NFL Halftime Show

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Why did they wear jock straps on their head?

I don’t know why he did that. It’s a vague reference to one of the songs on his new record being about the superficiality of Hollywood, and plastic surgery, specifically.

Most people did not get the reference, obviously.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it was the worst ever but it was pretty bad. The mix was terrible. You couldn't understand anything he said. And what's with a bunch of people jumping around with jock straps on their heads?

The mix was awful. I have a history in professional audio and video, and was cringing the whole time.

kskboys

Reaction score
I have to agree, worst I've ever seen. Ick. I couldn't detect any melody at all. Yes, I'm old!!!!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I can't recall watching a Super Bowl halftime show since Prince performed. Have not really cared to watch any of the other acts since him. I didn't watch this one but have heard all manner of characterizations of it that have me curious to go back and watch. Somebody said there was some skit or some such that depicted white people as goose stepping *****? What the hell? I have to watch it now just to see if this is true.. Not a huge fan of Mr. Weekend's music.. I can take it or leave.. I know 2 or 3 of his songs.. I suspect my 20 year old daughter knows them all. Okay I just FF through the whole show.. I couldn't find the goose stepping.. Was the guys with the underwear on their heads thought to be depicting white people? But they seemed to be depicting 'social distancing'. I'm confused now..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It seemed like most people I was watching the game with on zoom enjoyed the halftime show, besides two boomers with the musical taste of a moldy onion, who both constantly post on Facebook about how dumb the younger generation is, and how stupid and lazy we are, so that’s to be expected.

I personally thought The Weeknd’s show was underwhelming, not because of his vocal performance, which was great per the usual, but because the audio mixing was awful, and the camerawork was weird. The songs flowed oddly, too.

Besides that I thought it was an interesting show and I appreciate the attempt at something different.

I liked some of the songs, and he's an artist that my friend likes a lot, so there was that haha. It wasn't terrible, but definitely not my favourite. Can we get back to rock next year? With the SB being in LA next, can we have Metallica as the halftime show?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
It wasn't great. They just need to have Bruno Mars do it every year. I'm not a fan of his music, but he's a hell of a performer.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
It seemed like most people I was watching the game with on zoom enjoyed the halftime show, besides two boomers with the musical taste of a moldy onion, who both constantly post on Facebook about how dumb the younger generation is, and how stupid and lazy we are, so that’s to be expected.

I personally thought The Weeknd’s show was underwhelming, not because of his vocal performance, which was great per the usual, but because the audio mixing was awful, and the camerawork was weird. The songs flowed oddly, too.

Besides that I thought it was an interesting show and I appreciate the attempt at something different.
I'm one of the moldy onions, and I thought it was fine. The audio mix was obviously a problem, and I don't think he's a particularly dynamic performer, but I thought the production was original and interesting and it moved along well. It held my attention, which I can't usually say about a halftime show.

paladin

Reaction score
Your parents likely felt the same about your music. It's a rite of passage into middle/old age, hating the music of the younger generation.
Nods.
Excellent point
My parents thought Rick Astley, Wham!, Toni Basil & Starship were simply terrible.
For some reason they preferred Hank Williams, Sinatra and Mozart.
What obvious fools they were.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I thought the halftime show was passable. It was certainly better than Adam Levine's awful Super Bowl halftime performance, but it was far from the best. In recent years, I thought Bruno Mars performed well. I thought the show with Shakira and JLo was quite good.

I usually don't pay much attention to the commercials, but the M&M ad was a train wreck -- one of the worst ones in SB history. What were they thinking?