Aaron Ross

76578.jpg

Height:: 6-1
Weight :: 203
40 Yard :: 4.4
225 Pound Lift: 17 times
NFL Comparison:: Mike McKenzie, CB, Saints

Sporting news Breakdown

Coverage skills: Has all the physical tools. Is tall and athletic with long arms to jolt receivers and push them around. Stays right on receivers' hips in man-to-man. Considering limited starting experience, is surprisingly good at reading routes. Is adept in all types of coverage. Grade: 8.5

Run/pass recognition: Identifies plays well. Doesn't get fooled by play-action fakes or misdirection plays. Reads quarterbacks well in off coverage without losing contact with receivers. Grade: 8.5

Closing speed: Shows a great closing burst to make plays on passes in front of him. Can recover from false steps to close the gap on intermediate and downfield routes. Grade: 8.5

Ball skills: Uses long arms well to reach in front of receivers to break up passes. Shows the hands to make tough interceptions. On downfield passes, gets hands up to tip away passes while running stride for stride with receivers. Grade: 8.0

Run support: Is willing to come up and tackle but is not aggressive flying upfield. Does not deliver big hits. Has the size and strength to be great if he plays with more aggression. Grade: 7.5
Bottom line: Ross would have been a three- or four-year starter on most college teams but didn't get a full-time gig at Texas until '06. He has the look, demeanor and playmaking ability of a good NFL cornerback and great punt returner. He has the right combination of savvy, anticipation and bravado to make a big impact. Ross just must run well in workouts to solidify his status as a first-round pick.

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Aaron+Ross&hl=en

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I really liked that 1st video and wouldn't be sad if he was our 1st pick..

HardHittingRoy31

Reaction score
With Henry having issues with his knee's and Glenn on his last leg, a CB would make sense and Ross would be a great fit.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
One thing that doesn't get published about Ross very often is that he gave up over 50 catches last season for around 700 yards and 5 TDs and 40% of the completions against him were for 1st downs.

::shrugs::

Just thought I'd throw that out there too.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
HardHittingRoy31;1442539 said:
With Henry having issues with his knee's and Glenn on his last leg, a CB would make sense and Ross would be a great fit.

dude, just want to tell you that your sig is awesome :starspin

HardHittingRoy31

Reaction score
masomenos85;1442731 said:
One thing that doesn't get published about Ross very often is that he gave up over 50 catches last season for around 700 yards and 5 TDs and 40% of the completions against him were for 1st downs.

Now is that all on him or was there no pressure up front? I would say a whole lot of that has to go on the front 7.:bang2:

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
HardHittingRoy31;1442744 said:
Now is that all on him or was there no pressure up front? I would say a whole lot of that has to go on the front 7.:bang2:

I don't really know, the Longhorns averaged almost 3 sacks per game though, but I don't know if that's above average or below average in regards to the rest of the NCAA.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
masomenos85;1442731 said:

What's your proof?:starspin

HardHittingRoy31

Reaction score
masomenos85;1442756 said:
I don't really know, the Longhorns averaged almost 3 sacks per game though, but I don't know if that's above average or below average in regards to the rest of the NCAA.

I ask that question because that is all we here about Roy Williams. Well,Roy gives up the big play,this and that. I go right back to the front seven and see the production. In Dallas's case we had no pass rush.

You say that Texas had 3 sacks a game,which is nice,but I watched games in the forth quarter and they had no pressure at all on the QB. Just go back and look at the games they lost. I can bet that it can be traced to a lack of a pass rush.:bang2: :bang2:

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan;1442759 said:
What's your proof?:starspin

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/ross_aaron

Compares To: Devin Hester, Chicago Bears … A definite lack of man coverage technique, poor route recognition skills, hesitant in zone coverage, poor tackling form and marginal strength are some of the liabilities in these two players' games … Both are blessed with incredible quickness for the return games, but Ross is far from a finished product as a defender … Right now, he brings instant value as a returner and nickel back, but he will need a few years to see if he ever develops into a quality cover defender … There is a lot of Deltha O'Neal in this kid and if you need a shutdown cornerback, you are advised to look elsewhere … In his only year as a starter in 2006, he won the Thorpe Award as the nation's top defensive back, but nothing could be further from the truth … The media seems to get enamored by big returners and pass thieves and Ross is both of those … However, he allowed 51 receptions for 701 yards (13.7 avg.) and five touchdowns in 2006, as 20 of those catches resulted in first downs and 16 were for 10 yards or longer. In addition, he fumbled twice and was penalized four times.

HardHittingRoy31

Reaction score
masomenos85;1442772 said:

Compares To: Devin Hester, Chicago Bears … A definite lack of man coverage technique, poor route recognition skills, hesitant in zone coverage, poor tackling form and marginal strength are some of the liabilities in these two players' games … Both are blessed with incredible quickness for the return games, but Ross is far from a finished product as a defender … Right now, he brings instant value as a returner and nickel back, but he will need a few years to see if he ever develops into a quality cover defender … There is a lot of Deltha O'Neal in this kid and if you need a shutdown cornerback, you are advised to look elsewhere … In his only year as a starter in 2006, he won the Thorpe Award as the nation's top defensive back, but nothing could be further from the truth … The media seems to get enamored by big returners and pass thieves and Ross is both of those … However, he allowed 51 receptions for 701 yards (13.7 avg.) and five touchdowns in 2006, as 20 of those catches resulted in first downs and 16 were for 10 yards or longer. In addition, he fumbled twice and was penalized four times.

I like that website but not sure how much film they really breakdown on the players. Plus,it is only one opinion.Good job on the research.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
HardHittingRoy31;1442763 said:
I ask that question because that is all we here about Roy Williams. Well,Roy gives up the big play,this and that. I go right back to the front seven and see the production. In Dallas's case we had no pass rush.

You say that Texas had 3 sacks a game,which is nice,but I watched games in the forth quarter and they had no pressure at all on the QB. Just go back and look at the games they lost. I can bet that it can be traced to a lack of a pass rush.:bang2: :bang2:

I wish there was some way we could look at the stats on stuff like this. But even if Texas did lose the games that they lost because of a lack of 4th quarter QB pressure I doubt that was when Aaron Ross gave up all of his yards against. Sure maybe some of the time in the 4th quarter without pressure Ross gave up catches, I'm positive that did happen. But Texas only lost three games, even if Ross gave up 4 catches per quarter in those "non pressuring the QB" situations then you still have to account for 38 receptions against him.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
HardHittingRoy31;1442776 said:
I like that website but not sure how much film they really breakdown on the players. Plus,it is only one opinion.Good job on the research.

Oh no, I understand, and like I said I was just throwing those stats out there because it was something I had read a while ago and haven't ever really seen mentioned.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
masomenos85;1442772 said:

Ouch and double ouch no thanks in the first.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
last year the Horns had solid DL play...their LBs blew chunks (just horrible most of the year, except Derry)....and the DBs were pretty good....however, the CBs and Ss did have a lot of miscommunications when it came to coverage who was on who and such....so they got burned on pump fakes a lot.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
I would like Aaron Ross to be in our secondary that will soon be called "hard hittas" - Three 6 Mafia

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
HardHittingRoy31;1442539 said:

YES!

:bow: