday Night Football, especially this week. :)

It's one more game we get to see that probably wouldn't be available at all where I live if they did away with TNF.

robbieruff

Reaction score
I hope they do. Its over saturation
And it's a lame novelty act with the different colored uniform thing making the whole game look like an XFL or Big Sky Conference matchup in an attempt to drive further merch sales. The league's greed is reaching the level of insatiable and the pigs get slattered adage is certainly applying in this case. I would not mind it going back to an OCCASIONAL Thursday matchup between elite teams after a bye...but this every week BS needs to stop.

robbieruff

Reaction score
This is just one of many things they need to pull the plug on.

1. No more Thursday games except for the season opener and Thanksgiving. Dallas and Detroit only.

2. No more games in Mexico, England, Japan, Kazakhstan, or wherever else Goodell is drooling over.

3. No more Color Rush, ridiculous throwback uniforms that nobody recognizes, pink in October, camouflage in November, etc. Just a home and away uniform. People want to know who's playing the instant they turn on the game. (This is really hurting the college game.)

4. No more after-kickoff commercials.

5. Clean up the screen. I don't need to know that the Vikings backup running back had 3 carries for 9 yards. We have smart phones now for that nonsense.
Completely agree with your list. Although I think #2 won't happen. The league has been salivating over having a London based team for years and if you believe in the adage of "follow the money" it's bound to happen. Goddess and other before him see the type of "quoine" European soccer generates and want to get a piece of that action. Now, whether the Euro set will ever ACCEPT the sport to that degree is a whole 'nother matter.

erod

Reaction score
Completely agree with your list. Although I think #2 won't happen. The league has been salivating over having a London based team for years and if you believe in the adage of "follow the money" it's bound to happen. Goddess and other before him see the type of "quoine" European soccer generates and want to get a piece of that action. Now, whether the Euro set will ever ACCEPT the sport to that degree is a whole 'nother matter.

But what NFL player will want to play there? The taxes are insane, as is the cost of living.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Anything that hurts the quality of the product shouldn't be kept. I would like to see more Saturday games late in the season instead of Thursday games. NFL on Saturday and Sunday was always great to watch and the prep wasn't impacted near as much. Once NCAA is over, the NFL would absolutely dominate weekends.