NFL delays free agency until Thursday

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
iceberg said:
i never said college ball would be the "end all be all" - and you can "hate to break it to me" all day long - but i'm well aware of all these "facets" you're trying to surprise me with.

i STILL hate the current condition of the NFL.

So does this mean we get another diatribe of whining about the good old days and griping how Coach Parcells is just ruining everything with his "win now" mentality.

Have mercy.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends said:
So when is the new cut "deadline"?

What this 9pm Est thing ESPN keeps flashing?

ESPN reports that cap compliance has been moved to Wednesday at 9:00pm.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Alexander said:
So does this mean we get another diatribe of whining about the good old days and griping how Coach Parcells is just ruining everything with his "win now" mentality.

Have mercy.

hey...that's not a bad idea... :D

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Alexander said:

Have mercy.

use technology and ignore me, dude. i just have to worry about people who post up pics of the coach mack'in down on his "good old boy" qb.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
calico said:
You are right about the BCS, but the college football season and product on the field is much more exciting to me than the NFL.

Obviously the football's not better in college... But point taken. I think the difference it the atmosphere. 100,000 students and alumni packing the stadium, or people who have no "real ties" to the team. More exciting atmosphere in college.

But the schemes, talent, and speed are all better in the NFL. The BCS screws things up so bad, that was why I liked the NFL better. But with the current CBA fiasco is dropping the NFL real quick.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
ESPN reports that cap compliance has been moved to Wednesday at 9:00pm.

Thank you:)

rw54

Reaction score
iceberg said:
sit down and just realize there are MANY of us who will NEVER put bledsoe in the "glory years" dude. you don't play on a team for 2-4 years and constitute THAT type of "atmosphere".

THIS IS THE POINT you continue to miss as you shove YOUR "dream team" into a cowboys uni.

i do miss hutch. i do miss carter. i miss the times when we wanted to be a team and build a team. i miss coaches who at least thought they'd be here awhile, not the "1 year extension" club.

you'll see a LOT of us "older" fans very upset at these "dark" years when we wasted the "home grown" on the "must have my security blanket of my past" parcells is wasting the "home grown" on.

I agree with what you and Juke are saying. When we started loving the Cowboys they were built through the draft or undrafted free agents. We developed our own, not like the Raiders or Commanders did it in the 70's or 80's. Our identity was the college "find", undrafted free agents who hit it big like Drew Pearson, Cliff Harris, and Everson Walls. Its just not like us to sift through other teams players. I try to look at it as a team with a bunch of Jackie Smiths or Herb Adderleys. It's fine to supplement your core with outside pieces but the core needs to be Cowboys. But when you think about it, our Coach is a mercenary, so his players will be too.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
rw54 said:
I agree with what you and Juke are saying. When we started loving the Cowboys they were built through the draft or undrafted free agents. We developed our own, not like the Raiders or Commanders did it in the 70's or 80's. Our identity was the college "find", undrafted free agents who hit it big like Drew Pearson, Cliff Harris, and Everson Walls. Its just not like us to sift through other teams players. I try to look at it as a team with a bunch of Jackie Smiths or Herb Adderleys. It's fine to supplement your core with outside pieces but the core needs to be Cowboys. But when you think about it, our Coach is a mercenary, so his players will be too.

Get ready for a barrage of "So you'd rather have Campo"???? comments...as if there's no other alternative.

'Night kids.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I'm going to bed. I'm sick of these guys changing their minds 50 billion times.

These guys are morons.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
This offically qualifies as "cruel and unusual punishment." Endless teasing and nonstop horsesh*t. Enough already.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
NFL NOTES

Free agency delayed again

Wire Reports :bang2:

NFL labor negotiations took yet another surprising turn late Sunday when the league and union agreed to postpone free agency another 72 hours, giving the sides more time to try to reach agreement on an extension to their contract.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the delay would give owners a chance to consider the union's latest proposal during a meeting Tuesday in Dallas.
Talks broke off earlier in the day, leaving dozens of veterans in danger of becoming salary-cap casualties before 12:01 a.m. today, when free agency was supposed to begin.
The breakdown in talks, though surprising, was typical of the topsy-turvy negotiations, so far: Just when things seemed darkest, they got back on track; and when it appeared a deal could be struck, talks fell apart.
The union broke off Sunday's session.
"The talks ended after the NFL gave us a proposal which provided a percentage of revenues for the players which would be less than they received over the last 12 years," said Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association. "After suggesting we extend the waiver deadline from six o'clock to 10 this evening, they gave us a new proposal which was worse than their prior offer. Quite naturally, we rejected that proposal and saw no need to continue meeting."
But Harold Henderson, the NFL's executive vice president for labor relations, said the union rejected a proposal that would have added $577 million for players in 2006 compared to 2005 and $1.5 billion in the six years of the extension. "It's an unfortunate situation for the players, the fans and the league," Henderson said.
A mere four hours later, things were fluid again.
After a conference call between owners and league officials, including commissioner Paul Tagliabue, the league announced yet another extension -- the second 72-hour respite in free agency, which originally was to start Friday.
The deadline for teams to be below the salary cap was also pushed back.
Meanwhile, cuts had already started, but the extension to the deadline changed things.
The Oakland Raiders thought they would be forced to let quarterback Kerry Collins go, saving $9.2 million in cap space. The delay, however, gave them a reprieve. Center Kevin Mawae was cut by the New York Jets, although he probably would have been gone anyway because he is 35 and missed the final 10 games of last season with a triceps injury.
The Washington Commanders, the team believed to be in the most cap trouble, said they had released linebacker LaVar Arrington.
Other big names also could go if teams try to squeeze under a salary cap of $94.5 million. If a deal is reached, the cap could go as much as $10 million higher -- in other words, allowing teams to keep some of the players.
Alexander strikes deal
NFL Most Valuable Player Shaun Alexander has agreed to a $62 million, eight-year contract to remain with the Seattle Seahawks, his agent said Sunday night.
Jim Steiner said the deal is the richest ever for an NFL back and will net the league's leading rusher over $15.1 million in guaranteed cash.
"They definitely wanted to do this," Steiner said of the Seahawks bringing back Alexander, who set an NFL record with 28 touchdowns last season. "And Seattle was Shaun's first choice."
Jets keep Pennington
Chad Pennington finally resolved his contract with the Jets. The quarterback agreed to a restructured deal after weeks of talks, a move that provides salary-cap relief while giving him a guaranteed $3 million in 2006 with $6 million in bonuses.
Going to Kansas City
Commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced that Kansas City would host the 2015 Super Bowl if voters approve a tax to renovate Arrowhead Stadium.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg said:
use technology and ignore me, dude. i just have to worry about people who post up pics of the coach mack'in down on his "good old boy" qb.[/QUOTE]

great post IceBerg - better yet work on that technology yourself oh wise one. And class again on your part:rolleyes: