NFL Network's Mike Mayock On D-Mac...

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1952021 said:
...tonight on the NFL Network, Mike Mayock listed his Top 10 with Matt Ryan listed as #1.

In a surprise, McFadden wasn't in his top 10 and when asked about it, Mayock said he's just started watching the Junior's tapes and he's watched 3 of McFadden's. He said he wasn't as impressed as he expected to be and that although McFadden does have a great burst and speed, he said right now he "wouldn't touch him in the top 20." :eek:

Very interesting comments.

well if he falls to 22 i'll take him:eek:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1952757 said:
I'll disagree a little in that IMO, Allen never looked like much. He didn't have the spectaular suddenness to his game, he just somehow got yards. I think that's how McFadden is. Other than when he's running away from everyone, he doesn't look like that much... But then you look up and he has a ton of yards.

Even in the Cotton Bowl when he was in a national game and lots of people finally got to see him, I kept reading things like, "That was it? He didn't look good at all and didn't do anything." But the box shows he got 105 yards and 5.0 yards a carry.

I do agree on Dickerson, though. McFadden is the most similar I've seen to ED, though Dickerson was quite a bit heavier *and* probably faster. But then, Dickerson is one of the very, very best who ever lived.

Like IR said, this guy just jumps out at you as an amazing talent. But in the predraft overanalysis you see every year, people start thinking guys like Mendenhall (just as an example) are better because they are heavier or thicker or catch better or whatever.

And to answer IR's question, if DM drops to around 10 I say you absolutely do it.

We are not in disagreement. Allen was very smooth. He was like OJ in many ways IMO. He was not an exposive type runner but he was just so smooth and his ability to change direction was so effortless that he just made everything look very easy. A lot of people don't remember this about Allen but he was also and excellent short yardage back. He really was a talent.

I agree on McFadden. To me, his running style is very much like Dickersons. He's not as gifted as Dickerson but very simular in there abilities and styles.

I probably would not trade up for McFadden if he were at 10. If he slips to 10, then that means that all the other backs also slip. I'd probably try to trade up in the 2nd to take the back that falls out of the 1st round (probably Felix) if I were going to trade up. To me, Jones brings many of the same things to the table but will be less expensive. If you can get him in the second, then I'd probably do that rather then pay a premium for McFadden. JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1952769 said:
He reminds me of Ricky Watters with maybe an extra step, and there ain't no shame in that. Watters went to 5 Pro Bowls and was named All Pro three times.

Chris Warren in his early days in Seattle would be another good comparision IMO.

ddh33

Reaction score
Just to present the other side...

I already said that I wasn't as crazy about McFadden as some, but I'm more than willing to admit that he's going to be a very good pro - just maybe not the star that some have expected.

But Barry Switzer, who is supposed to know more about RBs than virtually anyone, thinks that McFadden is the best back he has seen in years.

So there's both sides of the argument. I just don't think he is as much of a sure thing as Peterson was.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
ddh33;1952845 said:
Just to present the other side...

I already said that I wasn't as crazy about McFadden as some, but I'm more than willing to admit that he's going to be a very good pro - just maybe not the star that some have expected.

But Barry Switzer, who is supposed to know more about RBs than virtually anyone, thinks that McFadden is the best back he has seen in years.

So there's both sides of the argument. I just don't think he is as much of a sure thing as Peterson was.

the fact that switzer loves him makes me more sure i am right.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Switzer has his flaws, but there's no doubt the guy knows runningbacks. He coached an offense for 30 years that put four of them on the field at the same time.

Verdict

Reaction score
Mayock is usually pretty much right on. Time will tell if he is right on this one.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Rampage;1952347 said:
bet mike mayock knows what it takes to make it in the pros..................oh wait:eek: that's right he couldn't cut it in the pros.

Which has nothing to do with scouting. Kind of funny most of your top scouts could never make it

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
BigDave95;1952714 said:
And teams can't put 9 or 10 men in the box and focus the entire gameplan on stopping him like they did in college. Watch some of the defenses he faced. These were top SEC defenses with NFL players all over the place. They had ZERO regards for the pass and would pull both safeties up close to the line of scrimmage and then shade their CB's to watch for the run first.
That's true, but it still doesn't change the fact that he seems to crumple on the first hit. I could be wrong about this, I often am, but I don't think so this time.

