NFL Officiating Scandal

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Last night on NFL Live they had a segment reporting from the owners meeting where they discussed the rules changes. During this segment, they said & then reiterated to clarify that the NFL office officiated the Super Bowl under the catch rule that was just passed, not the rule that has been in place for the last however many years (& was still in place). When they went back to the studio, the panelist openly showed shock & disbelief at what they had just heard.

The NFL brass took it upon themselves to unilaterally change how the most important game of the year was officiated without anyone's input or knowledge.

So far, I haven't heard a peep out of the media questioning this.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Last night on NFL Live they had a segment reporting from the owners meeting where they discussed the rules changes. During this segment, they said & then reiterated to clarify that the NFL office officiated the Super Bowl under the catch rule that was just passed, not the rule that has been in place for the last however many years (& was still in place). When they went back to the studio, the panelist openly showed shock & disbelief at what they had just heard.

The NFL brass took it upon themselves to unilaterally change how the most important game of the year was officiated without anyone's input or knowledge.

And it wont be. No one will talk about it

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I'm going to guess that the owners gave the go-ahead to do this, probably to try out the possible rule change. Now, it might have only been a handful of owners. I doubt there's any scandal to it.

ESisback

Reaction score

Illustrates the media's true loyalty!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I'm going to guess that the owners gave the go-ahead to do this, probably to try out the possible rule change. Now, it might have only been a handful of owners. I doubt there's any scandal to it.
How can it not be? No one told the fans nor anyone was the implication the reporting left you with. So, two teams playing for the world championship & what 50 million viewers not knowing the rules the game was being played under. How does that not damage the integrity of the shield?

There was no urgency to change the rule. You started the year with a rule you should finish the year with the same rule. Besides, any other time they have tried something out they have said so upfront.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
heard that too. Sheftter even said that the Clement and Ertz TD's would not have counted under the "old rule".
I thought i had misunderstood something til they went back to the studio & heard their reactions.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The Clement one gets me. His foot was clearly on the line and he was moving the ball.

Ertz was a TD old rule or new rule, IMO. That just seems like common sense. But Clement's TD was a joke IMO.

That's probably what we're going to see more of, which is why the new rule will have its problems too. He should have had to get that foot in because he had not established control the first time it was down.

ESisback

Reaction score
Draft day is in Dallas...Give it time lol

The Eagles contingent will have something planned. Bill Bergey, Jaworski, etc., will be out in force, pounding their chest, waving their banners, doing everything they can to disgrace the Cowboys. They'll do their very best to ruin our draft party. An "incident" wouldn't surprise me.

gimmesix

Reaction score
How can it not be? No one told the fans nor anyone was the implication the reporting left you with. So, two teams playing for the world championship & what 50 million viewers not knowing the rules the game was being played under. How does that not damage the integrity of the shield?

There was no urgency to change the rule. You started the year with a rule you should finish the year with the same rule. Besides, any other time they have tried something out they have said so upfront.

No one had to tell the fans. There's no requirement for the league to do that. As long as the teams understand what rules they are playing under then the game is not tainted.