News: NFL: Cowboys WR Michael Gallup happy to be '1,000 leaps forward' from last year at this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwyn

Reaction score
The run game may be considered secondary but it will still be needed to keep their secondary for focusing on stopping the pass only. Expect Wink Martindale to play plenty nickle but there is little reason to believe he will not employ some base dime if we are teasing with Tony Pollard.
I think it depends on the opponent.

If they have strong inside the box D, we are going to need to rely on passing.

Won’t be like that every week.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
On paper, this season's wide receiving corps may be the most explosive seen in Dallas in years from top to bottom. Health and execution will play major roles in their on-field potential.
Agreed. Line isn't quite as good. But I'm taking a pessimistic view. Maybe they'll be alright in this new offense.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Sure, but how tough is it to be that #3 in this offense? Tolbert I am sure can do that. Unless his contract limits us I would think they would dump him after this season. AS long as Tolbert continue to develop. I would move on from Gallup and give Cooks the money to resign him.
I'd like to see it from Tolbert first. Gallup has shown he can produce a 1,000-yard season. If we succeed passing the ball and our WR corps is a strength, I'd be hesitant to break that up for an unknown. Of course, maybe Tolbert will get a chance to prove himself this year. I just think if we have three 1,000-yard capable receivers, even if one of them is only capable of that as a third receiver, then that's something to value, not break up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'd like to see it from Tolbert first. Gallup has shown he can produce a 1,000-yard season. If we success passing the ball and our WR corps is a strength, I'd be hesitant to break that up for an unknown. Of course, maybe Tolbert will get a chance to prove himself this year. I just think if we have three 1,000-yard capable receivers, even if one of them is only capable of that as a third receiver, then that's something to value, not break up.
Well of course. All depends on how Gallup and Tolbert do this year. Im looking at next season. If tolbert looks the part. Have to make tough decisions these days with paying all these guys. 12M for a 3rd WR is a lot.

With all these playmaking backs and TE's they are going to get a lot of the action in this offense. Lets hope tolbert continue to grow. It would give us flexibility. And of course we would have to resign Cook.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Gallup it seems is just happy to be back to the #3 WR on this team so he can finally beat single coverage and the weaker corner on D this year. Maybe he can mentally handle that better?
Grand dad.

In the modern NFL 3rd WR and 3rd CB are starters. They will get a huge number of snaps. The 1-3 distinction is useless now. This isn't a 1985

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Grand dad.

In the modern NFL 3rd WR and 3rd CB are starters. They will get a huge number of snaps. The 1-3 distinction is useless now. This isn't a 1985
Wow, so the 3rd WR is a starter? Thanks young buck for letting me know that. LOL

1-3 is useless now? Sure buddy. I mean................without that kind of keen insight I would be lost.

1-3 is interchangeable? So Lamb and and Noah last year couldnt tell the difference eh?

You will learn how good Cook is this year. Watch and learn little boy!! :thumbup:

plasticman

Reaction score
Comparing Gallup's first three seasons to all other receivers in Cowboys history, Gallup had the 4th most receptions, the 4th most yards and 6th most TD's. Only CeeDee, Dez, and Bob Hayes had a more productive first three seasons. And he is our #3 receiver?

This isn't the first time it took a season and a half for a receiver to get back from that type of injury. When Michael Irvin got hurt and came back, I remember one analyst saying that Irvin might still be an adequate backup.

Anyone who is trying to write Gallup off is making a huge mistake. He is going to be a difference maker this season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Well of course. All depends on how Gallup and Tolbert do this year. Im looking at next season. If tolbert looks the part. Have to make tough decisions these days with paying all these guys. 12M for a 3rd WR is a lot.

With all these playmaking backs and TE's they are going to get a lot of the action in this offense. Lets hope tolbert continue to grow. It would give us flexibility. And of course we would have to resign Cook.
We restructured Gallup this year to create $7 million in cap space. What that means is that it costs almost as much next year to cut him as keep him ($13.050 million to cut; $13.850 million to keep). Because of that, I don't think it is likely that we do anything with him until 2025 (when we save $7 million by cutting him).

Of course, if Tolbert does show up big time and looks like he's as good as Gallup, we can make Gallup a June 1 designee or try to trade him.

However, I won't be surprised if we let Cooks' two-year deal play out and then move on from him. He turns 30 Sept. 25 so if we renew him after next year, he'll be turning 32 that year. With speed receivers like him, it's hard to say when the wheels might fall off. Might be better off at that point drafting another receiver to pair with Lamb, Gallup and Tolbert. How well Gallup and Tolbert play could determine how early we need to draft one.

goshan

Reaction score
I think most fans fail to understand that while you can return to playing from a torn ACL in 9-12 months, it typically takes 18-24 months before you are back to your former level, both physically and mentally.

Of course you may be right that Gallup is better suited as the #3 guy and if that's the case, he should do better this year for that reason alone.

I think with Cooks on the team, they will use Gallup more in shorter routes because catching the ball in traffic is one of his strengths. As a result, that may mean he catches more passes this year and maybe a few more touchdowns, but he may have less total yards as a result.
I personally think his strength is the deep ball and also sideline passes where he can use his high-pointing and foot coordination to two tap.
He has never gotten great separation on short or intermediate routes even when healthy.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Gallup it seems is just happy to be back to the #3 WR on this team so he can finally beat single coverage and the weaker corner on D this year. Maybe he can mentally handle that better?
Yeah, who cares that Michael Gallup was forced to play 9 months barely after having knee surgery to mend a torn ACL? What a slacker.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Maybe some of you will get your wish and Gallup will have another crappy year since obviously your outrageous board opinions seem more important to you than the Cowboys winning. I'm sure if he has a TD or a good game you'll be on here trying to belittle it or justify it as meaningless in some way.

This board :facepalm:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I personally think his strength is the deep ball and also sideline passes where he can use his high-pointing and foot coordination to two tap.
He has never gotten great separation on short or intermediate routes even when healthy.
He has caught a lot of deep passes over the years and he's really good at that, but with Lamb and Cooks on the field, his strength over them is his ability to catch the ball in tight and contested spaces such as the sidelines and the end zone. This is something McCarthy has pointed out as well in the past.

That's why I think he will get more passes this year and more touchdowns, but his total YPC will likely be lower.

That said, I still think Gallup will run deep routes and Lamb and Cooks will run short routes.

I just think when it's third down or the Cowboys are near the end zone, the plays will look more toward Gallup because he's really good at catching passes in tight windows and has great hands when making contested catches.

Mannix

Reaction score
Comparing Gallup's first three seasons to all other receivers in Cowboys history, Gallup had the 4th most receptions, the 4th most yards and 6th most TD's. Only CeeDee, Dez, and Bob Hayes had a more productive first three seasons. And he is our #3 receiver?

This isn't the first time it took a season and a half for a receiver to get back from that type of injury. When Michael Irvin got hurt and came back, I remember one analyst saying that Irvin might still be an adequate backup.

Anyone who is trying to write Gallup off is making a huge mistake. He is going to be a difference maker this season.
I will take that bet!!!

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score

I'm quoting this because I can only like it once.

Status
Not open for further replies.