NFL delays free agency until Thursday

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
rw54 said:
I agree with what you and Juke are saying. When we started loving the Cowboys they were built through the draft or undrafted free agents. We developed our own, not like the Raiders or Commanders did it in the 70's or 80's. Our identity was the college "find", undrafted free agents who hit it big like Drew Pearson, Cliff Harris, and Everson Walls. Its just not like us to sift through other teams players. I try to look at it as a team with a bunch of Jackie Smiths or Herb Adderleys. It's fine to supplement your core with outside pieces but the core needs to be Cowboys. But when you think about it, our Coach is a mercenary, so his players will be too.

Mercenary?

Jimmy Johnson was no different?
Wait, Charles Haley, Jay Novacek, Deion Sanders were not mercenaries?

The 1970's were 26 years ago. Its a different era, different rules and constraints that all teams are dealing with.

Parcells has upgraded to talent level accross the board while here. 15-33 before he showed and 25-23 and a young team with nucleus in place to make a SB Run

JJ
MB3
Witten
Flo
Glenn
Bledsoe
Ware
Spears
Canty
Roy
Tnew

1999-2002 draft we have only Roy Williams left on team - thats a big reason why this team is on a DECADE dry run - piss poor drafting and player personell. Patriots proved you can be a dynasty using the PARCELLS system.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Nors said:
iceberg said:
use technology and ignore me, dude. i just have to worry about people who post up pics of the coach mack'in down on his "good old boy" qb.[/QUOTE]

great post IceBerg - better yet work on that technology yourself oh wise one. And class again on your part:rolleyes:

who ever said i had class? sheesh GUNDERSON - give it up.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More Delays
NFL Pushes Back Deadline To Start Free Agency Once Again

Nick Eatman - Email
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
March 5, 2006 11:47 PM

IRVING, Texas - Once again the NFL Players Association and the NFL league owners ended three days of talks without a deal.

The only thing the two sides seem to agree upon is pushing back the start of free agency.

After talks broke down again Sunday night in an effort to get a new Collective Bargaining Agreement before the start of the new league year, the NFL announced the deadline has been postponed again - this time 72 more hours until 11 p.m. (CST) Wednesday.

However, this time NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue is expected to get involved. Reports suggest Tagliabue is prepared to take the latest proposal from the players and allow the league owners to examine it one more time.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the delay would give owners a chance to consider the union's latest proposal during a meeting scheduled for Tuesday in Dallas.

But it appeared late Sunday evening both sides had run out of time after the deadline had even been pushed back to the 11th hour Sunday night.

"The talks ended after the NFL gave us a proposal which provided a percentage of revenues for the players which would be less than they received over the last 12 years," said Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association. "After suggesting we extend the waiver deadline from six o'clock to 10 this evening, they gave us a new proposal which was worse than their prior offer. Quite naturally, we rejected that proposal and saw no need to continue meeting."

But Harold Henderson, the NFL's executive vice president for labor relations, said the union rejected a proposal that would have added $577 million for players in 2006 compared to 2005 and $1.5 billion in the six years of the extension. "It's an unfortunate situation for the players, the fans and the league," Henderson said.

For now, no more face to face negotiations have been scheduled between the owners and NFLPA in an attempt to land a new CBA. But both sides have bought another 72 hours to try to work out a deal. With the latest postponement, teams now must be in salary cap compliance by 8 p.m. (CST) Wednesday and free agency now is set to begin at 11:01 p.m. Wednesday.

That is, if the deadline is not pushed back yet another time. Obviously, neither side wants to face the consequences that come with the failure to extend the CBA.

While several teams were left scrambling before the first deadline and were forced to cut several high-priced players, the Cowboys still are in good salary cap shape, no matter when free agency officially begins and no matter if a new CBA is reached or not.

Without a new deal, the Cowboys will have nearly $15 million to spend in free agency. If a deal is reached, which would likely raise the current salary cap of $94.5 million to close to $105 million, the Cowboys would have anywhere from $20-25 million in cap space to spend in free agency.

Now they did release Pro Bowl defensive tackle La'Roi Glover last Thursday, saving $6 million in cap space.

But for now, Glover is the only cap-casualty for the Cowboys, who will likely join teams such as Minnesota, Arizona and Cleveland as the potential big spenders during free agency. In fact, the Cowboys have been ready to begin free agency since last week, and there are indications they will start quickly signing players, just as they did last year.

However, most teams aren't as fortunate. In fact, many teams were well over the salary cap all day Sunday, still hoping a deal would be struck in the final hours. But as Tagliabue said earlier in the week, the situation seemed as "dire as dire" could be.

"The talks ended today after the NFL gave us a proposal which provided a percentage of revenues for the players which would be less than they received over the last 12 years," Upshaw earlier Sunday evening. "After suggesting we extend the waiver deadline from six o'clock to 10 this evening, they gave us a new proposal which was worse than their prior offer. Quite naturally, we rejected that proposal and saw no need to continue meeting."
And moments before the NFL announced the latest deadline extension, Upshaw made a rather bold statement about the future of the league.

"There will be football in 2006,"he said. "There will be football in 2007. But we don't know what's going to happen in 2008. But I can tell you this, there won't be a cap."

Maybe that's why the NFL has stepped in to call a timeout once again.

Hopefully, this time some kind of agreement can be reached.

Either way, the Cowboys will be patiently waiting to get started in free agency.

Link

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
But for now, Glover is the only cap-casualty for the Cowboys, who will likely join teams such as Minnesota, Arizona and Cleveland as the potential big spenders during free agency. In fact, the Cowboys have been ready to begin free agency since last week, and there are indications they will start quickly signing players, just as they did last year.
I hope Eatman is right and once this thing finally hits the ground we take off running.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Nors said:
Mercenary?

The only "home grown" coach we ever had was Dave Campo.

Let's make it all "home grown", including the "home grown" talent we brought in during that era.

And another point, Coach Landry was a "mercenary" too. He came straight from division rival New York.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Alexander said:

Let's make it all "home grown", including the "home grown" talent we brought in during that era.

And another point, Coach Landry was a "mercenary" too. He came straight from division rival New York.

great - but he came to stay, didn't he? landry didn't come in and have to WIN NOW because he was 1) out of retirement and 2) back into it at any moment.

there seems to be a few people who just have problems with other fans not liking this direction. for the most part i this "this side" understands the business of the game and how it can take it's own route at times. and at times it's going to be a route we don't prefer - sometimes strongly.

why that upsets people i guess i don't understand. if you didn't like drafting aikman and getting johnson in here and building for the long haul, great. but would you expect people to go making fun of you for it or would you HOPE that they simply respected your opinions and went about their way?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
However, this time NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue is expected to get involved. Reports suggest Tagliabue is prepared to take the latest proposal from the players and allow the league owners to examine it one more time.

Mort overstepped his boundaries:

Read NFLPA press release issued at around 9:00 PM ending all talks. He scoffed at latest owners offer and said it was worse than initial offer.

Tags called at 11:10 and agreed to take players offer back to Owners for a Tuesday vote. Thats basically the offer the Owners ALREADY voted down.

Looks like Tags at 11:10 said give me 3 days, I'll get involved and try and broker a deal. I really don't see this 59.5% offer an agreed to deal.

1:00 in Dallas tomorrow - owners meet again! Deadline of Thursday AM? I bet they bump right up to the deadline again. Good news is eventually the two sides will have to reach a compromise.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Alexander said:

I don't really agree with this. Every coach in the NFL started somewhere else. You can't say that there all hired guns. Landry had never been a head coach before he came to Dallas. I'd say that makes him ours.

I'd say Jimmy Johnson was the same way. He coached at Miami but never anywhere else in the Pros. I'd say that makes him our HC.

I would view a hired gun as somebody who has been a head coach for another team and has left that team to come and coach elsewhere.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Bringing in Parcells
Firing Lacewell - getting Irelad in player personell

Drafting the following future stars, building blocks

Tnew
Ware
Spears
Canty
Witten
JJ
MB3
Crayton
Al Johnson

Brought in quality Vets like Terry Glenn, Key, Henry, Ferguson, Henry, Bledsoe.

5-11
5-11
5-11
1999-2002 drafts only Roy left....... Parcells has fixed our franchise and has long term interests of the franchise covered.

Save me the Henson QB hope post - he DID sign him and is developing him. If he was ready he'd beat out 42 year old VT, and the guy you hate - Bledsoe. But fact is he couldn't even do that. But Parcells with Henson/rOmo is trying to address LT QB situation. Bledsoe has 3-4 years left easy anyway.

God bless you and your anger Iceberg.
I've put you on ignore - something I've only done twice in 3 years here.

