Twitter: NFL fines Washington for their culture

erod

Reaction score
They should be fined another 100 mil for being dumb enough to remove their name, and another 100 for being too dumb to come up with a new one.
Snyder is genius for the new name. It ensures they're forever the Commanders without being the Commanders.

What do people call them?

The Commanders.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Snyder is genius for the new name. It ensures they're forever the Commanders without being the Commanders.

What do people call them?

The Commanders.

given they were known as the Commanders for 100 years or so and just dropped the name a year ago, people no matter the name will be slow to pick it up.

it will be a slow chipping away over time. No licensed gear with Commanders on it, no press coverage using the Commander name…I don’t think it will be a one or two year thing but one day you’ll realize hardly anyone uses that name

erod

Reaction score
given they were known as the Commanders for 100 years or so and just dropped the name a year ago, people no matter the name will be slow to pick it up.

it will be a slow chipping away over time. No licensed gear with Commanders on it, no press coverage using the Commander name…I don’t think it will be a one or two year thing but one day you’ll realize hardly anyone uses that name
....unless you don't choose a new mascot name and just go with the soccer-style name of Washington Football Team.

Everton is just Everton. Yet, people call them The Blues, The Toffees, and The People's Club.

West Ham United goes by The Irons, The Hammers, and The Academy of Football.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Why? Until some of these allegations are proven in court Watson should be allowed to get on with his life. Otherwise we've all been relocated to Communist China.

This so much.... Its sounds real bad for him right now but until some sort of "truth" is arrived at it needs to stay where it is as accusations. No one and I mean no one wants accusations to start being the reality....

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
....unless you don't choose a new mascot name and just go with the soccer-style name of Washington Football Team.

Everton is just Everton. Yet, people call them The Blues, The Toffees, and The People's Club.

West Ham United goes by The Irons, The Hammers, and The Academy of Football.

You're trying to equate a nick name...a nick name that probably gets used by announcers and sports media to the actual (albeit) former name that is intentionally not being used.

Unless I am missing something, Everton was never *named* The Blues, The Toffees or The People's club, those were just nicknames fans used. And there wasn't a concentrated effort to not use any of those names by announcers and reporters. Just like you can't get through a broadcast without Dallas being called America's Team, you probably can't get through a broadcast of theirs without hearing their nickname.

Outside of slip ups, broadcasts don't refer to them as The Commanders. Sports media doesn't either, even local media avoids intentionally using it. Some fans will occasionally slip up, other fans always call them The Commanders, but both groups will shrink over time as younger fans just don't have the attachment to the old name. This is especially true because this season where they went 7-9 and played the eventual SB champs some what competitively as The Washington Football Team was about the most success they've seen from any season where they were The Commanders. 2015 was slightly better, 2012 the RG3 year was probably the best season with 10-6 and a first round loss, but you have to go back to 2005 for a playoff win. The older fans from the 80s that are inclined to go against the grain will probably always call them The Commanders, but I don't think that group is large or sustainable.

erod

Reaction score
You're trying to equate a nick name...a nick name that probably gets used by announcers and sports media to the actual (albeit) former name that is intentionally not being used.

Unless I am missing something, Everton was never *named* The Blues, The Toffees or The People's club, those were just nicknames fans used. And there wasn't a concentrated effort to not use any of those names by announcers and reporters. Just like you can't get through a broadcast without Dallas being called America's Team, you probably can't get through a broadcast of theirs without hearing their nickname.

Outside of slip ups, broadcasts don't refer to them as The Commanders. Sports media doesn't either, even local media avoids intentionally using it. Some fans will occasionally slip up, other fans always call them The Commanders, but both groups will shrink over time as younger fans just don't have the attachment to the old name. This is especially true because this season where they went 7-9 and played the eventual SB champs some what competitively as The Washington Football Team was about the most success they've seen from any season where they were The Commanders. 2015 was slightly better, 2012 the RG3 year was probably the best season with 10-6 and a first round loss, but you have to go back to 2005 for a playoff win. The older fans from the 80s that are inclined to go against the grain will probably always call them The Commanders, but I don't think that group is large or sustainable.
Exactly my point.

The "nickname" for Washington is now the Commanders, so it's not official and Snyder is absolved.

Genius.

And the NFL is circling the drain anyway with academia and agenda continuing to press the league on the legal front. High schools and colleges will be forced to drop the sport in a few years because of litigation.

The NFL will follow.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’d say Snyder should be forced to sell the team but, well, then Snyder won’t own the team and Dallas is better off with Snyder at the helm.