News: NFL executives say Dak Prescott is a “tier-? quarterback”. Did they get it right?

Hadenough

Reaction score
We are America's Team we don't do Tier 3 (personally I say Tier 4 as he needs mucho talent to even start under center) we do Tier 1.
Let me say that again....AMERICA'S TEAM with a rich history in Tier 1 QB not bus drivers who want to parasite a massive deal for themselves being supported by the other quality players surronding him!
Dak will go the way of Quincy Carter,Tim Tebow sooner than later!

NFL execs know football and know a dud when they see one!
I think this article puts it in perspective for everyone. I dont believe you can win a SB with a tier 3 QB because of his limitations. The days of bus drivers winning a SB are gone because those bus drivers all had nasty #1 defenses and the league has put the clamps on hitting the QB and WRs over the middle that would intimidate those high powered offenses. The league wants offense and if you dont have at least a tier 2 QB you dont have a chance at winning a SB.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Clearly Dak is Tier 1. Especially in the playoffs when he outperforms Rodgers, Wilson, and Goff. Hard to find a more clutch player in the league, other than Brady.

I would have been happy with 2 but the fact they put Wentz over Dak and Foles disqualifies the entire article.

They should be trashed to death with that garbage poo.

GenoT

Reaction score
Well that's it folks, a third-tier quarterback, a running back that's holding out and a coach who's barely holding on.
We're doomed:facepalm:
But we still have Jerry Jones; the longest-tenured GM in the business. He’ll think of something...right, Jerry? Jerry...?

“One billion and one, one billion and two, one billion and...huh?...what was that?....oh, sure...right...I’ll think of something...now where was I?...oh, yeah...one billion and three, one billion and four...”

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Imagine how bad it would be if those same NFL executives were to tell us that development of all NFL player stopped after 3 years. That's it, it doesn't get any better. Elevating your game is just not possible after that third year.
Now had they said that I'd really be bummed out:(

TwentyOne

Reaction score
All offseason long we have written about whether the Cowboys should pay quarterback Dak Prescott, or not. The former fourth-round selection will likely receive a big pay day prior to the Cowboys’ first regular-season game against the New York Giants, and many on both ends of the debate have argued whether or not Dallas should pay number four.

When looking at the numbers on Dak, it’s hard to find a quarterback in the NFL that has had more success leading a team to victory than him. In his first three years in the NFL ,Prescott led Cowboys to a 32-16 record, two divisional titles, and has started every eligible game since entering the league. Since he took over as the starter the Cowboys have reached the playoffs in two of the last three years and have won one of the three playoffs games they’ve played in (not to mention they’ve fallen to Aaron Rodgers and Sean McVay who many believe are the best at their craft). In those games, Prescott has averaged a 64.1 completion percentage, 265 passing yards per game, and averaged a 95.7 passer rating. While the playoff numbers are impressive (even in the losses), the full picture shows a very, very productive quarterback.

The Cowboys have promoted Kellen Moore to offensive coordinator, moving on from Scott Linehan, in hopes of bringing fresh wrinkles and play designs to the offense. Dallas also went and hired Jon Kitna, who spent 16 years in the NFL as a quarterback and has been around the cutting edge concepts in Texas high school football. Combine that with the move for Cooper and you see the Cowboys are all-in with Prescott.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rterback-did-they-get-it-right-dallas-cowboys

I think they are quite right by saying he is a third tier QB.

I for myself see him more at the low end of the 3rd tier then at the top. But thats just nuances. To put him in the 3rd tier right now is pretty fair.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
We are America's Team we don't do Tier 3 (personally I say Tier 4 as he needs mucho talent to even start under center) we do Tier 1.
Let me say that again....AMERICA'S TEAM with a rich history in Tier 1 QB not bus drivers who want to parasite a massive deal for themselves being supported by the other quality players surronding him!
Dak will go the way of Quincy Carter,Tim Tebow sooner than later!

NFL execs know football and know a dud when they see one!
Execs and all the current and former players. Very few consider Dak elite. For me he is at the top of Tier 3 and bottom of Tier 2 for the same reason you pointed out. Dak's issues and inconsistency's at QB have been there since college and scouts said they same thing then that trouble him now. With all that though he does pull out some 4th quarter games so he does step up to the plate which is a huge plus.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Imagine how bad it would be if those same NFL executives were to tell us that development of all NFL player stopped after 3 years. That's it, it doesn't get any better. Elevating your game is just not possible after that third year.
Now had they said that I'd really be bummed out:(

Well, that was what Bill Parcells always said. After 3 years you know what you got in a player.

If he thinks this is also true for QBs idk. But what i have seen from Dak so far i think it is true for him.

He will get better i think but only in nuances of his game. He wont make the big jump some of us expect him to do.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Well, they have him at about 14th.
That is almost exactly where the vast majority of people have him
Some lower, some higher...with the highers usually us Cowboy fans
They have him at 17th. I have him about 12, so bottom tier 2. Overall it's not horrible. I have more of a issue where they have others ranked than I do with where they have Dak at.

Well, that was what Bill Parcells always said. After 3 years you know what you got in a player.

If he thinks this is also true for QBs idk. But what i have seen from Dak so far i think it is true for him.

He will get better i think but only in nuances of his game. He wont make the big jump some of us expect him to do.

That was actually a quote from Landry that BP stole/borrowed. It's true MOST of the time but it doesn't mean where they're at after year 3 is where they will be in year 8. It just means you know if they can play or not.

mcmvp

Reaction score
I would have been happy with 2 but the fact they put Wentz over Dak and Foles disqualifies the entire article.

They should be trashed to death with that garbage poo.

Disqualifies the article? This isn’t just one dude’s opinion that he decided to type out and post on a blog. These are the results of an annual anonymous poll of NFL GMs and scouting execs giving their opinions.

You don’t have to like the results, but it’s sort of silly to question the source material

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disqualifies the article? This isn’t just one dude’s opinion that he decided to type out and post on a blog. These are the results of an annual anonymous poll of NFL GMs and scouting execs giving their opinions.

You don’t have to like the results, but it’s sort of silly to question the source material

Not when those "results" ignore the "actual results".

Flamma

Reaction score
I wouldn't put Dak at tier 3. IMO he is middle to bottom of tier 2 with room to improve. Most tier 3 QBs are borderline garbage. If he was a true tier 3 there would be no debate about paying him.

About needing a good team around him. All tier 2 QBs need a good team around them to succeed. That's not a reason to put someone at tier 3.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I wouldn't put Dak at tier 3. IMO he is middle to bottom of tier 2 with room to improve. Most tier 3 QBs are borderline garbage. If he was a true tier 3 there would be no debate about paying him.

About needing a good team around him. All tier 2 QBs need a good team around them to succeed. That's not a reason to put someone at tier 3.
Tier 2 is where I'd put him right now.

EGTuna

Reaction score
For a different perspective than Mike Sando's Athletic article (that polled random team execs and assistant coaches), here's a tape and data driven article. That isn't just some idiot exec's opinion (there's a reason these guys are fired and hired all the time through the NFL Good Ol Boys network). The author of the below article (Cian Fahey) watches every pass of every QB from last season, and then puts the QBs into tiers. Not just having an opinion based on limited knowledge or exposure to a player (be it Dak or Andrew Luck or Lamar Jackson).

https://presnapreads.com/2019-quarterback-tiers-and-rankings/

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
All offseason long we have written about whether the Cowboys should pay quarterback Dak Prescott, or not. The former fourth-round selection will likely receive a big pay day prior to the Cowboys’ first regular-season game against the New York Giants, and many on both ends of the debate have argued whether or not Dallas should pay number four.

When looking at the numbers on Dak, it’s hard to find a quarterback in the NFL that has had more success leading a team to victory than him. In his first three years in the NFL ,Prescott led Cowboys to a 32-16 record, two divisional titles, and has started every eligible game since entering the league. Since he took over as the starter the Cowboys have reached the playoffs in two of the last three years and have won one of the three playoffs games they’ve played in (not to mention they’ve fallen to Aaron Rodgers and Sean McVay who many believe are the best at their craft). In those games, Prescott has averaged a 64.1 completion percentage, 265 passing yards per game, and averaged a 95.7 passer rating. While the playoff numbers are impressive (even in the losses), the full picture shows a very, very productive quarterback.

The Cowboys have promoted Kellen Moore to offensive coordinator, moving on from Scott Linehan, in hopes of bringing fresh wrinkles and play designs to the offense. Dallas also went and hired Jon Kitna, who spent 16 years in the NFL as a quarterback and has been around the cutting edge concepts in Texas high school football. Combine that with the move for Cooper and you see the Cowboys are all-in with Prescott.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rterback-did-they-get-it-right-dallas-cowboys
I say let's get rid of Mr. "Tier 3" and then we can go 16-32 if we are lucky. That will really give the board something to complain about.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

The same execs who kept signing Sam Bradford? Who think Kirk Cousins is a good QB?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Same here.

And any ranking that's putting Prescott below his draft counterparts Wentz and Goff is crap. Neither one has accomplished what Prescott has to this point.

Facts.
I wonder where Jimmy G is? Because he wasn't much last year either.

lkelly

Reaction score
They can start by eating a bowl of D.

3acb3aaed835f012a1b67d11506dc500.gif

McKDaddy

Reaction score
For a different perspective than Mike Sando's Athletic article (that polled random team execs and assistant coaches), here's a tape and data driven article. That isn't just some idiot exec's opinion (there's a reason these guys are fired and hired all the time through the NFL Good Ol Boys network). The author of the below article (Cian Fahey) watches every pass of every QB from last season, and then puts the QBs into tiers. Not just having an opinion based on limited knowledge or exposure to a player (be it Dak or Andrew Luck or Lamar Jackson).

https://presnapreads.com/2019-quarterback-tiers-and-rankings/
Thanks for posting EG. I'm not sure how he could make this statement though "Prescott’s pocket presence, despite how many sacks the Cowboys gave up last season, is impressive".