NFL delays free agency until Thursday

calico

Reaction score
iceberg said:
agreed. watching millionaires and billionaires argue over money is just old and tends to kill the sport.

Last year was the first time where I cared for and got more excitement out of college football than the NFL.

The watered down product, the egos, the rich people *****ing over money...I can't take it anymore.

ZenItRam

Reaction score
This is a bunch of junk ... they need to get on with it ... agree to talk about CBA for 2007

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
calico said:
Last year was the first time where I cared for and got more excitement out of college football than the NFL.

The watered down product, the egos, the rich people *****ing over money...I can't take it anymore.

i am going to start paying more attention to college now. been hearing for years it was better, now since these "businessmen" can't put their heads out of their collective arses, i think you'll see a lot of people leaving before the "show is over" just due to a serious lack of interest in the core principles now.

sigh - guess i need some longhorn jerseys now.

superpunk

Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:
um.....You think they'll be worse with the CBA ?.....doubtful......depends on Which Brunell shows up......

The season certainly does not come down to some random bias guy on a message board.

I could go ahead and outline how your owners inept spending, resulting in a lack of any depth at all......and having to cut starting players, role players or no....will result in the Commanders faint playoff hopes disappearing, should they suffer injuries.....but we all know that already.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
iceberg said:
good point. it's not like you're rooting for a TEAM anymore, but like you say - laundry. uniforms. the past at times. the players we're given on any given year of FA coups is just again, patchwork. i'm tired of the revolving door of vets coming and going due to "business decisions" that force the "team" to be a thing of the past.

this is one of the biggest reasons why i hate the "superbowl or bust" plan parcells has us on. *even if we win* they're not "cowboys" doing it but hired guns and a plan thrown on the wall that stuck the longest.

i miss the days when we had a team, almost a family, to root for. now we have the cowboys, like any fan has their team sure - but as you pointed out, it's just a collection of players of the FA market someone picked up.

hmmm...

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Not for nothing..and I never thought I'd say this...but I kinda had more of an identification with the team when QC was the quarterback because, bad as he could be at times, at least he was "home grown"...

Same with Bryant...I'd take him in a heartbeat over Keyshawn...for the same reason.

I don't expect younger fans to understand this perspective..but when ya rooted for a Cowboy team that had Preston Pearson as the only guy who was on another team's roster, this stuff is a bit hard to get used to...especially because it's ALL about money.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
This team wins a Super Bowl or two 10 years from now all will be talking about the glory days of JJ, Witten, Ware, Bledsoe, Roy etc etc

Back to FA - Imagine how pissed Mortenson must be his whole weekend was ruined for nothing!

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
iceberg said:
it's hard to picture a nors post that in some ways *isn't* disturbing. :p:

well, there's disturbing and then there's DISTURBING!

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
iceberg said:
i am going to start paying more attention to college now. been hearing for years it was better, now since these "businessmen" can't put their heads out of their collective arses, i think you'll see a lot of people leaving before the "show is over" just due to a serious lack of interest in the core principles now.

sigh - guess i need some longhorn jerseys now.

Yeah hate to break it to ya, but the College game has some issues of it's own re: money. How can you get excited when the BCS is in place. The NFL and the NCAA are ******** when it comes to managing the most popular sport in the country.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
OT - I always love how people talk about the Commanders poor depth, without looking at their own favorite teams depth issues.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
NEW YORK -- NFL labor negotiations took yet another surprising turn late Sunday when the league and union agreed to postpone free agency another 72 hours, giving the sides more time to try to reach agreement on an extension to their contract.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the delay would give owners a chance to consider the union's latest proposal during a meeting Tuesday in Dallas.

Talks broke off earlier in the day, leaving dozens of veterans in danger of becoming salary-cap casualties before midnight Monday, when free agency was supposed to begin.

The breakdown in talks, though surprising, was typical of the topsy-turvy negotiations, so far: Just when things seemed darkest, they got back on track; and when it appeared a deal could be struck, talks fell apart.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
If I didn't like the cowboys so much, I'd give up on football right now.

The NFL has been pissing me off too much in the last year.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Nors said:
This team wins a Super Bowl or two 10 years from now all will be talking about the glory days of JJ, Witten, Ware, Bledsoe, Roy etc etc

Back to FA - Imagine how pissed Mortenson must be his whole weekend was ruined for nothing!

sit down and just realize there are MANY of us who will NEVER put bledsoe in the "glory years" dude. you don't play on a team for 2-4 years and constitute THAT type of "atmosphere".

THIS IS THE POINT you continue to miss as you shove YOUR "dream team" into a cowboys uni.

i do miss hutch. i do miss carter. i miss the times when we wanted to be a team and build a team. i miss coaches who at least thought they'd be here awhile, not the "1 year extension" club.

you'll see a LOT of us "older" fans very upset at these "dark" years when we wasted the "home grown" on the "must have my security blanket of my past" parcells is wasting the "home grown" on.

superpunk

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
OT - I always love how people talk about the Commanders poor depth, without looking at their own favorite teams depth issues.

Some teams actually have money to go out and improve their team's depth issues, though....not have to cut players and make the situation worse.:D

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
iceberg said:
good point. it's not like you're rooting for a TEAM anymore, but like you say - laundry. uniforms. the past at times. the players we're given on any given year of FA coups is just again, patchwork. i'm tired of the revolving door of vets coming and going due to "business decisions" that force the "team" to be a thing of the past.

It has always been that way since free agency.

And I hate to break it to you, but it was to a lesser extent even before that.

It is just that times have changed and you have gotten older. Our childhood heroes don't play for the team for ten years and retire in a tear-filled press conference that we don't see, but just read about in the papers.

This is a different game from the days when players used to have to get part-time jobs in the offseason to support themselves and their families.

this is one of the biggest reasons why i hate the "superbowl or bust" plan parcells has us on. *even if we win* they're not "cowboys" doing it but hired guns and a plan thrown on the wall that stuck the longest.

:rolleyes:

i miss the days when we had a team, almost a family, to root for. now we have the cowboys, like any fan has their team sure - but as you pointed out, it's just a collection of players of the FA market someone picked up.

hmmm...

Do you have a "family" to root for with a college team? No, they are gone in four years or less. So you are rooting for laundry.

It is like that IN EVERY SPORT.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Alexander said:
It has always been that way since free agency.

And I hate to break it to you, but it was to a lesser extent even before that.

It is just that times have changed and you have gotten older.

This is a different game from the days when players used to have to get part-time jobs in the offseason to support themselves and their families.

:rolleyes:

Do you have a "family" to root for with a college team? No, they are gone in four years or less. So you are rooting for laundry.

It is like that IN EVERY SPORT.

i never said college ball would be the "end all be all" - and you can "hate to break it to me" all day long - but i'm well aware of all these "facets" you're trying to surprise me with.

i STILL hate the current condition of the NFL.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
So when is the new cut "deadline"?

What this 9pm Est thing ESPN keeps flashing?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg said:
sit down and just realize there are MANY of us who will NEVER put bledsoe in the "glory years" dude. you don't play on a team for 2-4 years and constitute THAT type of "atmosphere".

THIS IS THE POINT you continue to miss as you shove YOUR "dream team" into a cowboys uni.

i do miss hutch. i do miss carter. i miss the times when we wanted to be a team and build a team. i miss coaches who at least thought they'd be here awhile, not the "1 year extension" club.

Save it - I saw the Staubach comeback against 49ers as a kid. Look up the year.....

I saw all the games since - Saw all 5 Super Bowls. I was there in mid/late 80's when we sucked.

We all want TO WIN EVERY YEAR. That 2003 team was fun - nice little run. I see a nucleus building - get over Bledsoe. We have pieces in place to win a Super Bowl or two.

And that will mean everything to the Dallas fans, for years to come.

No - JJ/Lacewell ruined this team 1995-2002 - Bill Parcells has done a masterfull job rebuilding this organization and team.

calico

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Yeah hate to break it to ya, but the College game has some issues of it's own re: money. How can you get excited when the BCS is in place. The NFL and the NCAA are ******** when it comes to managing the most popular sport in the country.

You are right about the BCS, but the college football season and product on the field is much more exciting to me than the NFL.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
good night - nothing happening here for another week.