News: NFL: Cowboys WR Michael Gallup happy to be '1,000 leaps forward' from last year at this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Gallup it seems is just happy to be back to the #3 WR on this team so he can finally beat single coverage and the weaker corner on D this year. Maybe he can mentally handle that better?
It's a role that better suits him IMO than being a No. 2. He can thrive in that role and be one of the better No. 3s in the league.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gallup it seems is just happy to be back to the #3 WR on this team so he can finally beat single coverage and the weaker corner on D this year. Maybe he can mentally handle that better?
I think most fans fail to understand that while you can return to playing from a torn ACL in 9-12 months, it typically takes 18-24 months before you are back to your former level, both physically and mentally.

Of course you may be right that Gallup is better suited as the #3 guy and if that's the case, he should do better this year for that reason alone.

I think with Cooks on the team, they will use Gallup more in shorter routes because catching the ball in traffic is one of his strengths. As a result, that may mean he catches more passes this year and maybe a few more touchdowns, but he may have less total yards as a result.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
Gallup really pissed me off when he stopped his routes early last year. There were a few picks that happened because he didn't play through. I hope he has a new mindset this year and gets back to what he was.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
On paper, this season's wide receiving corps may be the most explosive seen in Dallas in years from top to bottom. Health and execution will play major roles in their on-field potential.
Oline will play the biggest role. We have so many great weapons in both the run and passing game. I think we finally have a offensive system that can take advantage and we no longer have Zeke forced on us.

But the Oline has to block.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Gallup really pissed me off when he stopped his routes early last year. There were a few picks that happened because he didn't play through. I hope he has a new mindset this year and gets back to what he was.
Hes a punk.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's a role that better suits him IMO than being a No. 2. He can thrive in that role and be one of the better No. 3s in the league.
Sure, but how tough is it to be that #3 in this offense? Tolbert I am sure can do that. Unless his contract limits us I would think they would dump him after this season. AS long as Tolbert continue to develop. I would move on from Gallup and give Cooks the money to resign him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think most fans fail to understand that while you can return to playing from a torn ACL in 9-12 months, it typically takes 18-24 months before you are back to your former level, both physically and mentally.

Of course you may be right that Gallup is better suited as the #3 guy and if that's the case, he should do better this year for that reason alone.

I think with Cooks on the team, they will use Gallup more in shorter routes because catching the ball in traffic is one of his strengths. As a result, that may mean he catches more passes this year and maybe a few more touchdowns, but he may have less total yards as a result.
There was an interview with Gallup where he actually commented that he feels better being the #3 option so he can beat single coverage. And Im not one of these guys that does well hearing athletes use the term, "mental health" as an excuse.

If he can get back to making nice grabs in tight coverage and beating guys deep that will be nice to see. But guys like Cooks are just on another level in my mind. Im not sure 12 million per season is worth it for a #3.

BossRhino

Reaction score
Yeah Gallup is a career #3....and he's content with that. He doesn't seem to have much dawg in him. He's been living off of one good season. Jalen Tolbert is close to pushing him out, IMO.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah Gallup is a career #3....and he's content with that. He doesn't seem to have much dawg in him. He's been living off of one good season. Jalen Tolbert is close to pushing him out, IMO.
From what I am seeing, Tolbert has more to offer. A bigger play guy and more YAC from what I can tell. A bigger WR as well and more confidence. Working with Cook and Lamb are doing wonders for the kid. Amazing to see him bounce back after a terrible rookie season. Tells me a lot.

I really like the weapons we have on offense. Even at the TE level and guys like Luepke waiting in the wings with Deuce.

With MM finally handling the offense I think he finds a role for these guys. No longer are we hamstrung by ONLY zeke. And these dump offs and leak out passes to the backs are something this offense has been missing. And we have the playmakers do be successful at it.

You give guys like Pollard and deuce one on one over the middle with a linebacker and its a big play waiting to happen. Before the backs always stayed in to block. Another way to make them pay for the blitz is to leak these guys out.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oline will play the biggest role. We have so many great weapons in both the run and passing game. I think we finally have a offensive system that can take advantage and we no longer have Zeke forced on us.

But the Oline has to block.
The Giants' defensive front should provide an early indicator of what the offense can expect. Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence will do their best to shut down the run and New York got A'Shawn Robinson as another run stuffing body.

And the ceiling is still high for Azeez Ojulari and Kayvon Thibodeaux coming off the edges. The team should get a solid preview of how well the offensive line can keep immediate pressure off Prescott's right and blind sides, plus opening holes inside the guards.

Kwyn

Reaction score
The Giants' defensive front should provide an early indicator of what the offense can expect. Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence will do their best to shut down the run and New York got A'Shawn Robinson as another run stuffing body.

And the ceiling is still high for Azeez Ojulari and Kayvon Thibodeaux coming off the edges. The team should get a solid preview of how well the offensive line can keep immediate pressure off Prescott's right and blind sides, plus opening holes inside the guards.
Definitely looking forward to the test.

Their interior D-Line is no joke, so I think we’ll get an early idea of what happens when our run game is a secondary focus, at best.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Im curious to see how tough the left side is with both Tyler and Tyron plowing the way over there. And actually running behind Steele and Martin on the other side was money until Steele went down.

Pollard and the boys should be finding holes for a while until Tyron goes down.

If we can establish the play action game, then this offense can be amazing.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Their interior D-Line is no joke, so I think we’ll get an early idea of what happens when our run game is a secondary focus, at best.
Lots of youth at corner for the giants. We will be testing the early and often on the outside.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The run game may be considered secondary but it will still be needed to keep their secondary for focusing on stopping the pass only. Expect Wink Martindale to play plenty nickle but there is little reason to believe he will not employ some base dime if we are teasing with Tony Pollard.

Status
Not open for further replies.