Iago33

Reaction score
Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one who couldn't see the halo above this guy's head. He has nice abilities, but I'm not sure how it will translate into NFL RB workload, and I wasn't blown away when I watched him.

zeromaster

Reaction score
Now here's a thought that will get me killed...

If DMac is considered more of a special-purpose back, what happens if you draft him and Barber goes out for an extended period of time? What are you left with?

It could be argued "well, what about Romo", but in this case we're talking about possibly sinking a serious investment into someone that's possibly not an every-down player. As RBs are supposed to mature much faster (instinct being a strong part of it), doesn't it make some sense to consider a well-rounded back rather than just pure speed?

Just throwing it out there.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
zeromaster;1953047 said:
If DMac is considered more of a special-purpose back, what happens if you draft him and Barber goes out for an extended period of time? What are you left with?
That is why I am an advocate for getting 2 new RB's this off season. One to replace Julius and one to replace Thompson.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1953050 said:
That is why I am an advocate for getting 2 new RB's this off season. One to replace Julius and one to replace Thompson.

We have to but what methods are best.

Two rookies?
A rookie and a FA?
Two FA?

I go for choice B.

If we can get Rice or Jones or Johnson or Mendenhall in our first three picks and then turn around and get TJ Duckett or the like for the third spot that would be ideal IMO.

I know Duckett isnt all that but hes a servicable vet that could step in in case of injury.

khiladi

Reaction score
What the hell does an every-down back mean?

Is Barber an every-down back? Last time I checked, he started only one game this whole season. We don't even know how Barber can last as an every-down back, considering he has always splitted time with another back, including in college. He also has a punishing running style which is eventually going to wear on you.

Further, this team has gone to a more pass-oriented attack, meaning a RB catching out the back-field is an added bonus.

BigDave95

Reaction score
TheSkaven;1953002 said:
That's true, but it still doesn't change the fact that he seems to crumple on the first hit. I could be wrong about this, I often am, but I don't think so this time.

I wouldn't say crumple.

He does have a tendency to lower his shoulder and try and run through defenders as opposed to going around them. He knocked two Alabama linebackers out of the same game with concussions earlier this year.

He has a devastating stiff arm and a ton of power. I wouldn't say crumple.

BigDave95

Reaction score
zeromaster;1953047 said:
Now here's a thought that will get me killed...

McFadden is a 30 carry a game, feature back. He's a between the tackles runner. He's not Reggie Bush and he's not some situational speed back.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;1953058 said:
We have to but what methods are best.

Two rookies?
A rookie and a FA?
Two FA?

I go for choice B.

If we can get Rice or Jones or Johnson or Mendenhall in our first three picks and then turn around and get TJ Duckett or the like for the third spot that would be ideal IMO.

I know Duckett isnt all that but hes a servicable vet that could step in in case of injury.

I choose B as well.

My choice would be Rock Cartwright.

He could be a #3 halfback and help on the special teams units.

MCowboys

Reaction score
zeromaster;1953047 said:
If DMac is considered more of a special-purpose back, what happens if you draft him and Barber goes out for an extended period of time? What are you left with?/QUOTE]

McFadden had 325 carries this year. Fourth most overall. More than Jonathan Stewart, more than Mendenhall, more than Hart, Slaton, and Chris Johnson. Yes, he did share carries, but Arkansas ran so much that he didn't exactly get a small workload. I think any comparisons to him being a Reggie Bush type special-purpose back are ridiculous considering that Bush never had more than 200 carries in college. Unlike McFadden, he never did carry it 25-30 times a game.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I think the idea that McFadden is just a "specialty back" is completely and utterly ridiculous. For the last two years he's averaged 300 carries against the best, most physical defenses in college football week in and week out. Florida, LSU, Georgia, Auburn. Start adding up the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round NFL defensive prospects for these teams. And they all came into the game with the same gameplan ... stop Darren McFadden at all costs.

I guess "skinny legs" trumps proven, on the field production in pre-draft analysis.

BigDave95

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1953127 said:
I think the idea that McFadden is just a "specialty back" is completely and utterly ridiculous. For the last two years he's averaged 300 carries against the best, most physical defenses in college football week in and week out. Florida, LSU, Georgia, Auburn. Start adding up the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round NFL defensive prospects for these teams. And they all came into the game with the same gameplan ... stop Darren McFadden at all costs.

I guess "skinny legs" trumps proven, on the field production in pre-draft analysis by paralysis.
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Finally. A voice of reason.