Video: NFL: McFadden admits he and Randle will 'split carries'

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So far Murray has been limited in TC and did not play in the 1st preseason game, nor will he play in the 2nd. Chip supposedly said they want to limit his reps because he carried the ball so much last year...WHAT?
Man he would get blasted on that if he was on this team...but guess he gets a pass with the love fest in Philly.

We have the team being patient with the guys we have, from past lessons learned, with Austin, Matt Johnson, others. Keep the guys out until 100% for sure. Yes it can happen again, but also to any player at any time even without injury histories. But that's not good enough for some.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Why exactly is there "reason for optimism"?

If anything, there's reason to be worried. Already, this team has gone through 5 running backs!

Ryan Williams went first, then McFadden not once, but twice, followed by Dunbar, Randle, and then even rookie Gus Johnson!

How and why is that "reason for optimism"?

Hey Stash.

Maybe you should start a poll or two and go on record.

One poll can be a prediction of how this RB group will do as a unit, or even if they will be a unit once the season starts.

Another poll--maybe someone else can do this--would be an over under on McFadden games played.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey Stash.

Maybe you should start a poll or two and go on record.

One poll can be a prediction of how this RB group will do as a unit, or even if they will be a unit once the season starts.

Another poll--maybe someone else can do this--would be an over under on McFadden games played.

I'd be very interested in a poll, but I'm not too good on how to start one?

I know how to start threads, how do you start a poll?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So far Murray has been limited in TC and did not play in the 1st preseason game, nor will he play in the 2nd. Chip supposedly said they want to limit his reps because he carried the ball so much last year...WHAT?
Man he would get blasted on that if he was on this team...but guess he gets a pass with the love fest in Philly.

We have the team being patient with the guys we have, from past lessons learned, with Austin, Matt Johnson, others. Keep the guys out until 100% for sure. Yes it can happen again, but also to any player at any time even without injury histories. But that's not good enough for some.

I'm not sure that Miles Austin and Matt Johnson are examples you want to give of success...

:facepalm:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
McFadden admits he and Randle will 'split carries'

0ap1000000236552.jpg
By Kevin Patra Around the NFL writer Published: Aug. 20, 2015 at 08:11 a.m.

Darren McFadden conceded what we've all suspected for some time: The Dallas Cowboys will utilize a running back by committee. McFadden said he doesn't care who starts because he and Joseph Randle will split carries.

Continue reading...

The way I see this playing out, as long as both are healthy, is Randle will start and get more carries and McFadden will come in on passing downs. Although Im sure they will go with the hot hand on if one is tearing it up. Im just not sure they trust Randle in pass blocking.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure that Miles Austin and Matt Johnson are examples you want to give of success...

:facepalm:

Was not saying it as a success. But as a failure...they learned from that, so are now being more smart in their approach. Giving a player more time to recover and not "rushing" them back into practice or a game.

You can now slash off the over used face palm....

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Lol I'd love to see the threads from last year around this time. Basically just replaced Murray w McFadden

Yep, and had we resigned him, the same people would be complaining that Murray won't stay healthy and will be wore down from the load of the previous season, and we should have drafted an 1800 yard RB in the draft.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'd be very interested in a poll, but I'm not too good on how to start one?

I know how to start threads, how do you start a poll?
Yeah, we don't use polls enough around here, and it's really an effective way to get a bunch of people's take on something all on one page.

Just click the "Post a New Thread" button to start a thread and then look at the bottom of the page. It has the poll stuff laid out for you.

it looks like this......

Post a Poll
Question:
Possible Responses:
  • Allow selection of multiple responses
  • Display votes publicly
  • Close this poll after:
    • Hours Days Weeks Months

I usually have 3-5 answer options and always check the box to display votes publically.
Sometimes it's tough to frame the question without bias. Other times it's just a straight forward question like an over/under range

erod

Reaction score
McFadden's value is as an exceptional pass protector on obvious long-yardage passing plays. He's a Romo insurance policy.