Regards and please do the same.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I don't really agree with this. Every coach in the NFL started somewhere else. You can't say that there all hired guns. Landry had never been a head coach before he came to Dallas. I'd say that makes him ours.

I'd say Jimmy Johnson was the same way. He coached at Miami but never anywhere else in the Pros. I'd say that makes him our HC.

I would view a hired gun as somebody who has been a head coach for another team and has left that team to come and coach elsewhere.

College/NFL coaches are all hired guns - jmo.
As one posted - Landry was a Giant just like Parcells.

Haley
Deion Sanders
Jay Novacek

We had some hired guns on that 90's SB team too. Thats the nature of the modern football era.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
College/NFL coaches are all hired guns - jmo.
As one posted - Landry was a Giant just like Parcells.

Haley
Deion Sanders
Jay Novacek

We had some hired guns on that 90's SB team too. Thats the nature of the modern football era.

I would agree that FA has changed everything. Having said that, I think you could go back as far as football goes and look at the way Head Coaches become Pro Head Coaches and you will still see that they all started somewhere. I suppose you could say that they were all hired guns but I just think it's the nature of the job. You have to get the experience somewhere. Nobodys starts out as a HC in Professional Football. Not a bad thing. Just the way it is.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This whole waiting thing has me singing a beatles tune in my head but changing some of the words.

Will we ever have a new deal,
Will it ever be real,
When I'm 64

I am not getting in a lather over the whole Commanders thing, I just want a darn deal in place, or to say no deal in place, so FA can start.

At this rate they will still be pushing the meetings back while playing pre-season games.

Just give it up for this year, say we will work with the current cap, start FA and then after that they can work all through out the year on getting the CBA set up for next year.

If you have managed the cap well and are in good shape this year then good for you, if you have not then bad for you and no boohooing about it.

Get on with it.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
fully agree. let's get a move on and quit trying to salvage a team or two who spent themselves into a hole. we had to dig out, so do they. that simple.

this is really making me just not care too much about the NFL.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just do it

No, it's not a Nike blog. It's to the NFL and its players' association. Enough with the delays. Enough with the broken off talks. Just get the dang CBA done. How can Gene Upshaw be taken seriously when every five minutes he's saying he's going back to Washington D.C.? I think he's just trying to get enough flight segments in order to qualify as a platinum traveler in a month so he can get free upgrades.

We should know something Tuesday when the owners meet here. If The Commish, Paul Tagliabue, can't pull this one off his legacy will be impaired greatly. From the people who covered this game a lot longer than I, it's the biggest difference between Tagliabue and Pete Rozelle. Rozelle could build a consensus even in the toughest times.

Posted by Todd Archer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 10:49 AM (E-mail this entry)

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Rozelle could build a consensus even in the toughest times.

I believe there were player strikes on Rozelle's watch as commissioner?

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl said:
Just do it

No, it's not a Nike blog. It's to the NFL and its players' association. Enough with the delays. Enough with the broken off talks. Just get the dang CBA done. How can Gene Upshaw be taken seriously when every five minutes he's saying he's going back to Washington D.C.? I think he's just trying to get enough flight segments in order to qualify as a platinum traveler in a month so he can get free upgrades.

We should know something Tuesday when the owners meet here. If The Commish, Paul Tagliabue, can't pull this one off his legacy will be impaired greatly. From the people who covered this game a lot longer than I, it's the biggest difference between Tagliabue and Pete Rozelle. Rozelle could build a consensus even in the toughest times.

Posted by Todd Archer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 10:49 AM (E-mail this entry)

Funny thing about it was they were showing a clip of Upshaw and some NFLPA lawyer.

The other guy was saying how you see some movies where the bad guy looks to be dead but then in a last gasp effort tries to make a last move and then is dead for good.

He said this thing is like that villian in that it is now done for good.

Wow either that bad guy is code named lazarus or he has 9 lives.

superpunk

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Funny thing about it was they were showing a clip of Upshaw and some NFLPA lawyer.

The other guy was saying how you see some movies where the bad guy looks to be dead but then in a last gasp effort tries to make a last move and then is dead for good.

He said this thing is like that villian in that it is now done for good.

Wow either that bad guy is code named lazarus or he has 9 lives.

I've been murdered by metaphors....

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk said:
I've been murdered by metaphors....

Well I am sure Tags can bang the devil drums and bring you back to life as well...since he is so good with bringing these deals back to life. :D:p: