NFL: Gil Brandt's 25 greatest NFL running backs of all time (Emmitt 11th)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sooo, when talking about the top 10 greatest RB's of all time the NFL's all-time leading rusher is ranked 11th?......makes you wonder why one of the top 10 don't have that title.
Is all-time leading rusher a title? Or is it just an adjective describing a career achieving stat?

Are we going to call Brees who will be all-time leading passer or Bruce Smith all- time leading sack leader as the greatest QB and DE of all time?

Not directed at you Ron but your post sparked the thought.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If he has no criteria and just makes up a list based on emotion, then me and thousands of other people are going to call it moronic.

Adrian Peterson at #14 is silly. It wouldn't be difficult to make a case for him as #1 overall.

I'm a big fan of Dorsett but I think very few people would rank him over Emmitt or Adrian Peterson.

I'm also a big fan of Bo Jackson the athlete. I think he is one of the greatest pure athletes that ever lived; however, his accomplishments at RB pale compared to the others. If the list is values pure athletic ability that highly, then Barry Sanders and Adrian Peterson would have to be much higher.
I’d definitely rank Dorsett above both as far as sheer greatness. And in one sentence you acknowledged Bo’s greatness but in the next dismiss it. And I’d put Sanders above all you have listed here for the reasons you’ve stated.

The greatest of all time isn’t a listing of greatest stats of all time. Their impact and talent level based on the list Gil provided had to place a greater role. Otherwise he could just copied the NFL all time stats.

I’d guess without Emmitts all time leading rushing mark and championships he wouldn’t have even made the list. But his impact and career achievement definitely elevate him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's his list, so he gets to use whatever criteria he chooses. I doubt he is looking solely at either athletic ability or impact - probably some combination of factors. My bet is impact and ability are the key factors, with some degree of longevity being applicable, but only to the extent that the RB played long enough to prove he wasn't a fluke. Pretty clearly he is looking at more than longevity based stats.

I have disagreements with Brandt on the list, but the biggest probably is that he put Dorsett ahead of Emmitt. I have to wonder if there is some bias in that choice given that he played a part in the decision to draft Dorsett.
Great observation !!

I’d place Dorsett ahead of Emmitt who had more talent and greatness. Not as much career achievement but as you said Gil’s criteria had a wider scope or would have just copied the NFL all time rushing stats.

Blackrain

Reaction score
How many fans here watched OJ run for 2,000 yards in Buffalo on that awful field and snow games behind a non playoff team?

That was greatness!!! And in 14 games. Only a handful of players in NFL history I’d even place in comparison with those moves and ability.
Sayers, Dorsett and Sanders for starters.

We usually don't agree on much but I am 100% with you on this . Its very hard to pass judgement on all these players as the circumstances in which they played are very different and contributed to there success and longevity in different ways . BUT Some Players were just so athletically gifted they made you gasp and OJ was that kind of player . Remember Howard Cosell saying in every game I heard him announce , Its just a matter of time before he breaks one and he would.

OJ if you watched him was probably the most gifted RB to ever play. He did it HIMSELF playing on a horrible team in worse weather . Eric Dickerson reminded me of him just a bit

That said Earl Campbell and Larry Csonka were very dominant players but in a different way . Earl Campbell seemed like he was playing against HS kids at times just unstoppable even with the whole defense knowing it was going to him .

Barry Sanders was of course a very unique talent that just made you shake your head in disbelief of how he could do what he did .

Always loved Emmitt and never felt it necessary to try and say he was the greatest RB ever as it just didn't matter . He is one of the greatest pure football players ever because of his consistency and availability to play at the HIGHEST LEVEL at all times in the ultimate team game where winning a championship was the goal . The STATS were just a byproduct of this consistent great play and uncanny longevity.

His athletic ability wasn't as breath taking as Tony or Hershel but his ability to be there for his team like the Giants game made him best of the best as a football player and that all that really matters

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d definitely rank Dorsett above both as far as sheer greatness. And in one sentence you acknowledged Bo’s greatness but in the next dismiss it. And I’d put Sanders above all you have listed here for the reasons you’ve stated.

The greatest of all time isn’t a listing of greatest stats of all time. Their impact and talent level based on the list Gil provided had to place a greater role. Otherwise he could just copied the NFL all time stats.

I’d guess without Emmitts all time leading rushing mark and championships he wouldn’t have even made the list. But his impact and career achievement definitely elevate him.

If stats don't matter, then Bo should be #1.

Neither Jim Brown or Walter Payton were remotely close to Bo Jackson as an athlete.

If the list is just runners wirh no regards to being a complete RB (blocking, short yardage, etc) then Barry Sanders should be top 3.

If it's 50% athletic ability and 50% accomplishments, then Barry Sanders and Adrian Peterson should be the top 2.

There are few ways to look at it that would make sense but none of those ways would result in the Gil Brandt list. Gil's is purely an emotion based list.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Neither Jim Brown or Walter Payton were remotely close to Bo Jackson as an athlete.

If the list is just runners wirh no regards to being a complete RB (blocking, short yardage, etc) then Barry Sanders should be top 3.

If it's 50% athletic ability and 50% accomplishments, then Barry Sanders and Adrian Peterson should be the top 2.

There are few ways to look at it that would make sense but none of those ways would result in the Gil Brandt list. Gil's is purely an emotion based list.
Maybe Bo would be #1 on your list but Earl and OJ top my list. And I didn’t say stats didn’t matter but not all of it.

My list would be emotional too. We’re all emotional about our football. Lol

There’s no set standard here and 10 different fans might list their top 25 differently. No big deal. It’s not set in stone .

I’ve found that the athletes who make an impression on you early in life or the first often rank higher to you personally.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe Bo would be #1 on your list but Earl and OJ top my list. And I didn’t say stats didn’t matter but not all of it.

My list would be emotional too. We’re all emotional about our football. Lol

There’s no set standard here and 10 different fans might list their top 25 differently. No big deal. It’s not set in stone .

I’ve found that the athletes who make an impression on you early in life or the first often rank higher to you personally.

Your list sounds like a list of favorites more than an attempt to rank the best.

My first response in this thread was that the Gil Brandt list is mononic.

I'll stay with that assessment.

FYI
Even in retrospect, Jimmy would not have preferred Barry Sanders over Emmitt.

Emmitt was more conducive to winning Super Bowls. His blocking, short-yardage ability, avoidance of lost yards, etc. made him the preferred player.

Jimmy did say that once when asked about Barry Sanders.

Sidenote: Emmitt has 96 TDS in his first 6 seasons compared to 62 for Sanders.

Blackrain

Reaction score

Your list sounds like a list of favorites more than an attempt to rank the best.

My first response in this thread was that the Gil Brandt list is mononic.

I'll stay with that assessment.

FYI
Even in retrospect, Jimmy would not have preferred Barry Sanders over Emmitt.

Emmitt was more conducive to winning Super Bowls. His blocking, short-yardage ability, avoidance of lost yards, etc. made him the preferred player.

Jimmy did say that once when asked about Barry Sanders.

Sidenote: Emmitt has 96 TDS in his first 6 seasons compared to 62 for Sanders.

Exactly Emmitt had what it took to win SBs with his consistent high level of play pounding out yards. Barry could excite you with his freakish athleticism and ability to make people miss.
Two different styles but both great to watch . Too much work for me to obsess over who was the greatest .

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I said earlier in the thread that I wasn’t alone in thinking Emmitt wasn’t the ‘best ever’, I wasn’t really agreeing with Gil’s list (Emmitt at 11th is nonsense imo).

I agree that there are many in the conversation as best ever. Emmitt is part of that conversation with about 3 or 4 others. The bottom line is that there are just so many great RBs that’s it’s hard to pick a clear “#1”. This is not a slight on Emmitt. He’s on the Mount Rushmore of RBs. That should be enough.

The other difficulty is that not everyone will use the same criteria in deciding who is best. For example, Emmitt's status would be elevated if a key criteria were number of years playing at an elite level, but others would be elevated if the criteria were simply level of excellence for whatever length of time a RB played. I suspect Brandt gave much heavier consideration to level of play at the peak of a player's career than to the number of years playing at a high level.

aikemirv

Reaction score
When you are a former Cowboy, who makes a stupid ranking that dishes a former Cowboy, you just make yourself look stupid IMO instead of impartial!

Big_D

Reaction score
Emmitt is the best all around running back ever. Run, catch, block, finesse, power. He did it all.

BigD_95

Reaction score
This is a joke. Emmitt is clearly the best overall RB ever and has the numbers to back it up.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Emmitt stood the test of time better than about anyone I can think of. If that's not enough, he played his absolute best in the games that counted the most. If that's not worthy of being in the top three, I surely can't imagine what would be. He was forever the ultimate RB in being reliably excellent and a true champion in every sense of the word.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Emmitt and Walter Payton are the two best I ever saw.
Great Goal-Line and Short Yardage backs.
Great Inside Runners...tough,physical.
Could go out-side also.
Excellent pass-receivers.
But what seperates these 2 from the others...they were outstanding blockers...and that is an area that gets over looked with Emmitt.
He was not just a willing blocker...he was outstanding.

and I never remember Emmitt getting caught from behind...interesting for a guy that some say didnt have speed.

for my money...Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith are the 2 greatest I had the pleasure to watch.
Loved Tony D.
but Walter and Emmitt are the greatest.

Excellent post!! I like to think of Walter Payton as Emmitt before Emmitt.