He can also catch the ball out of the backfield and run a bit, but those are secondary to his protection skills.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Sad that so many fans here seem to be rooting for our RBs to fail this year to prove themselves right about Murray.

I don't see it as fans rooting for a running back to fail. I see it as fans using past information to predict future results.

We all do that.

If a friend is consistently late picking you up for school or work, you're going to make a guess about future results based on past behavior.

If a player has been hurt throughout his career, isn't it more realistic to assume that player is going to be hurt in the future?

Maybe that won't be the case, but that would be going against past information.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Why exactly is there "reason for optimism"?

If anything, there's reason to be worried. Already, this team has gone through 5 running backs!

Ryan Williams went first, then McFadden not once, but twice, followed by Dunbar, Randle, and then even rookie Gus Johnson!

How and why is that "reason for optimism"?

Your definition for "gone through" is probably different than mine.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see it as fans rooting for a running back to fail. I see it as fans using past information to predict future results.

We all do that.

If a friend is consistently late picking you up for school or work, you're going to make a guess about future results based on past behavior.

If a player has been hurt throughout his career, isn't it more realistic to assume that player is going to be hurt in the future?

Well, it's a good thing we didn't re-sign Murray then.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Yep, and had we resigned him, the same people would be complaining that Murray won't stay healthy and will be wore down from the load of the previous season, and we should have drafted an 1800 yard RB in the draft.

Thank youuuuu

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why don't you guys do an over/under poll on how many games McFadden will be available.
Seems like a hot topic and a wide range of opinions.

He played all 16 last year....but that was the only season he's ever done that.

I like polls because people are then accountable and on record for their predictions.
:hammer:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We all do that.

The cast is set. People wanted Murray re-signed. Didn't happen. People wanted a Peterson trade. Didn't happen. Currently people want a Chris Johnson type trade. Hasn't happened. May not happen. What has been true throughout the wishing upon a star chanting?

Randle. McFadden. Dunbar.

People don't like those three options. Everyone knows people don't like those three options. It's common knowledge. The concern had been noted months ago.

The unceasingly voiced displeasure kinda leaves a certain impression... like... fans rooting for running backs to fail.

Is that an unfair impression? Certainly but no one's attempting to lessen or erase the impression. Quite the opposite. People are digging in their heels even deeper by conveying their displeasure. Ergo others think there are fans rooting for running backs to fail.

I hope Randle, McFadden and Dunbar succeed. Go Cowboys.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah, we don't use polls enough around here, and it's really an effective way to get a bunch of people's take on something all on one page.

Just click the "Post a New Thread" button to start a thread and then look at the bottom of the page. It has the poll stuff laid out for you.

it looks like this......

Post a Poll
Question:
Possible Responses:
  • Allow selection of multiple responses
  • Display votes publicly
  • Close this poll after:
    • Hours Days Weeks Months

I usually have 3-5 answer options and always check the box to display votes publically.
Sometimes it's tough to frame the question without bias. Other times it's just a straight forward question like an over/under range

Maybe my phone sucks or something but even when I go into desktop view I don't see a button on the bottom that says anything about polls. I was trying to create one myself

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Sad that so many fans here seem to be rooting for our RBs to fail this year to prove themselves right about Murray.

Murray's gone. His choice - he took the best deal. Understandable.

We have guys who can run the ball and play good football. I'm pulling for all 3 of them to stay healthy and be productive. I don't see how there is any less chance of that than there would be if Murray stayed.

IMO it's time to rally around the guys we have. Anything can happen but there certainly is reason for optimism.

My concern isn't over Murray being gone, it's over having the players to replace him.

I can only speak for myself, but I would be ecstatic if the RBs we have succeed. I'm pulling for that, too, because then the team will likely succeed.

I just have no confidence in the plan to build that running game behind an oft-injured running back who's only had a couple of good seasons in seven and two others who have minimally carried the ball.

I will openly admit that I absolutely hope I'm wrong in believing we're making a mistake thinking these are the guys to replace Murray.

Last edited: