NFL: Gil Brandt's 25 greatest NFL running backs of all time (Emmitt 11th)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Emmett is the G.O.A.T.
Straight up, GP. Barry had a higher peak, same with AD, but Emmitt's longevity, plus his ability to undress and destroy the psyche of the opposing D makes him the GOAT. Winner. Class. Warrior.

GOAT

(in before all of those members who "saw Jim Brown play" in a watered-down league and call him the GOAT/tho yes, his numbers vs his contemporaries, and how they've held up, are remarkable. Just not GOAT worthy in a league still trying to find elite talent to fill up their squads)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Bo Jackson is so overrated. He's the buzzword in these lists. I know that that is football treachery to some, but they fell in love with the mystique. Like *The Natural (Roy Hobbs). Sayers that high? Golly. And a Brandt article, too. Unfortunate.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Bo Jackson is so overrated. He's the buzzword in these lists. I know that that is football treachery to some, but they fell in love with the mystique. Like Bull Durham. Sayers that high? Golly. And a Brandt article, too. Unfortunate.
I can't put players with short careers ahead of those who not only have better accolades, but battled a long career.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3...n=fb-nf-sf193174917-sf193174917&sf193174917=1
Come on now!? Must be click bait crap right ?!
Emmitt is at least top 3. I’ll give people Barry and Payton. I don’t really agree with them. But I see their point.
Emmitt was great and his longevity and OL and offensive philosophy are why he holds the record.
However, Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders, Walter Peyton, OJ Simpson were all far better running backs. Then Marcus Allen, Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell and others are right there as well. Holding the all time yardage record is great, but that doesn’t mean you were the greatest RB.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Emmitt was great and his longevity and OL and offensive philosophy are why he holds the record.
However, Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders, Walter Peyton, OJ Simpson were all far better running backs. Then Marcus Allen, Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell and others are right there as well. Holding the all time yardage record is great, but that doesn’t mean you were the greatest RB.
Being a RB (FB in the case of Brown) during a time when half the league was deploying scrubs off their couches doesn't make you the best ever, either

it just gives you insane stat anomalies

And still, Emmitt has dem all-time stats, mostly. In a time when the league was rich in talent. GOAT. And those rings. And he was never, ever the passenger on our Championship trips.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
1. Barry
2. Jim
3. Emmitt or Walter, haven’t decided

But 11th? That’s criminal. It’s an easy test: put Barry Sanders and Jim Brown on the Cowboys. Do they win 3 superbowls and the player breaks all time rushing mark? YES. Put Curtis Martin, Earl Campbell, Ladainian Tomlinson, Tony Dorsett, that Commanders FB who’s name eludes me on the Cowboys. Do they accomplish these things? Possibly, but maybe not. Ergo, Emmitt is above them.