NFL investigating Patriots for deflating footballs

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
NFL is a shadow of its former glory. Fantasy football and betting keeps is popular and relevant. Cheaters reign supreme

Don't know about reigning supreme, but the call reversals this year have be significant. Instant replay, and the microscopic review used to review the play, have taken some of the game away. I haven't been one to complain about the non catch in Green Bay, as I have to accept the rule, but the interpretation of that rule on Bryant is totally inconsistent with other catches having similar characteristics. With respect to the call reversal in the Detroit game, and assuming "face guarding" isn't pass interference in the NFL, I still don't see the interference, and therefore, would agree with the reversal of the call, but frankly, those kinds of calls take something away from the game.

With the game filled with non-calls anyway, why do we need instant replay on some of the calls.

EST_1986

Reaction score
They should have the league provide the balls.

They should have the league handle the balls once they are provided from the team, which the NFL weighs them before the game so at that point they should maintain the balls.

irishline

Reaction score
By the 3rd quarter they had already weighed the balls so no deflated balls in the 2nd half.

I believe his point was that they were deflating the balls (hence cheating) when the score was 0-0. In other words they tried cheating whether they needed to or not. I'm sure they would have won the game, so why cheat a the start of the game other than to gain an advantage over your opponent? It's not like they were down 21 and tried to cheat to get back in it (not that one is better than the other).

At the end of the day, its not whether or not something like this impacted the game. It is how it impacts the sport as a whole. If you let this go unpunished (or under punished) it sends a very bad message. And as far as the Patriots go, that message was already delivered in the fact that many think they already got away with 1 in spygate (whether they did or not). If not handled right all this is going to do is cement that feeling for many.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with that but you know that there are people who hate them and will use this to try to discredit their Superbowl win if they win it this season.

Cheating is cheating whether or not you "needed" to do it to win. If they were in fact cheating, their win should be discredited, because they broke the rules along the way.

EST_1986

Reaction score
I believe his point was that they were deflating the balls (hence cheating) when the score was 0-0. In other words they tried cheating whether they needed to or not. I'm sure they would have won the game, so why cheat a the start of the game other than to gain an advantage over your opponent? It's not like they were down 21 and tried to cheat to get back in it (not that one is better than the other).

At the end of the day, its not whether or not something like this impacted the game. It is how it impacts the sport as a whole. If you let this go unpunished (or under punished) it sends a very bad message. And as far as the Patriots go, that message was already delivered in the fact that many think they already got away with 1 in spygate (whether they did or not). If not handled right all this is going to do is cement that feeling for many.

If found that it was something intentional they should be completely punished and with a 2nd cheating violation under the same coach I think the NFL will bring some sort of big punishment.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Its ridiculous to have the home team provide anything they can possibly manipulate. The officials should show up with the 36 balls, allow each team to pick their 18, rub them down however they want in front of the officials, and then give them to league employed ball boys whose job it is to make sure no one does anything to alter the balls. The ball boys should be part of the officiating crew, not employees of the home team. This is the second time a team has manipulated the balls in a playoff game. If they did this, the penalty should be severe. Belicheat should be banned for multiple years if they did this. This proves that he didn't learn his lesson and is actively looking for every way possible to get an advantage even if its outside the rules.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Patriots will NEVER escape cheating scandal.

SPYGATE

They are 3-0 in Super Bowl when cheating.
Unfortunately 0-2 vs giants when not cheating.

They are chasing that Super Bowl win to validate or Atleast try to validate those three wins.

They screwed McNabb and TO.

Just saw this .... "Deflate agate"

Lol

They may never fully escape it, but in their mind they really don't care about it. They have their 3 rings and Kraft has his gazillions of dollars he raked in from the Super Bowl and the money he gets indirectly from those SB victories.

When SpyGate was covered up, I specifically cited that there is no reason for the Patriots to not cheat again if they know that the rewards of winning far outweigh the punishment of getting caught.

This is why I think I may only have about 8 more years of being a fan of this league. Goodell is an awful commissioner and can't see the forest for the trees. Eventually this stuff catches up to you and between the lies and the changes in the game the league becomes less fun to be a fan of.

Don't believe me? Just ask MLB fans.

YR

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Cheating is cheating whether or not you "needed" to do it to win. If they were in fact cheating, their win should be discredited, because they broke the rules along the way.

SO what would the NFL do about it if they found out that they cheated void the Pats playoffs wins this season or the Superbowl if they win it. Or would it just be fines and taking away draft picks?

Miguelitomama

Reaction score

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Anybody remember in the game when the Patriots were about to snap the ball, and they stopped play? They took the ball out of the game and replaced it with another ball. Simms said "yeah, you don't want to be playing offense with one of those kicking balls."

They showed a ball boy sticking that ball into a bag full of other balls.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Anybody remember in the game when the Patriots were about to snap the ball, and they stopped play? They took the ball out of the game and replaced it with another ball. Simms said "yeah, you don't want to be playing offense with one of those kicking balls."

They showed a ball boy sticking that ball into a bag full of other balls.

yup there was a delay for 2 mins, and then they stopped the play to switch out the ball.