News: NFL executives say Dak Prescott is a “tier-? quarterback”. Did they get it right?

zekecowboy

Reaction score
All offseason long we have written about whether the Cowboys should pay quarterback Dak Prescott, or not. The former fourth-round selection will likely receive a big pay day prior to the Cowboys’ first regular-season game against the New York Giants, and many on both ends of the debate have argued whether or not Dallas should pay number four.

When looking at the numbers on Dak, it’s hard to find a quarterback in the NFL that has had more success leading a team to victory than him. In his first three years in the NFL ,Prescott led Cowboys to a 32-16 record, two divisional titles, and has started every eligible game since entering the league. Since he took over as the starter the Cowboys have reached the playoffs in two of the last three years and have won one of the three playoffs games they’ve played in (not to mention they’ve fallen to Aaron Rodgers and Sean McVay who many believe are the best at their craft). In those games, Prescott has averaged a 64.1 completion percentage, 265 passing yards per game, and averaged a 95.7 passer rating. While the playoff numbers are impressive (even in the losses), the full picture shows a very, very productive quarterback.

The Cowboys have promoted Kellen Moore to offensive coordinator, moving on from Scott Linehan, in hopes of bringing fresh wrinkles and play designs to the offense. Dallas also went and hired Jon Kitna, who spent 16 years in the NFL as a quarterback and has been around the cutting edge concepts in Texas high school football. Combine that with the move for Cooper and you see the Cowboys are all-in with Prescott.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rterback-did-they-get-it-right-dallas-cowboys

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
A Tier 3 out of 4 Tiers QB? What a joke!

Can't wait for Dak to make many a critic look like total fools this season now that he finally has a creative O-Coordinator, some good WRs, a fully healthy Oline and good other talent around him.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
2 more days til training camp!

I will say that I missed the endless Dez threads this off season. I still don't know how we will survive another season without Dez!

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
BTB used to write their own articles right? Now the majority of what they and the rest of SB Nation sites do is primarily have opinions on other people's work. That site has really gone down hill. Bummer too because it used to be one of my favorite Cowboys sites.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
dak.jpg

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
BTB used to write their own articles right? Now the majority of what they and the rest of SB Nation sites do is primarily have opinions on other people's work. That site has really gone down hill. Bummer too because it used to be one of my favorite Cowboys sites.

I have been thinking the same thing. They really don’t give any insights as they don’t have access to the organization. They only quote and debate other articles. Kinda like what we do here.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are America's Team we don't do Tier 3 (personally I say Tier 4 as he needs mucho talent to even start under center) we do Tier 1.
Let me say that again....AMERICA'S TEAM with a rich history in Tier 1 QB not bus drivers who want to parasite a massive deal for themselves being supported by the other quality players surronding him!
Dak will go the way of Quincy Carter,Tim Tebow sooner than later!

NFL execs know football and know a dud when they see one!

Hadenough

Reaction score
All offseason long we have written about whether the Cowboys should pay quarterback Dak Prescott, or not. The former fourth-round selection will likely receive a big pay day prior to the Cowboys’ first regular-season game against the New York Giants, and many on both ends of the debate have argued whether or not Dallas should pay number four.

When looking at the numbers on Dak, it’s hard to find a quarterback in the NFL that has had more success leading a team to victory than him. In his first three years in the NFL ,Prescott led Cowboys to a 32-16 record, two divisional titles, and has started every eligible game since entering the league. Since he took over as the starter the Cowboys have reached the playoffs in two of the last three years and have won one of the three playoffs games they’ve played in (not to mention they’ve fallen to Aaron Rodgers and Sean McVay who many believe are the best at their craft). In those games, Prescott has averaged a 64.1 completion percentage, 265 passing yards per game, and averaged a 95.7 passer rating. While the playoff numbers are impressive (even in the losses), the full picture shows a very, very productive quarterback.

The Cowboys have promoted Kellen Moore to offensive coordinator, moving on from Scott Linehan, in hopes of bringing fresh wrinkles and play designs to the offense. Dallas also went and hired Jon Kitna, who spent 16 years in the NFL as a quarterback and has been around the cutting edge concepts in Texas high school football. Combine that with the move for Cooper and you see the Cowboys are all-in with Prescott.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rterback-did-they-get-it-right-dallas-cowboys
The above article is absolutely correct!!!!!

“I just think when it comes down to it, his accuracy is going to limit him because those three to four throws a game you miss, they get you in the long run,” an offensive coordinator said. Prescott, who had 13 touchdown passes against three interceptions when Cooper was on the field in 2018, polled almost exactly the same this summer compared to last, with about one-third of voters placing him in the second tier. “I think he is the classic 3, a high 3, where he really needs people around him,” a GM said. “When they got the receiver, he was better. When the runner is rolling, he is better. Play-action is very important for him.”

Prescott is clearly a “win with” quarterback for the Cowboys. Dallas can win with him starting. But they don’t win because of him. And Dallas will soon be paying him a ton of money.