NFL History: Keeping a HC in his 5th season on last yr of his contract is not smart

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFL history has made it clear: In the last 56 seasons, if an NFL head coach is going to win a Super Bowl with their current team, it needs to happen during their first 4 years with that team. Why? Only 5 NFL head coaches in the Super Bowl era have won a Super Bowl in their fifth year or more with their current team.

These are the coaches that did that: Andy Reid, Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, Bill Cowher, and John Madden.

The bad news about that list is 4 of those 5 names last coached in the NFL over 20 years ago. Only Andy Reid is a current coach who has won a SB after 4 seasons with their current team. Kyle Shanahan could join that list if the niners win the SB in two weeks. But he’s at least taken two other teams to NFC championship games. So he’s been very close before.

I mention this for 3 reasons:
  1. Mike McCarthy is entering the 5th year of his head coaching tenure. And in his 4 previous seasons we have won one playoff game. (So we’re supposed to believe we’re close?)
  2. Jerry Jones is keeping Mike McCarthy onboard in the last year of his contract. He’s obviously a “lame duck”. How does that play in the Cowboys locker room when the players know Big Mac is already on the hot seat? If the Cowboys start the ‘24 season 1-3 will those players fight hard for their HC who has an expiring contract?
  3. Anyone remember how this played out the last time this team was in this situation? It was only 5 seasons ago in Jason Garrett’s last season. His contract was expiring. Everyone knew it. Garrett was finishing his tenth season with his future on the line. They finished 9-7 and did not make the playoffs. (In Garrett’s decade long tenure as HC, the Cowboys made the playoffs only 3 times)
So forgive me if I’m skeptical about the upcoming 2024 season. NFL History says it is extremely unlikely that an NFL coach in his 5th (or more) year with the team can win a SB. Maybe Big Mac will be an historic exception. But raise your hand if you looked at Jerry or SJ’s press comments post playoff loss this year and felt confident these guys know what they are doing? Not me.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFL history has made it clear: In the last 56 seasons, if an NFL head coach is going to win a Super Bowl with their current team, it needs to happen during their first 4 years with that team. Why? Only 5 NFL head coaches in the Super Bowl era have won a Super Bowl in their fifth year or more with their current team.

These are the coaches that did that: Andy Reid, Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, Bill Cowher, and John Madden.

The bad news about that list is 4 of those 5 names last coached in the NFL over 20 years ago. Only Andy Reid is a current coach who has won a SB after 4 seasons with their current team. Kyle Shanahan could join that list if the niners win the SB in two weeks. But he’s at least taken two other teams to NFC championship games. So he’s been very close before.

1. Mike McCarthy is entering the 5th year of his head coaching tenure. And in his 4 previous seasons we have won one playoff game. (So we’re supposed to believe we’re close?)
  2. Jerry Jones is keeping Mike McCarthy onboard in the last year of his contract. He’s obviously a “lame duck”. How does that play in the Cowboys locker room when the players know Big Mac is already on the hot seat? If the Cowboys start the ‘24 season 1-3 will those players fight hard for their HC who has an expiring contract?
  3. Anyone remember how this played out the last time this team was in this situation? It was only 5 seasons ago in Jason Garrett’s last season. His contract was expiring. Everyone knew it. Garrett was finishing his tenth season with his future on the line. They finished 9-7 and did not make the playoffs. (In Garrett’s decade long tenure as HC, the Cowboys made the playoffs only 3 times)
So forgive me if I’m skeptical about the upcoming 2024 season. NFL History says it is extremely unlikely that an NFL coach in his 5th (or more) year with the team can win a SB. Maybe Big Mac will be an historic exception. But raise your hand if you looked at Jerry or SJ’s press comments post playoff loss this year and felt confident these guys know what they are doing? Not me.
Belichick....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Andy Reid

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Belichick....
Incorrect. Belichick won his first SB with the pats in his second season with them. Sure he won a bunch after that but history says almost all HCs need to win a SB within their first 4 years with that team.

(From the first line in the OP: NFL history has made it clear: In the last 56 seasons, if an NFL head coach is going to win a Super Bowl with their current team, it needs to happen during their first 4 years with that team.)

You must not have read I did include Andy Reid in the OP.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Bill Walsh

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well, “not smart” is part of our organizational philosophy. We never do the smart thing. We do the feel good /least resistance thing

khiladi

Reaction score
Should have given him a 4 year contract then. I’m with Jerry on this one. I’m not paying a man 5 million dollars or whatever for free

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This history, the history of QB success after 8 years with one team, the history of the last 28 years of the Jonesboys. It's all against us going into 2024.
Off the top of my head, John Elway won back to back SBs after more than a decade with the broncos. But that was John Elway. Plus he had already taken several other broncos teams to SBs but they didn’t win.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Incorrect. Belichick won his first SB with the pats in his second season with them. Sure he won a bunch after that but history says almost all HCs need to win a SB within their first 4 SBs with that team.

You must not have read I did include Andy Reid in the OP.
Your statement:
Only 5 NFL head coaches in the Super Bowl era have won a Super Bowl in their fifth year or more with their current team.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Mac is a small part of the problem.
The GM is the major part of the problem.
Until that gets fixed, we are not getting anywhere near a SB.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Should have given him a 4 year contract then. I’m with Jerry on this one. I’m not paying a man 5 million dollars or whatever for free
If you’re a billionaire that cares about winning like he says he does you would. That 5 million shouldn’t be the same is as it is to us normal folks. He will make that back in no time flat

khiladi

Reaction score
If you’re a billionaire that cares about winning like he says he does you would. That 5 million shouldn’t be the same is as it is to us normal folks. He will make that back in no time flat
I get that, but that’s in value, not liquidity.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And Reid just happened to land the GOAT QB before winning.