NFL Network on Sirius has Dmac

DFWJC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2034752 said:
Backs historically slip in the draft. Thats just how it is. I would not be surprised to see him slip a bit. The real thing that I'm interested in is Mendenhall. If DMAC slips, I wonder if we might have a chance to get a guy like Mendenahll, who I actually like better. He's a carry the load back to me. He could be a do it all player. Him, I would jump all over.

Mendenhall is intriguing. It could push everyone down dome if Dmac slips, but the Carolina taking may not do the trick because it still leaves the same teams looking for RBs left to grab Mendenhall and Stewart before pick 22. Now if he fell to Detroit....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DFWJC;2034777 said:
Mendenhall is intriguing. It could push everyone down dome if Dmac slips, but the Carolina taking may not do the trick because it still leaves the same teams looking for RBs left to grab Mendenhall and Stewart before pick 22. Now if he fell to Detroit....

Well, who are the teams that need a RB?

To me, Cards, Carolina and Detroit. Now, the Cards also need DBs and OL. Especially OT IMO. What's going to be the better value for them? RBs are not typically drafted in the early rounds. I actually think they might consider Cason here. He's local and that would be a draw for them. They may also consider Albert. He's probably better value here. Maybe one of the tackles. I would be doubtful if they took a RB.

Detroit is a candidate but I can not see them passing on a QB, DE, OLB or OT. They are in to poor a shape. Besides, if we can believe that there is a trade in place with us for Roy, then they are going to have a great chance to pick up a RB early in the draft anyway.

I just don't see Carolina drafting a RB this early either. I think they will try to pick up a QB or one of the highly rated DEs.

There could be a real good chance that if DMac slides, Mendanhall is available to us.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2034699 said:
When Galloway talked to Jerry about DMac and Jerry said he would *not* be trading up into the top 5-10, he asked him if that meant he would try to do something if he did fall out of the top 10. Jerry pretty much said that you'd be safe in your assumption that I would be very interested if that were to happen. (It may even have been stronger language than that.)
i thought he just said top 5? now it's top 5-10? jerry is fooling with you all.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Rampage;2035034 said:

sure. everything is a lie that would put dmac *out* of dallas.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Rampage;2035034 said:

Here's the article and some quotes.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115505

"I have no intent at all of moving into the top five," Jones said, while also stressing this was not a comment on McFadden's talent, but a fear factor of paying any rookie today's top-five going rate.
"A team can get crippled, and I mean seriously crippled, from a financial standpoint by being up there in the top five or six. It's a real negative.

"Nobody wants in there, and the teams in there, they want out. This is a very tough draft anyway when it comes to evaluating the talent, and then trying to match up that with the millions it takes to operate at the top of the draft."

I asked Jones, if McFadden started sliding on draft day, at what point would the Cowboys become interested. Jerry hesitated. Finally, I said, "How about out of the top 10, and he's there at 11?"
"You would be safe with that assumption," he replied.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Rampage;2035057 said:
thanks man, it's pretty funny how he asked jerry what if McFadden started to slide and jerry hesitated.

True, but the article does infer that Jerry won't trade up into the top ten picks. BUT....

But a personal disclaimer:

This is draft season in the NFL. Whatever you hear from any team may not be the truth. Actually, it probably won't be the truth.

A long-ago quote from Big Nellie on the NBA Draft is still the best B.S. detector: "This time of year, if my lips are moving, I'm lying to you."

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Arch Stanton;2035068 said:
True, but the article does infer that Jerry won't trade up into the top ten picks. BUT....
it's funny cause of what Coach Nelson said yet a certain member here comes at me cause i think jerry is not telling the truth when it comes to his draft talk.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Rampage;2035074 said:
it's funny cause of what Coach Nelson said yet a certain member here comes at me cause i think jerry is not telling the truth when it comes to his draft talk.

cause you've got mcwood and seeing what you wanna see.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;2035135 said:
cause you've got mcwood and seeing what you wanna see.
it's not just that, i don't believe it's anything he has to say about the draft.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
rags747;2034364 said:
falling to Carolina at #13 in their latest mock. I believe its Kirwin and his sidekick. This was in their new mock on Friday.

Does Jerry pull the trigger once Dmac is out of the top 10? How about you?
I think Jerry pulls the trigger if he knows for sure that both Boldin and Williams will not be available for a #1.

I agree. If neither of them are going to be available, I believe we make "the move" also.

Of course though, I wouldn't discount us using next years #1 if McFadden does drop that far. Suddenly the value plummets and we start having to pay less. Both could be had if he slips out of the top 10. A little more manuvering and we could parley a few of our other draft picks up into another #1 this year if we really wanted too and not even have to look into next years draft. Like how we popped back up into the first last year after trading away our #22 pick.

Thomas82

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2034391 said:
NFL Network had Lombardi (used to be with the Raiders) on the other night and he had him going #9 to Cincinnatti in his mock. He expects an early run on OL and DL. So a "slide" out of the top 10 is not an impossibilty.

With all the good RBs available in this draft, teams up high may decide to wait for RB until later.

Who would have ever believed 2 weeks before last year's draft that Brady Quinn would fall out of the top 20? You could have won a fortune betting on that to happen.

If you look at it a little closer, 12, maybe 13 of the top 15 teams in the draft order don't need a RB. I like our chances of being able to move up and get DMac. It almost seems like the Cowboys are destined to get him.

Here is a list of the top 15 teams in the draft order and who they already have at RB:

1. Miami (Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams)
2. St. Louis (Steven Jackson, Travis Minor)
3. Atlanta (Michael Turner, Jerious Norwood)
4. Oakland (Justin Fargas, Dominic Rhodes, Lamont Jordan)
5. Kansas City (Larry Johnson, Kolby Smith)
6. N.Y. Jets (Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Jesse Chatman)
7. New England (Laurence Maroney, Kevin Faulk)
8. Baltimore (Willis McGahee, Cory Ross)
9. Cincinnati (Rudi Johnson, Kenny Watson, Kenny Irons)
10. New Orleans (Deuce McCallister, Reggie Bush, Aaron Stecker)
11. Buffalo (Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson)
12. Denver (Travis Henry, Selvin Young)
13. Carolina (DeAngelo Williams, Alex Haynes)
14. Chicago (Cedric Benson, Adrian Peterdon)
15. Detroit (Tatum Bell, Brian Calhoun)
progress.gif